$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37205032

There are millions in this country who feel that this is slight against all that was sacrificed in the past. This was a pre-determined action on his part, he said before the game that he would not acknowledge the Anthem in any way.
There are other ways to protest, now you're just being a dick.
The fact that he's slipped to 2nd string I guess it's now time to try and project yourself back into the spotlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Classless and immature.

If he feels that strongly, he should go make a living in some other country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are athletes out of all entertainers expected/required to demonstrate their patriotism every time they go to work?

We don't expect this from actors, comedians, musicians, mimes, jugglers or clowns.

But for some reason athletes and those in the audience are expected to demonstrate their fealty to the country prior to every sporting event. And if they don't they are held up for criticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Meh, who cares? People can protest in any way they seem fit. It's a free country, and he's free to do it. If you feel butt hurt about it, then it sounds like he hit his mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
But for some reason athletes and those in the audience are expected to demonstrate their fealty to the country prior to every sporting event. And if they don't they are held up for criticism.

Mostly just if they're black.

Gabby Douglas--who happens to be black--doesn't put her hand over her heart and it's a national scandal. White shot putters Ryan Crouser and Joe Kovacs don't and no one cares. White pole vaulter Sam Kendricks stops his approach to stand at attention for the anthem--without his hand over his heart--and he's a national hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Meh, who cares? People can protest in any way they seem fit. It's a free country, and he's free to do it. If you feel butt hurt about it, then it sounds like he hit his mark.

I'm not hurt by it. I just think it is classless and immature. If he feels strongly about an issue, he should do something about the issue (donate part of his salary to the victim's families, etc.). If all he is doing is "making a statement", I think it is selfish and doesn't do anything to help the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
it's his right as an American. i'm not saying i agree with it, but then again, i also think this is stupid non-news... the type of stuff people running for politcal offices bring up over and over to distract us while they screw us over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
I was thinking of posting this bit of comedy in RSP, but I'm not up enough on selfish, childish athletes.

Born to a destitute single mother. Given up for adoption. Signed a hundred million dollar contract before he's 30.

Horrible country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are millions one of people in the world. Why do you care what one man does or doesn't do? Even if you choose to get upset at actions that don't directly affect you in any way, surely there are hundreds of things that would bother you more than this?

I dunno, it seems like people go out of their way to get upset about things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mauigreen wrote:
it's his right as an American...

The fact that it is his right, as an American, to be able to dis his country without fear of (legal) repercussion, is exactly why he should want to leap up and honor it...

(I think he ought to be made to sit on that damn bench for a long time, especially during games! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
mauigreen wrote:
it's his right as an American...

The fact that it is his right, as an American, to be able to dis his country without fear of (legal) repercussion, is exactly why he should want to leap up and honor it...

(I think he ought to be made to sit on that damn bench for a long time, especially during games! )

i think he will be on the bench for a while. not because of this, but because his game play is horrible right now. i'm betting on Gabbert taking the opening snap week 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the rare occasion I'm in a setting where the Pledge of Allegiance is expected from a crowd or audience, I'm going right along with it until I don't say "under God". It's the land of the free including picking your battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The land of the free? Whoever told you that is your enemy"

Sorry, but this thread just made me think of Rage Against the Machine.

(Now, this is rich coming from a non-American, right?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When all the fans stand and stop drinking their beers, texting or yacking away I'll worry about Mr Kaepernick...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I'm Moshe I'll be your guide for your entrance into RSP-land. I'll do my best to familiarize you with the customs and taboos of the natives. Would you like to try some local cuisine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riboAWEsome wrote:
"The land of the free? Whoever told you that is your enemy"

Sorry, but this thread just made me think of Rage Against the Machine.

(Now, this is rich coming from a non-American, right?)

IT'S BEEN 25 YEARS! Man, do I feel old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

QFT. At least he's not blocking traffic or torching innocent businesses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Born to a destitute single mother. Given up for adoption. Signed a hundred million dollar contract before he's 30.

Horrible country.

Yeah, frankly I don't care whether he sits or stands or rolls on the ground waving his arms and legs in the air. But when he pulled down 20 million dollars last year for playing a ball game in America -- for a losing team -- his complaints about being oppressed sound pretty damned hollow.

But it speaks to my sense that people just aren't taught to be grateful anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
he pulled down 20 million dollars last year for playing a ball game in America -- for a losing team -- his complaints about being oppressed sound pretty damned hollow.

But it speaks to my sense that people just aren't taught to be grateful anymore.

"Until all of us are free, none of us are free."

Emma Lazarus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
he pulled down 20 million dollars last year for playing a ball game in America -- for a losing team -- his complaints about being oppressed sound pretty damned hollow.

"Until all of us are free, none of us are free."

Emma Lazarus

Yeah, and don't forget when Janis Joplin sang "Freedom's just another word for $20 million/year"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I've always felt sorry for the Dominicans, Australians, Germans, Swedes and aother ballplayers that have to stand for all the damned anthems at the beginning of US professional sports events. We just get the matches started here without all the patriotic nonsense. Are the Americans suggesting sports are a microcosim of warfare, and we salute the heroes before battle, or what? Also, the singing of God Bless America at baseball games is especially irritating. You used to have a great anthem for ball games, Take Me Out to the Ballgame, and some teams have preserved this, but who gives a damn if God is blessing anything during the seventh inning of a ballgame. Send out a silent prayer during the stretch please, and leave the rest of us alone with the God thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
Are the Americans suggesting sports are a microcosim of warfare, and we salute the heroes before battle, or what?

How is expressing patriotism the equivalent of warfare? This makes no sense.

Quote:
Also, the singing of God Bless America at baseball games is especially irritating. You used to have a great anthem for ball games, Take Me Out to the Ballgame, and some teams have preserved this, but who gives a damn if God is blessing anything during the seventh inning of a ballgame.

Who gives a damn about soccer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
kswingruber wrote:

Sure, just as long as he ignores the first 237 years of history in this country, right? I mean come on, the "freedoms" you enjoy weren't allotted to everybody now was it?

My forefathers fought in the world wars, and his forefathers fought in the world wars as well. But my forefathers got to come home and enjoy those freedoms, and his forefathers got to come home to Jim Crow, segregation, and lynchings.

So, if he doesn't want to celebrate the fake patriotism and hypocrisy of our "so called freedoms", and bring to light a little bit about how our country while we make it look like the greatest in the world, might be just a little fucked up...more to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Good for him 'standing up' for his beliefs. Wish North American sports would stop with the anthems and all the related 'patriotic' nonsense (celebrating the military on Saturdays at baseball games, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Yeah, frankly I don't care whether he sits or stands or rolls on the ground waving his arms and legs in the air. But when he pulled down 20 million dollars last year for playing a ball game in America -- for a losing team -- his complaints about being oppressed sound pretty damned hollow.
He's doing pretty okay, so I guess you're right... that's proof that all people of color are doing fine. And when he refuses to show honor to a country that he feels oppresses people of color, we can just point to the few hundred sports superstars and say that people of color are doing just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.