Subject: Any other game like citadels? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
I want to know if theres other game like citadels (I already own masquerade)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
I want to know if theres other game like citadels (I already own masquerade)

What about Citadels do you like? The drafting? The deduction of who took which role?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Libertalia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meuterer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian White
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission: Red Planet shares Citadel's main role selection mechanic, adding a healthy dose of light area control into a steampunk theme. And it's by the same author.

Alternatively, Alexander Pfister's Broom Service adds a little push-your-luck to the role selection mechanic, set to a pick up and deliver backdrop. And it won last year's KdJ, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch's Brew if you can find it. Citadels is pretty bad by comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

And also Verräter.

But yeah, it would help if you mentioned what specifically you like about Citadels.

One other thing to add about Mission: Red Planet, which is an awesome awesome game... but one key difference about the role selection is that each player has their own set of roles to choose from. The difference is just the order that you choose them in. Once you choose one, you can't choose that role again until you play the role that lets you redraw all of your used roles.
Also note that 1st ed is OOP, but they just came out with a 2nd ed recently, which has a different BGG entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Temple is by the same designer, uses the same role selection method as Citadels, but is an Indiana Jones type theme, and instead of constructing buildings, you're racing along a map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abdiel wrote:
Witch's Brew if you can find it. Citadels is pretty bad by comparison.

And if you can't find it (it's OOP at least in the US), the earlier-mentioned Broom Service is a re-implementation.

I wouldn't agree Citadels is bad by comparison, they're pretty different games and both have their strong points, but, Witch's Brew is indeed a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if you like blind bidding you might like Fist of Dragonstones. Same designer. It's got different roles with different powers, but instead of secretly selecting them, you do closed-fist blind bids for them.

It's long OOP but it's available used for reasonable prices, like on BGG Marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels (2016 edition) is quite like Citadels ;-)

Bruno (Citadels designer) agrees that many of the games mentioned had something in common with Citadels:

Quote:
This doesn’t mean I never thought about the Citadels system, but I found it more fun and challenging to repurpose the character-selection system, or parts of it, in entirely different games. The results were Mission: Red Planet, a majority game on the planet Mars I designed with Bruno Cathala, and Lost Temple, a light racing game which might be the family fare version of Citadels. I’ve also tried to create similar sensations using completely different systems, and the results were Fist of Dragonstones, designed with Michael Schacht, and Mascarade, which seems to become also a lasting hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the hidden roles the something like The Resistance or One Night Ultimate Werewolf might work.

If you like the building stuff aspect then a tableau builder such as San Juan (second edition) or Race for the Galaxy might work. (RftG caused me to play significantly fewer games of Citadels).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anothe rvote for Libertalia!

it's the most similar in the aspect of selecting a role ach turn to gain a benefit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
jsdougan wrote:

What about Citadels do you like? The drafting? The deduction of who took which role?

The deduction of who took which role

Theres a lot of suggestion already :O thank you all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
jsdougan wrote:

The deduction of who took which role

In that case, you might want to look at

Ad Astra
It's co-designed by Faidutti, the designer of Citadels.
Players have "actions" that they place facedown on a communal board on up to 15 slots (IIRC exact # depends on # of players). The actions are done in order, with everyone getting to do the action, but the owner of the action card getting a perk.
The trick is, to do well, you really have to anticipate what actions the other players are selecting for their action cards. So it's got a similar deduction element.

Race for the Galaxy also has a similar mechanism, where you do better if you anticipate what actions your opponent(s) is/are secretly selecting.

If you're really into deduction, there are a whole range of other games.
Mystery of the Abbey
where you are eliminating suspects and deducing the murderer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.