5 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Copying/stealing the Reincarnator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SpaghettiToastBook
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't understand how this works. If you lose your original power, what happens to the incarnation you stole? Which power is considered your current incarnation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Whatever power you've received from the Reincarnator moves with the Reincarnator alien itself, just as the Miser's hoard moves with the Miser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SpaghettiToastBook
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, but wouldn't that also mean that if Plant grafted Reincarnator/Loser and lost an encounter, Plant would then be grafting (for example) Reincarnator/Pacifist? I'm unsure why Plant would lose its power (according to the text).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Searles
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plant steals the Reincarnator power until the end of the encounter. If the Plant/Reincarnator loses, it uses Reincarnator's power to get a new alien power. Then it loses Reincarnator's ability to reincarnate (when the power returns to the original player) so it's stuck with the power it reincarnated into. Reincarnator just gets their Reincarnator alien power back.

The Reincarnator power itself makes it clear that if it is stolen and the stealing player reincarnates, they lose their original power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaghettiToastBook wrote:
I'm unsure why Plant would lose its power (according to the text).

That part of the text is not trying to clarify what would naturally happen during a reincarnation. It's adding a new requirement (a risk) that you have to lose your original power. Not because that's what we would think naturally/intuitively happens (it isn't always), but because that's what the designer(s) wanted to occur in that circumstance.

The ambiguity lies in the fact that the sheet doesn't tell us whether Plant losing his own sheet is instead of or in addition to the Loser sheet being lost. Both options have theme issues. Either two aliens are reincarnating into one, or R's current incarnation is somehow surviving the reincarnation.

I guess we have to pretend that when Plant grafts, he physically combines with the other alien into a single alien. The DNA all merges and the two sheets are effectively one. In that case we would conclude that both alien sheets are indeed lost.

The problem of course is that this storyline justification breaks down with other effects that have a different theme. Wild Philanthropist is a good example. There is no physical or mystical merging here at all; the player is simply lending out his abilities, probably by sending emissaries or guest workers. Does this trigger self-reincarnation as well? Good question. Looking carefully at the texts, does being "loaned" an alien count as "copying" that alien? Another good question. Technically even Plant doesn't "copy" the alien, he steals it. There is no duplication because no two people are using it at the same time (as would be the case with Insect).

All of this is pretty sloppy and poorly coordinated, especially considering that both of these aliens were created decades ago. There was more than enough time to see this coming a mile away, and it should have been a no-brainer to use consistent terminology. I've never been a fan of either Reincarnator or Plant, and this interaction is just one of the reasons. They're both clunky (basically anti-Mel if you follow the M:tG psychographic/aesthetic profiles) and the modern Plant falls flat on its face with fully one-third of all other published aliens. You could easily find yourself playing Plant in a game where it literally does nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.