United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
IA!! IA!!
badge
FTAGHN!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking of going to gencon in 2017, and am starting to consider hotels. However, for cost reasons, I don't think a downtown hotel will work for me. Can anyone give any recommendations for good hotels outside the downtown area? I have heard that the southport and airport areas are popular, can anyone name any specific places?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We stayed at the Hampton Inn out near the airport.

Pros:
Free breakfast
Quiet
Conference room was available for night time gaming
Near the highway. It took us about 20 minutes to get to the convention center

Con:
Nothing in walking distance except another hotel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Depends on if you are driving or flying. If you are flying I would try to get a room downtown even if it cost you twice what one further out cost. You will come close to breaking even once you factor in a car rental and parking or uber.

If you still want to stay out a distance here are my recommendations

1. 71st and 465 on the west side isn't bad there are several business level hotels like hilton garden inn, marriot courtyard and other over there. You will be limited on food over there but it will be a quick drive downtown everyday.
2. Northside at 465 and Keystone. It will be a longer drive downtown every day but you will have nice hotels with full restaurants in them and plenty of dining options.

I would avoid staying at an airport hotel. Almost all of them are some what dumpy. Most of them are there from before the airport moved. Also there is nothing by them and it is generally not a great area.

I can't speak to the southside as I don't know it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
I would avoid using the block rates if you are not downtown. There are tons of rooms available for very cheap prices 15-20 minutes away. Just use expedia and see what is out there. There are hundreds. The airport hotels are usually more and in the block so don't book there. Just go with the cheapest one that is reasonably close and safe. That is what I did when I went on a whim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would agree not going in block if you are not staying downtown. That way you can cancel the room without it costing you $50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
I would agree not going in block if you are not staying downtown. That way you can cancel the room without it costing you $50.

This too is important. Downtown rooms you can transfer for free if you don't need it since there is plenty of demand for it. Other rooms outside of downtown no one cares about and you have an extremely hard time getting someone to take. You almost always end up eating the $50 cancellation fee for those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
Depends on if you are driving or flying. If you are flying I would try to get a room downtown even if it cost you twice what one further out cost. You will come close to breaking even once you factor in a car rental and parking or uber.

Disagree strongly. The past few years I've attended I've stayed South and gotten a hotel room for about $120 a night. Rental car is $20/day and parking was $24 a day across the street from the east entrance. That's $164/day for the entire con, and is a lot less than the $300+/day you pay downtown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
FrankNBeans13 wrote:

Disagree strongly. The past few years I've attended I've stayed South and gotten a hotel room for about $120 a night. Rental car is $20/day and parking was $24 a day across the street from the east entrance. That's $164/day for the entire con, and is a lot less than the $300+/day you pay downtown.

Rooms in the lottery start at $171. http://www.gencon.com/attend/hotelmap I paid $210 at Homewood suites out of block this past year for a room that slept 4. I already booked next year out of block at the embassy suites downtown for $139 for a room that sleeps 4. It is worth trying for downtown. It is a way better experience than driving in everyday. I used to live in indy so I know what it is like driving in as well. While I'll agree it isn't horrible to drive in if it was within 25% of the cost of staying further out I would pay to stay downtown every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben McClellan
United States
Brunswick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankNBeans13 wrote:

Rooms in the lottery start at $171. http://www.gencon.com/attend/hotelmap I paid $210 at Homewood suites out of block this past year for a room that slept 4. I already booked next year out of block at the embassy suites downtown for $139 for a room that sleeps 4. It is worth trying for downtown. It is a way better experience than driving in everyday. I used to live in indy so I know what it is like driving in as well. While I'll agree it isn't horrible to drive in if it was within 25% of the cost of staying further out I would pay to stay downtown every time.

Yeah, I agree with this. If financially feasible, staying downtown is a much better experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
tallgrant wrote:
FrankNBeans13 wrote:

It is also worth noting $120 is not a good price for rooms outside of downtown. GenCon and the people running the block would like you to think so, but you can get rooms between $80-$90 a night. Last time I stayed outside of downtown they were only $72 a night. If you are going to be inconvenienced you should make it worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
5 Years ago we got a 2 BR Suite at Park Place in Indy. 2 Miles from downtown, right on the bus route (Though the buses don't run on gaming con hours), free parking at the hotel. Depending on your fitness level, within walking distance.

Park Place is actually an apartment complex/student housing, so their rooms are actually appartments. We had full kitchen, living room, plus the bedrooms.

It was $99 a night, and we booked it within a month before the conference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G N
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
tallgrant wrote:
FrankNBeans13 wrote:

You might want to check your e-mail about that embassy suites hotel. I just got a notification that my reservation I made has been cancelled. I'm guessing they are going through and cleaning house since the released rooms they shouldn't have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
tallgrant wrote:
FrankNBeans13 wrote:

And what are the chances of 'winning' this lottery? It's only a small percentage of folks who do get in, then most of us are left to make alternative plans anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Miller
United States
Britton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stayed at a Holiday inn express in Fishers Indiana. It was 15_20 minute drive. Parked east of convention center across the street from Bankers Life fieldhouse several blocks away. Parking was no way near $24, it's half that or less. Booked my room a few weeks before. Breakfast included and I'd take bananas, fruit, yogurt, etc from breakfast to eat at GenCon. Link to parking garages and it gives you prices. Good luck.

http://www.downtownindy.org/get-around-downtown/park/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
tallgrant wrote:
FrankNBeans13 wrote:

And what are the chances of 'winning' this lottery? It's only a small percentage of folks who do get in, then most of us are left to make alternative plans anyways.

Increase your odds by buying 20 badges and eating the cancellation fees on the extras. It is still cheaper than being a VIG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
tallgrant wrote:
FrankNBeans13 wrote:

Increase your odds by buying 20 badges and eating the cancellation fees on the extras. It is still cheaper than being a VIG.

There is some truth in that. I used to buy all my badges for my family together. Now we all buy separately to increase our odds of getting a higher place when registering for events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.