Subject: City of Remnants Vs Cry Havoc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was recently sucked into the Cry Havoc hoopla and while watching and reading reviews, one fellow mentioned this game, City of Remnants - which I had never heard of before. I have since watched many of the videos for CoR. Both games seem to have some very similar concepts yet CoR never took off from what I could tell.

How do these two games compare?

I'm on the fence regarding both of them but from the reviews I have read the CoR seems like the deeper game. I've read some concerns of Cry Havoc player choices becoming quite limited depending on what you do with your small hand of cards. This may also apply to CoR but I have not come across a con mentioning this yet.

Both appear to have less than stellar game manuals.

I think the combat system used in Cry Havoc appears to be better than the random dice rolls used in CoR. It would be interesting if a similar mechanic could integrated into CoR Rev 2?

I also read that CoR might be getting a second printing to clean it up a bit from its first printing. When this happens... any ones guess at this point.

Of course this quick analysis by me is only based on watching reviews and reading the forums regarding pros and cons of both these games. I have played neither but am interested in getting one of them. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
City of Remnants is definitely more wide open, and you can do a ton of different stuff. It's also longer, I'd say. Cry Havoc, being a newer game, is the tighter design. I would choose based on length, as CoR can go over 2 hours easily. If you're up for something more "epic" CoR is a great pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Streuner
United States
Lompoc
California
flag msg tools
"Cambot! Gypsy! Tom Servo! Crooooow!"
badge
“Look at me! I’m dancin’! I’m dancin’!” (Claptrap)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiyoot wrote:
I think the combat system used in Cry Havoc appears to be better than the random dice rolls used in CoR.

It should be noted that the dice rolls in combat are quite secondary to the card-play involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.