Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Mooney

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Hello,

I never played Pandemic before but the reviews and buzz regarding Pandemic Legacy just can not be ignored any longer. I do have a couple questions though:

1. Can I play the vanilla Pandemic game with this version?
2. Are the expansions compatible with Legacy as well?
3. Can I still play vanilla Pandemic after Legacy is completed? I keep reading about ripping up cards and placing stickers on the board.
4. How does it play solo?

I am hoping the answers are yes to all questions because Amazon has the game for $48. Good deal.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amerynth

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surferthanos wrote:
Hello,

1. Can I play the vanilla Pandemic game with this version?
2. Are the expansions compatible with Legacy as well?
3. Can I still play vanilla Pandemic after Legacy is completed? I keep reading about ripping up cards and placing stickers on the board.
4. How does it play solo?

I am hoping the answers are yes to all questions because Amazon has the game for $48. Good deal.

Thanks

1. Yes... you can play vanilla Pandemic (and the rule book recommends doing so to start if you've never played before.) There are a few minor differences (the board is slightly revised) and set up differs. It doesn't explicitly say this in the rule book, but use a funding level of 5 for the vanilla game.

2. The expansions aren't compatible with Legacy itself and...

3. You could probably play vanilla Pandemic on the board after you finish the campaign BUT you'll have to either ignore modifications you've made or remove some things. I personally think you'd be better off just picking up a regular Pandemic game if you want to do that.

4. Haven't played solo, so I'll leave that for someone else. We're nearly finished with the campaign now (two player) and have both really enjoyed it. I've only purchased three games during the past three years, and I'm very glad that this was one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play a game that closely resembles vanilla Pandemic though if you aim to be able to continue to do so after the campaign you need to avoid destroying certain cards, and to ignore the stickers on lots of cards. The game is not designed to allow any sort of play after the campaign is over.

On a component level, the expansions are compatible, but you wouldn't want to try including them into the Legacy campaign.

As with most pure co-op games with no secret information, you can play solo if you choose, but it can get a little overwhelming trying to keep track of everything - involving more people makes it less likely something will slip past you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that as a co-op it makes an easy but less enjoyable solo game. But there's an excellent app if you want to play solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stickers on cards and the board peel off easy. I plan on playing Pandemic with it after the season is over. It will just take up more space in my collection though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.