Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans van der Drift
Australia
Bulimba
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking at an old game of on google sheets and noticed several players starting 2 compaines (A&A and HRR for example), then A&A buys 1 train and the HRR buys 2. But in the opening round the A&A buys one of the trains at discount ($30 or $60 as an example)

I see several players doing this tactic, I am unsure if its 1817 centric or an 18xx tactic, can someone explain why players are doing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no train discounts in '17. Are these companies buying trains from each other? In which round? What type of train?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
There are no discounts, but there are reasons to have one company buy all the the trains and then other later companies to buy trains down. Among other details it allows excess capital to be more readily concentrated in one company for a key acquisition or to have ready for the 2+ trains in OR2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans van der Drift
Australia
Bulimba
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an example of the game I was looking at

The first 4 companies are buying and selling trains to each other.

It's all occurring in OR1a

[ALT buys AA's train for 60 and BSE buys EJE for 15)

Ill run some numbers to see what JC is describing.

JC, what is is the most efficient way to work out different scenarios (other than in your head) quickly. Is there an excel format you use to test different scenarios or outcomes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Henn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some situations:

* Pittsburgh can often run 3 trains and you want to do so as a 2 share (which it likely can't afford to do unassisted)
* You want to full pay with your 2 share in OR1b, so you don't want loan interest in there that would force you to half pay.
* Not OR1a, but in OR1b it's common to have the high par lead company from OR1a that only bought one train (say SNY NNY or Baltimore) to buy more 2+s than it can run and shuffle them to other companies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
hvddrift wrote:
[ALT buys AA's train for 60 and BSE buys EJE for 15)

There's no price limit for non-emergency train purchases between companies other than at least $1 and no more than is in the buyer's treasury.

Quote:
JC, what is is the most efficient way to work out different scenarios (other than in your head) quickly. Is there an excel format you use to test different scenarios or outcomes?

In your head is pretty good, though I also use a lot of paper and pencil. I tend to use spreadsheets only for longer scenarios or ones with many detailed moving pieces. The general problem in this case is that you're attempting to deduce intent, and that's really rough given player's high failure rates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.