Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mel Primus
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On your turn, you can spend 5 culture to gain 1 ascendancy.

What about the other way? If I need 2 to perform Hegemony, but only have 1, can I break 1 ascendancy back into 5 culture to pay for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no thats not possible, best is to keep some reserve if you fear running out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nope. It's a one-way street. Be careful about managing your resources when you choose to ascend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Primus
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I ruled it also, so good to know I was doing it correctly.

I do think that there needs to be more culture tokens in future printings of the game. We actually were one token short for about half a turn (used a culture node as a proxy), as everyone had 7 or so each.

The faction expansion are almost certainly going to come with more tokens, so likely won't happen again once I get one of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There isn't much reason to hold onto 7 culture. Anything you can do with culture can be done with 2, so you might as well trade in 5 for ascendancy. Only if you're planning on imminently colonizing/hegemonizing multiple planets is it worth it to have more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
There was an interesting thread on the General board theorizing if the game can be put in an unfinishable state by destroying culture and control nodes after all players have traded their culture for ascendency. http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1626321/it-possible-game-cou...

It's probably very unlikely to happen but I think it's worth noting, and I think being able to break ascendancy into 5 culture could potentially help.

I have also noticed that there just aren't enough culture tokens, in my games people preferred to hold onto them as well. We just used dice to keep track of them if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I were to introduce a house rule for converting ascendancy back into culture, I'd make it be a loss. 3 culture back seems about right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dont forget you need your ascendancy levels to build more starbases/use more fleets and increase your hegemony bonus/resistance.
otherwise you are limiting your options, certainly for the fleets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.