Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Mason
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at a different way of crossing over Cthulhu Wars and Gods War. Adam's thread is about factions keeping their original rules.

In Cthulhu Stomp Glorantha the idea is that the game is played in Glorantha by Gods War rules. The obvious thing you see is that Cthulhu Wars is built on a different baseline for the amount of power available each turn. There isn't a simple formula but if you slightly tweak the CW faction sheets it looks like you get factions that *might* be within the same ballpark as Gods War empires. For example, this is a draft of the Great Cthulhu invades sheet I've come up with.

Unique Ability
Immortal (Ongoing): Once Cthulhu has Awakened, he costs only 4 Power each additional time he is Awakened. Whenever you Awaken any Great Old One, gain 1 Rune.

Unique Weakness
Alien to Glorantha (ongoing). You do not gain the Glorantha Boost. During the Chaos Rift struggle your gates in sea locations reduce the total commitment by 1 for each gate.

Invader God
You can gain runes but cannot play runes. At the end of any player’s turn, you may consume one or more runes. For each rune consumed roll a battle die. For each “no” result gain 1 Victory Point; for each rout, gain 2 Victory Points; for each kill gain 3 Victory Points. Consumed runes are removed from the game.

Set Up
6 Power. Gate and 6 cultists in one sea area of your choice.
Buildings and Units
Gate. Building. Count 6. Cost 3. Combat: 0
Ability: Gain 1 Power in the Power phase.

Acolyte Cultist. Mortal Minion. Count 6. Cost 1. Combat 0
Ability: Gain 1 Power if at your gate during the Council Phase (i.e. after 1st Player is determined)

Deep One Mortal minion. Monster Count 4, Cost 1, Combat 1
Shoggoth. Mortal hero. Monster Count 2, Cost 2, Combat 2
Starspawn: Lesser god. Monster Count 2, Cost 3, Combat 3

Great Cthulhu. Greater God. Great Old One. Count 1. Cost 10. Combat 6
To awaken there must be a gate in your starting area.
Ability: Devour (pre-Battle) The enemy player eliminates one of his mortals or lesser gods in the area, his choice.

As we're playing Gods War rules then the faction earns Power and VPs based on fragments of the SPELLBOOK completed. In normal reading order the spellbook goes
1 2
3 4
5 6

1) In the first Council phase, receive this Spellbook. Also receive 1 Rune.
4) In any Council phase in which you have 5 faction Spellbooks, receive this Spellbook. Also receive 1 Rune.
2) Kill and/or Devour an enemy Unit in a battle*
5) Kill and/or Devour two enemy Units in a battle*
3) Control three Gates in Sea Areas OR four Buildings exist in Sea Areas
6) Awaken Cthulhu

Spellbooks themselves seem reasonably translatable with the odd tweak.

Devolve (Ongoing) At the end of any player's Action (even if it's not your turn), transform one or more of your Acolyte Cultists anywhere on the map into Deep Ones.

Absorb (Pre-Battle) If a Shoggoth is present, eliminate one or more of your Monsters or Cultists from the Area. For each Unit so removed, add 3 dice to the Shoggoth's Combat for that Battle.

Regeneration (Post-Battle) Apply up to 2 Battle results to the same Starspawn when taking losses. If both results are Kills, the Starspawn dies. On any other combination of Kill or Rout results, the Starspawn routs.

Dreams (Action: Cost 3) Choose an area with enemy minions. Your enemy must eliminate one and replace it with a minion from your Pool.

Y'ha Nthlei (Ongoing) During the Power Phase, if Cthulhu is in play, you gain 1 Power for each ocean Area that contains at least 1 enemy building.

Submerge (Action: Cost 1) If Cthulhu is in an ocean area, remove him from the map and place him on your Faction Card, along with any or all Friendly Units in the same Area. As a later Action, pay 1 Power to place Cthulhu, along with any accompanying Units, anywhere on the map, including land but not sideboard locations such as Hell or the Skydome.

On paper it seems to me that this is within the parameters of Gods War. The faction only has one kind of building (gates) so faces the same issues as Chaos.

Note: 1 Gate generates 3 Power (one type of building plus its own ability), 2 gates generate 4 Power, 3 gates generate 5 power and so on. They can be destroyed like any building.
Cultists are now just normal minions and are summoned like any other unit. They have no combat value but do have an ability. There is no capturing.
On turn 2, Cthulhu is likely to generate 4 Power from gates and 6 from cultists. That's more power than a Gods War faction but still only enough to summon Cthulhu. In relative terms this is about on a par with Storm.

There are two rules innovations. One is around runes and the other is that Cthulhu Wars factions tend to make the Chaos Rift harder to close. Crucially for me, every change in the rules fits on the faction sheet rather than having to alter anything in the rulebook.

Think I'll have to try this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Sounds like a cool idea! I expect there'll be a lot of Glorantha/Cthulhu Wars crossover rules as time goes on, it'll be fun to see which ones win out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Smith
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
Sounds like a cool idea! I expect there'll be a lot of Glorantha/Cthulhu Wars crossover rules as time goes on, it'll be fun to see which ones win out.

Rather than factions, what I'll probably look to do is use CW figures as unique Monsters or Elder Races (though Windwalker might work well as a Cold/Ice Empire faction). The Bhole or Dhole would work as a new Monster. There's a few that could work as an Undead 'Elder Race'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Mason
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jajagappa wrote:
C3Gaming wrote:

Rather than factions, what I'll probably look to do is use CW figures as unique Monsters or Elder Races (though Windwalker might work well as a Cold/Ice Empire faction). The Bhole or Dhole would work as a new Monster. There's a few that could work as an Undead 'Elder Race'.

I believe that's what Sandy's plans are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.