Warhammer 40,000: Conquest» Forums » General

Subject: State of the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There doesn't seem to have been any recent reviews. Can anyone give their opinion on how the game has changed / improved / worn over the years with the addition of all the new cards? Have the factors that had many people complaining of "sameness" been resolved?

That sort of thing. I thank you for your time and expertise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Meyer
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I am waiting to see if this game is still alive. The rumors are that GW and FFG have had a falling out and all GQ licenses have been canceled at FFG. There have been no cards give to playtesters past the current cycle,The Forbidden Stars team was released from their contracts. GW is making their own board games and FFG have announced RuneWars: The Miniatures Game, a direct competitor to Warhammer Fantasy Battles, now known as Age of Sigmar.

If the game is going to continue then I'll look at how the Necrons have changed the meta but it is defiantly on a back burner for me at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the rumors of its demise were the perfect time to buy-in. As indicated by my microbadge, I love dead CCGs/LCGs. I'm coming in as a fan of Warhammer:Invasion though, so my knowledge of 40K is limited. Roughly the same factions and specializations that I've seen so far though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
Can anyone give their opinion on how the game has changed / improved / worn over the years with the addition of all the new cards? Have the factors that had many people complaining of "sameness" been resolved?

The game is drastically different from its release, particularly with the release of the Necron deluxe box and Planetfall cycle. The core set and warlord cycle had a very small number of decks/warlords that people could agree were generally "tier 1". Additionally, winning decks almost always basically ignored the battle aspects of the game in favor of winning the command phase (since doing that generally meant you would have a bunch of small threats that could handily deal with whatever your opponent threw out, regardless of what it was).

Although Tyranids have their die-hard fans (myself among them), the Tyranid deluxe did not shake up the meta to any great extent because the Tryanids are balanced into the ground. They are and continue to be one of the most difficult factions to play well, and their relatively limited card pool (no allies) is further limited by a bunch of cards whose downsides make them too situational to be useful in most decks. That said, Tyranids play completely differently from any other faction; once you go Synapse you can't go back.

The Necron box, however, completely shook up the meta thanks to a couple of cards that finally made playing elites a plausible strategy (that is, nasty creatures that cost 5+). What's really gratifying, though, is that the meta didn't shift: it diversified. The decks that were originally sweeping games are still strong, but now you can play with a smaller number of nastier creatures, all but completely ignore the command phase, or do stuff that's orthogonal to the normal faction strategies by playing Tyranids or Necrons.

If the rumors of Conquest's imminent demise are true, I'm going to be extremely depressed, because the game is in a really healthy state. Continual gimping of Tyranids aside, the devs have been doing really solid work and there are far more competitive (or just plain fun) decks that you can build and make work than there were initially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We were already beginning to discuss letting this slowly drop in our gaming sessions because of the LCG model. This possible news has sort of invigorated for us the idea of following through to completion and then continuing to play. We will have to work out some way to mix things up so the game doesn't get stagnant.

But while LCGs are a definite improvement over CCGs for us, even the LCG "contstant purchase" model was starting to wear thin. nothing wrong with that - folks love CCGs and folks of LCGs, just not for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
I love dead CCGs/LCGs.

Me too - particularly dead games which are still possible to buy, which gives me a window of opportunity to get people hooked

Quote:
I'm coming in as a fan of Warhammer:Invasion though, so my knowledge of 40K is limited.

Very different reasons to like both. I think W:I before Legends is a "perfect" game, as everything seems to have alright balance (or can be made so because there's only my card pool). Conquest is roughly the same now, at that perfect point where another big box could be disastrous if not thought through.

If FFG are ending it, now is the time to hoard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather OT, but did you mean Hidden Kingdoms? Legends was the third big box out of five IIRC. Cataclysm and HK both released after that. Legends was a rather large change to the rules though.

And yes, still accessible dead games are the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Skaak wrote:
The Necron box, however, completely shook up the meta thanks to a couple of cards that finally made playing elites a plausible strategy...

I stopped buying in after the Warlord Cycle, as I got bored of the Cato/Kith show. This is interesting to hear!

Obviously it's best to have everything, but if I want to turn my 3xCore + Warlord investment into a playable and diverse game without catching up completely, is the Necron deluxe enough? Or are there some specific packs that are also needed? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
instinctive wrote:
Obviously it's best to have everything, but if I want to turn my 3xCore + Warlord investment into a playable and diverse game without catching up completely, is the Necron deluxe enough? Or are there some specific packs that are also needed? Thanks!

This depends on what you want to do. Aside from the Necron faction itself, the Necron box gets you two key cards:

* STC Fragment
* Backlash

STC Fragment, in particular, goes a long way towards empowering elite decks because it means you can actually get elites out without needing to run a high-low curve with a ton of command and a medium number of elites. Backlash is basically a Klaivex counter, but is generally useful to ensure that you don't lose tempo at key moments despite having overall fewer units.

However, given the sad state of elites for most factions in core + warlord cycle, the Necron deluxe is not really enough to diversify all factions (since the vast majority of the box is devoted to Necron cards). STC Fragment gives a nice boost to your Chaos deck-building possibilities, but doesn't do much for Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau, AM, or Ork.

Some specific things that the Planetfall cycle brings to the table:

* Bonesinger Choir: this paired with STC Fragment can lead to some fun shenanigans for the Dark Eldar/Eldar/Tau section of the wheel.
* Broderick Worr (and supporting AM cards throughout the cycle): single-handedly took AM from the "favorite ally, with never a deck of its own" faction to "oh god, please let me play against some faction other than AM" at tournaments. If you like AM but have been unhappy with your winrate, you'll love Worr.
* Corrupted Teleportarium: mainstay behind Chaos "almost nothing but elites" decks
* Chaplain Mavros: yet another excellent SM warlord, but one who works a little better with elite decks (although Cato also works great with elites, obviously)

The downsides of the Planetfall cycle:

* The Chaos warlord (Ba'ar Zul) is very difficult to play, and broadly considered one of the worst warlords in the game (though many of the other Chaos cards in the cycle pair wonderfully with Zarathur or Ku'gath)
* Tau and Orks didn't get much love; both of them got a warlord that offers a non-standard faction alliance, but neither has sufficient cards to support them properly making them both difficult to play consistently
* If you don't own the Tyranid box, you'll be getting a bunch of Tyranid cards you can't use

In short: if the Necrons look really intriguing to you, and you want to empower Chaos elite decks, just the Necron box is a great investment. If you like AM, want to play Eldar vehicles, or are a fan of weird underdogs like Gorzod and Starblaze, then you're going to want Planetfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonja Reznikov
Canada
North York
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Skaak)

Since there is no official news of divorce between FFG & GW do you think if the game continues we will see more of Orks and Tau to bring them up to the par with others or even new faction ? new planet ?

Thxx
Sonja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkelfmage wrote:

Since there is no official news of divorce between FFG & GW do you think if the game continues we will see more of Orks and Tau to bring them up to the par with others or even new faction ? new planet ?

I sure hope Tau and Orks get more love; I don't believe either faction is getting a warlord in the ongoing Death World cycle, so if another cycle happens that would be the logical place to buff one or both of them. The devs have so far been pretty good about maintaining relative balance while building up underrepresented factions (the case study being AM), although they also have printed a lot of trash cards for factions like Tyranids, so who can really predict?

I personally doubt new planets would happen outside of possibly a deluxe expansion, because they complicate tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Meyer
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
All factions will get a Warlord in the Deathworld Cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonja Reznikov
Canada
North York
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx (Skaak) for the info.

Thx Mark. This is wonderful News. so there may be still hope for upcoming The Warp Unleashed & Against the Great Enemy.

now my only fear is that the above two war packs will not be published.

I certainly hope FFG would close the conquest (if they must) by giving the fans the above two war packs and one final Deluxe box.

With regards to Warhammer: Invasion LCG, FFG did announce in advance to their W.I fans that Warhammer: Invasion – Hidden Kingdoms Deluxe will be the last material and we managed to get a good Deluxe expansion as a closing chapter so i hope they do not leave things unfinished with Conquest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Meyer
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
FFG tests and prints an entire cycle at one time. All packs for a cycle go to their warehouse and are then distributed one pack each month. The last two Conquest packs both came out in August and I expect the next two to release with about three week intervals to complete the set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tekwych wrote:

I don't think that's right. It's been expected for some time that we won't get a Tyranid, Tau, Ork, or Dark Eldar warlord this cycle. The two known warlords remaining are Eldar and Chaos. I suppose it's not impossible that the last two packs would have 3 warlords each, but it would be extremely weird, especially since the first pack did not have a new warlord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
tekwych wrote:

I don't think that's right. It's been expected for some time that we won't get a Tyranid, Tau, Ork, or Dark Eldar warlord this cycle. The two known warlords remaining are Eldar and Chaos. I suppose it's not impossible that the last two packs would have 3 warlords each, but it would be extremely weird, especially since the first pack did not have a new warlord.

There's a high level of certainty in the community that the Death World cycle will not feature warlords from every faction.

This makes sense:

* with 9 factions, three packs would have to have double warlords, which leaves very little room for non-signature cards
* warlords like Subject Omega and Worr require a bunch of supporting cards to enable their decks (genestealers for Subject Omega, stuff that makes green planets easier to take for Worr); these types of warlords would be very hard to print and encourage anyone to play if most of the cycle was other warlords
* if rotation kicks in, cycles will move out in batches of two (and Death World is the first of such a two batch). This means that even if they stagger the warlords across two cycles, there will always be a roughly constant number of warlords available for play once rotation kicks in (assuming the game survives that long, of course)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Molleda Garcia
Spain
Carbajal de la Legua
Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkelfmage wrote:

With regards to Warhammer: Invasion LCG, FFG did announce in advance to their W.I fans that Warhammer: Invasion – Hidden Kingdoms Deluxe will be the last material and we managed to get a good Deluxe expansion as a closing chapter so i hope they do not leave things unfinished with Conquest.

Actually, they first announced that WHI was shifting to a deluxe only release schedule similar to CoC. Then when the first deluxe of this new method was announced they said that the game died.

It was not that sweet ):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.