Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
The card reads:

"Fight: Going clockwise, the first other player with Colleen Wing in their victory pile rescues 5 bystanders and returns Colleen Wing to play fortifying Misty Knight."

This just got played in our 2 player game. The player that fought Misty is the only player with Colleen Wing in her victory pile.

My ruling is that because it says "other player" she does not get the bystanders, and this tactic has no effect. She says that in this case "other player" is referencing that you don't start with yourself, but you can come up again "going clockwise."

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
While I assume the intent was it could come full circle, I have to agree with your ruling. It could have been worded better if it intended the other outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Ryan in that I feel the intent was to have it come full circle, but the wording completely supports your ruling.

Just another example of Civil War's play-test issues of not catching this sort of stuff. They really need to widen the net they cast for playtesting and proofs of concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everyone that next other player means not you, but I disagree that any other interpretation was intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:

Just another example of Civil War's play-test issues of not catching this sort of stuff. They really need to widen the net they cast for playtesting and proofs of concept.

What play-test issues are you talking about?

Because what I see is that people are asking for rulings/clarifications on cards and not getting responses from Upper Deck. Upper Deck not answering doesn't mean that play-testing on those cards and card interactions wasn't done. As the designers of the game Upper Deck should be able to answer any ruling/clarification for the game whether they play-tested that interaction or not. Sadly they just don't seem as forthcoming with answers as they use to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AHewlett wrote:
Thud105 wrote:

Because what I see is that people are asking for rulings/clarifications on cards and not getting responses from Upper Deck. Upper Deck not answering doesn't mean that play-testing on those cards and card interactions wasn't done. As the designers of the game Upper Deck should be able to answer any ruling/clarification for the game whether they play-tested that interaction or not. Sadly they just don't seem as forthcoming with answers as they use to be.

I was simply building off of a conversation that had been going on in another thread. There have been so many over-looked confusion-causing issues with these past couple of expansions that, while there is no proof, it has all of the appearances that the play-testing is being done by designers and the creative team who know exactly what something is supposed to do rather than using people not involved in the creation who would've caught most (if not all) of these questions here and on Facebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
AHewlett wrote:
Thud105 wrote:

I was simply building off of a conversation that had been going on in another thread. There have been so many over-looked confusion-causing issues with these past couple of expansions that, while there is no proof, it has all of the appearances that the play-testing is being done by designers and the creative team who know exactly what something is supposed to do rather than using people not involved in the creation who would've caught most (if not all) of these questions here and on Facebook.

Especially when a lot of the questions are along the line of:

How does this card work under fairly normal circumstances?

Rather than:

How does this card interact with this other obscure card?
Or how does this card work in some very unlikely scenario?

The question in the OP is a pretty basic question for playing Misty Knight, especially for solo players who are left wondering if they should take Colleen Wing out of their own Victory Pile or not.

I wondered the same thing, but eventually just decided it would be more fun to play that it did apply to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how this works, but heck it's worth a shot:
Devin Low
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
I would say it was designed not to penalize the player who defeated Misty Knight. I would not think it would go full circle, and only effect players other than the one who drew the tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
Thud105 wrote:
AHewlett wrote:
Thud105 wrote:

Rather than:

The question in the OP is a pretty basic question for playing Misty Knight, especially for solo players who are left wondering if they should take Colleen Wing out of their own Victory Pile or not.

I wondered the same thing, but eventually just decided it would be more fun to play that it did apply to me.

Don't have the rules in front of me, but in solo play don't you have every effect that just affects another player affect you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
Thud105 wrote:
AHewlett wrote:
Thud105 wrote:

Rather than:

Don't have the rules in front of me, but in solo play don't you have every effect that just affects another player affect you?

Only if it says 'each other player'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they had wanted the active player to be eligible if it got all the way around, they would have said something like, "Fight: Starting to your right and continuing clockwise, the first player with Colleen Wing in their victory pile rescues 5 bystanders and returns Colleen Wing to play fortifying Misty Knight."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
jhochges wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
Thud105 wrote:
AHewlett wrote:
Thud105 wrote:

Rather than:

Yup, that's what a said. I guess I could have been clearer, thanks for confirming though. So that means if you were playing solo and Misty Knight said for each other player to play Colleen Wing, then you would do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
jhochges wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
Thud105 wrote:
AHewlett wrote:
Thud105 wrote:

Rather than:

Yup, that's what a said. I guess I could have been clearer, thanks for confirming though. So that means if you were playing solo and Misty Knight said for each other player to play Colleen Wing, then you would do it.

It doesn't use the 'each other player' wording though. It says, 'the next other player' or something like that IIRC. So the solo rule wouldn't apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.