BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Feedback on player board design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Orion Mcclelland
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hi guys, so I'm developing the player boards for my board game project, Salt, and here's what I have so far.

There are two design issues that I'm aware of (and maybe more that I am not).

The first is what's the best way to deal with multiple text sizes? Rain Gang, is pretty short and fits in that space, but I have a group called the "Guild of Honorable Merchants," I find that two lines doesn't look very good at that large font size, so should I scale the font down? Should I scale it on all the cards, or just the ones that need it? Should I change the names to fit? I'm not sure what's the best option, as I do love the way it looks here, but it breaks down with other names

The second issue I'm having is that at the bottom, I have reputation, resource, and grit play spaces. Everything else on the board is iconographic, so I feel like these two, but I'm not really sure what to use for grit and reputation. Resources could probably be some boxes, or wooden barrels or the like, but I'm not sure how to signify grit. Anyone with some design experience have an idea how these problems can be approached? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming the player colours match the titles on the player boeards, to me it would not be a problem if you spread the longer titles over two lines. I think that after reading those titles and playing the game a couple of times players will just be looking at "who is green" rather than "who is the Guild of Honorable Merchants".

About grit: after seeing the pick axe symbol on the boards, I wonder if you mean the little stones or the perseverence. (I assume the latter...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Mcclelland
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Yes, perseverance. In this game, grit refers to the ability to move through difficult terrain, and to survive during the winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The art work looks amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cloud3x3 wrote:
Yes, perseverance. In this game, grit refers to the ability to move through difficult terrain, and to survive during the winter.

In that case: a backpack ?

Or a clenched fist ?

A running man ?

A Climbing man ?

For reputation: or thumbsup ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not at all convinced that you do need icons for grit etc.

If you were trying to keep all words off the boards so they were language independent I could understand, but as you already have quite a lot of words three more doesn't seem a problem. On the other hand introducing more icons makes it more difficult for new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the clenched fist for grit, as it also has a toughness or determination undertone.

Reputation could certainly be a star though you already have something like a star above. A heart is probably too boring/ done, but you could do a heart inside a head (indicating relationship of the mind). Maybe too much?

You could use some stripes, or a chevron like the ones that signify rank in the military. Three upward facing 'arrows' could signify your 'status' or level which is essentially reputation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Mcclelland
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
@Drew Thank you so much dude! Glad you like it.

@Kim, you could be right. I'm in the iteration phase, so I want to mock both and see what people respond to. Maybe at the end of this thread?

Yea, I think the star could work, especially since this is western themed, so there might be a way to play off of a sheriff badge. I can also tweak the star symbol over time as all of these icons, I just grabbed off the net real quick for mock up purposes.

The fist might work. I certainly gives the right area of feel that I'm going for. I'm afraid it might look out of place though since everything else is like a more abstract object. Not sure if that makes sense.

I like these ideas guys. Thank you so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Mcclelland
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
FYI, I'm still not sure what to do about the text, but I've landed somewhere around here for now.

I will probably have to play test this a bit more to see how well it works, but I like how clean this looks. Thanks for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Word of caution based on the sample pictures you've got here:

Be very conscious of black text on dark backgrounds and white text on light backgrounds. Such low contrast can make it very difficult to read.

This is *especially* true of any small text on items you wouldn't expect people to memorize, such as on cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cloud3x3 wrote:
The first is what's the best way to deal with multiple text sizes? Rain Gang, is pretty short and fits in that space, but I have a group called the "Guild of Honorable Merchants,"

I'd change it to "Merchants Guild" - short and punchy and easy to "sing out" during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.