The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: need advice from long time players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

We have a good group of players that enjoy fantasy games. Funnily enough we have only just come across LCG's and are enjoy GOT (2nd) however it posses a big issue for us....in that it is fairly competitive and the girls in the group get over that fairly quickly. Now that we have spotted LOTR everyone is keen to get into it as it Seems to allow us to play together rather than against each other.

Unfortunately we feel a little overwhelmed with the product on the market at the moment and we have the following points to consider.

1) typically play with 3-4 people
2) game is not easily accessible in our country I.e expensive to buy one box at a time (bulk order is key hence why we are trying to work out what to buy up front)
3) we get into games so need enough options to keep us gong for awhile and provide diversity
4) while money is not an issue there is simply too much product to buy it all straight away, not to mention we will get overwhelmed with cards!

So taking that into consideration we are really looking for some advice on what to order from FFG? What products should we buy so we have a good base for deck building (4ppl) alongside enough adventures that are challenging yet fun? We are happy to skip content that has proven boring or unnecessary however don't want to miss out on the best stuff.

I guess in essence if you were a new group to the game and you had the opportunity to make a bulk order what would you choose to buy from the current options and what would you leave out?

This is probably very subjective and hard to answer so in advance we thank anyone that is willing to provide some advice!

A few other questions

1) Saga versus deluxe versus cycles?
2) are all the cards kept seperatly or can you use any thing that you want (except scenarios obviously)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My own journey was 1 core box and found I liked it so next buy was second core (to get some duplicate/triplicates of some useful cards), and the first 6 Adventure Packs. This gave me the first 12 heroes, and then 6 more (1 per pack) and a total of 9 scenarios (warning on the 3rd one in the core set - do not play it solo unless you like frustrating losses).
It took me a year and several deck build ideas before I added the next cycle.
Many here suggest after the first AP or sometimes instead of to pick up Saga Boxes. I haven't yet still enjoying the other cycles. If you want to play the Book story line adventures then go the Saga Route after getting a Core set. The other series of adventures (not Saga) I think are based on the gap in time from Bilbo's "Party" (133 birthday) until Frodo Leaves the Shire. That was 17 years?
Just remember its you all against the deck and the deck has no mercy,
So it fun to trounce it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given your circumstances; here's what I might suggest:

You will need 1-3 cores. There are diminishing returns on the second box and even more on the third box so try and find them on the local after market (eBay, trades, etc...). Frankly you can get by with only one core as long as you are adding more cards from adventure packs (AP), expansions, or saga sets.

Each expansion has an accompaning six AP (the core has its own six AP as well). When you buy an expansion (or the core), you might as well buy all six of the respective AP to,save on shipping.

Saga sets are like paired expansions without AP. They follow specific parts of the LotR story. It would be most cost effective to buy them in pairs.

Frankly, if you purchased a core, it's six AP, an expansion and its six AP, and a saga pair; you'd have plenty enough content to play 4p to your hearts content. That's 22 separate quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Owen
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest a minimum of 2 core sets(max 3) as it's nice having everyone with a threat dial and enough gandalf's for more than one person.

While the saga adventures are fun(the story we all know and love), with only a core set and the saga makes them extremely difficult when you just start out. So make sure you try to get at least one other deluxe + cycle set before or with the sagas

Tales from the cards has a great resource on looking up what to buy:
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-playe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing with four players for 3 years or so now.
I'd suggest:

1 core set

Buy the first six adventure packs. Play them in the order of their release.

After that, if you're enjoying the game:

Pick up a second core set.

Pick up the first deluxe expansion and the corresponding six adventure packs for that cycle.

Thereafter, pick up each deluxe expansion and the corresponding adventure packs when you get to them (in the order of their release). Play them all in order.

You'll find with 3-4 players the difficulty ratings are wildly inaccurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Wow that was fast thanks guys! Just checking the following makes sense?

Option 1:

2x core sets

Shadows of Mirkwood (6 packs)

After we complete that....

Khazadum expansion + Dwarrowdelf (6 packs)

Option 2:

2x core sets

Play the sagas

Buy some cycle packs, which cycle paks have the best cards to help get through the sagas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
Gibs55 wrote:
Wow that was fast thanks guys! Just checking the following makes sense?

Option 1:

2x core sets

Shadows of Mirkwood (6 packs)

After we complete that....

Khazadum expansion + Dwarrowdelf (6 packs)

Option 2:

2x core sets

Play the sagas

Buy some cycle packs, which cycle paks have the best cards to help get through the sagas?

I'd go with Option 1 myself. The Saga's are pretty hard without a broad card pool, and people on this forum who have moved onto them without purchasing at least Shadows of Mirkwood have reported them to be frustrating.

If you do just one to buy a few packs to help with the Saga's then anything with Dwarves in it really - Return to Mirkwood and the Khazad Dum Deluxe should help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Ordered two core sets and the first six cycle packs!

Thanks for the help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Nierste
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
I know you've already made your purchase, but in my experience, I bought the core set and first cycle and decided after playing only partially through the quests that I loved the game enough to completely invest in it. After buying all the Sagas, Deluxes, and APs up until that point, I would play through them chronologically and only open up a pack after beating the previous quest. It was a great way to keep from getting overwhelmed with cards as I progressed; so if money is no object and you can find a good sale, you may want to consider this. Glad I did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would make sure to purchase the expansions that complete the "Songs..." cycle that allows for better multi-sphere decks.

I would also note that each cycle's encounter decks generally emphasize different mechanisms which would (for me, at least) require constant adjustment of the decks. The core set and Shadows of Mirkwood cycle are especially similar in terms of which types of decks work. With later expansions, it seems that certain "staple" cards (core set Eowyn, for instance), may not be nearly as effective in Heirs of Numenor / Against the Shadow.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
cr0835ab wrote:
I would make sure to purchase the expansions that complete the "Songs..." cycle that allows for better multi-sphere decks.

I would also note that each cycle's encounter decks generally emphasize different mechanisms which would (for me, at least) require constant adjustment of the decks. The core set and Shadows of Mirkwood cycle are especially similar in terms of which types of decks work. With later expansions, it seems that certain "staple" cards (core set Eowyn, for instance), may not be nearly as effective in Heirs of Numenor / Against the Shadow.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tip, not quite following what you mean by the songs cycle though? I.e I don't see a cycle called songs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have been clearer--there are cards such as "Song of Wisdom" that help with resource matching and aid in using multiple spheres in the same deck. They are a cycle in that they begin with "Song of ..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
cr0835ab wrote:
I should have been clearer--there are cards such as "Song of Wisdom" that help with resource matching and aid in using multiple spheres in the same deck. They are a cycle in that they begin with "Song of ..."

Ok still confused, looked through all the options on FFG and cannot see a single pack with Song in front of it? Do you just mean some packs come with song cards in them, but the packs are not called song?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Next question given everyone is so helpful here

Looking at getting some albums to store the player cards in. Looking at the ultra pro 9x20 album to store the cards by type (i.e. One album per colour Blue, red, green, pink and neutral). Has anyone used these will they fit a full set of sleeved play cards in them? Is there a better option.

In terms of the scenario cards I assume the best way is to get a large box and segment them in order of release as they cards decks always stay the same?

Then store all the rules for the scenarios in a clear fill folder?

Just wanted to check I am not missing a trick before buying this stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gibs55 wrote:

Ok still confused, looked through all the options on FFG and cannot see a single pack with Song in front of it? Do you just mean some packs come with song cards in them, but the packs are not called song?

Yes, he said "cards"

All the sphere-adding songs are in the first cycle. Until you have most of the available products, the songs are the easiest way to give the effect of having another sphere. Later expansions add resource-moving and generation in different ways, which is more valuable, but those cards are also scattered a bit around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gibs55 wrote:
In terms of the scenario cards I assume the best way is to get a large box and segment them in order of release as they cards decks always stay the same?

I can fit one deluxe and its cycle in a 550-card BCW box (fully sleeved with 105 micron FFG sleeves). 500 works, barely, but I only have one box in that size (an official event box).

Sagas go in a similar box, but you can use a 400-card box for them as there are only ~330 cards total. I don't have the luxury of choice, so it's all 550-card boxes and padding.

Albums can be nice, but I buy the 3-ring binders and loose pages for the LCGs where I use those. It's more expensive than boxes, but being able to move the pages around is helpful. Keeping things in the correct order (alphabetic, by type, by sphere) is more work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
So made a little update to my order ....ouchwhistle

Added in;

Heirs of Numenor + Shadow Cycle

Voices of Isengard + Ring Making Cycle

Bank account is not very happy with me however we should now have more than enough cards for 4 player deck building!

The big question is weather we should use all the player cards to start with or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you buy anything else, play through each quest you own.

As for deck building, I would say whenever you start a new cycle of quests, go ahead and use all cards that came from it. They're all developed at once, so there's no reason to artificially gate yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did something very similar but I play solo two handed. I bought 2 cores, Khazad-dum, first 2 cycles and 2 Saga. I went in hard as it was my 3rd LCG and knew what to expect.

I would upvote that I wouldnt open all the cards and play the Mirkwood cycle with access to everything as I feel they are a good difficult with the card pool they were created with. I found the Mirkwood cycle to be easy overall.

So for example I only opened the Mirkwood cycle and core cards and played all the scenarios for these packs. After this I opened all of Khazad-dum and Dwarrowdelf and am now playing through these quests.

I think this is the best as there may not be a lot of power creed but the new card combinations and strategies of new cards could make the beginning ones to easy or stale.

I would highly recommend the Dwarrowdelf cycle as they have some of my favorite player cards. Glorfindel and Elrond are so great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.