Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Kendl
United States
Hartford
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book says to consult the table for the cost of the ships. But the table has an asterisk as the cost for Colony Ships.

Really wish this had the new FF style rules. Give me a book to get me up and running and the book of lawyer rules. GMT games are just difficult to pick up and play. You need to find someone else that owns it that can teach it, but then there's no reason for you to buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Andersson
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Look in the CO "Colony Ship" row of the table, not the "Colony" row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8 points, 1 Hull, 0 Maintenance.

HTH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeOP wrote:

Really wish this had the new FF style rules. Give me a book to get me up and running and the book of lawyer rules.

When you aren't using the Advanced Rules, this game has about 8 pages of rules in total! Do you really need this split into two rulebooks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kendl
United States
Hartford
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help. I knew it had to be something stupid on my part.

It's more the rules layout I don't like. It took me a long while just to set up my first game because they have information scattered. I'm used to other board games where they have a list of steps to get you playing. This one required flipping to multiple pages to cross reference information. The rules are very good once you know how to play and just want to look something up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeOP wrote:
It's more the rules layout I don't like. It took me a long while just to set up my first game because they have information scattered. I'm used to other board games where they have a list of steps to get you playing. This one required flipping to multiple pages to cross reference information. The rules are very good once you know how to play and just want to look something up.

That's typical of wargame rules. You're right that SE4X and some of their other games could probably ease the barrier to entry by packaging them more like a FF game (I think SE4X would rock Eclipse and Twilight Imperium fans if it were pimped out with a lot of plastic bling instead of cardboard counters), but GMT primarily publishes wargames so their games and rulebooks look like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.