Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Baseball Board Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Gorman
msg tools
I need some advice on this. I am thinking of purchasing a new baseball board game. I have APBA that I purchased back in the 70's and it's the basic game which I'm fine with; not too complicated. I thinking about purchasing Replay Baseball or Strata. Which would you recommend? If I got Strata I would more than likely play the basic.

I also have a question about HMB that I just purchased. Tell me if I'm right about the decider die. If a player has characteristics with a bullet, and the decider die comes up no he loses these characteristics for that play? Now players with characteristics with no bullet mean that they are always in effect? Finally, I can't figure out the delta and sigma symbols that come up in some plays.....Please help me on this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a few baseball games but not the right ones to help with your first question -- someone will be along shortly to speak to that, I expect.

Your questions about HMB are likely to get faster and better help if you post them directly in the History Maker Baseball forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Bri517 wrote:
I need some advice on this. I am thinking of purchasing a new baseball board game. I have APBA that I purchased back in the 70's and it's the basic game which I'm fine with; not too complicated. I thinking about purchasing Replay Baseball or Strata. Which would you recommend? If I got Strata I would more than likely play the basic.
Strat is still solid after all these years, and IMHO has always been a better game than APBA. Replay seasons tend to be fewer in number & more expensive.
Bri517 wrote:
I also have a question about HMB that I just purchased. Tell me if I'm right about the decider die. If a player has characteristics with a bullet, and the decider die comes up no he loses these characteristics for that play? Now players with characteristics with no bullet mean that they are always in effect?
Correct on both assumptions.
Bri517 wrote:
Finally, I can't figure out the delta and sigma symbols that come up in some plays.....Please help me on this
Here is a quick explanation from Plaay.com
Plaay.com wrote:
“To help account for player batting performances that are outside the normal distribution of results and hence aren't captured entirely accurately by the standard HMB qualities, we've incorporated a couple of special ratings symbols, “delta” and “sigma.”

“Both ratings are activated by certain results from the game’s main and mini-charts, and are indicated by a delta ( Δ ) or sigma ( Σ )symbol after the reading. When they occur, you substitute a player's delta or sigma rating result for the printed result. Delta ratings are associated with singles, sigma ratings with doubles. A full-time starter can expect to have an opportunity to use a delta and/or sigma rating approximately ten times each per season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james collins
United States
rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned and played Statis Pro, APBA, Strat-o-Matic, classic Statis Pro and so on, they all have things I like and dislike. For the last 4 years I have been playing Replay Baseball and have been very satisfied with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really got into Strat-O-Matic football, but found APBA to be more satisfying for baseball. The Master game I got around 1970 wasn't rocket science, just a few more things to factor in. And I like the standard card game size for each player, with charts to provide all the action and rare plays.

Computer versions for many of the choices are available, and online competition.

In 1970, I had to wait for snail mail descriptions. Use the 'net. Take a chance on something that looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had another thought. Check for the availability of past players, teams, or seasons, either from the game company or auctions, if that's a selling point for you.

Pick your most overpowering pitcher, from his best year, and see what he does against Babe Ruth.

Or find a season where the Babe was a pitcher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang! Now I've got myself craving the last two seasons of the Royals being in the World Series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.