Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Indie monsters and iGOOs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Thus far I have only played with the base game map, all 7 factions and high priests.

Now I'm starting to incorporate iGOOs and Indie monster races to my games.

I seem to remember the recommended amount of iGOOs in a game is number of factions minus one (4 faction games = 3 random iGOOs).

What was the recommended number of Indie monsters? In my first test game I used the same formula as iGOOs (4 faction game = 3 random Indie monsters).

Was this a correct amount?

How about the Azathoth neutral spell books. Do I take them to all of the games as an extra option or just in games where Azzie is one of the iGOOs?

When I get a handle of the Indies, then it is time to use one of the other maps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ISTR the Independent monsters were recommended to be N+1.

The Azathoth spells are completely separate and can be used with or without Azathoth and/or the Independent monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The recommendations were:

Indy monsters: One per player, or just all you have.
Indy GOOs: One per player, less one. Unless Gobogeg in play, then all you have.

Personally, I find the maps much easier to deal with than the Indies, but your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Mallow
msg tools
42!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered a few neutral monsters and with KS2 I'll soon have a bunch of iGOOs a question I had was do the neutral spellbooks count as part of your 6 needed for a win or are they separate additional powers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three different spellbooks:

Faction spellbooks. The ones in the core game and faction expansions.
Neutral spellbooks in the Azathoth box. You take one of these in place of one of your faction spellbooks, and then it counts as a faction spellbook for purposes of winning.
Indy GOO spellbooks. These are only earnable by the indy GOO's owner, and are ignored for the "must have 6 spellbooks to win" rule.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the answers.

So, my next game will be:

4 random factions, 3 random iGOOs, 4 random indies and all neutral spellbooks.

I will probably change the earth map to another map too (will roll a die which one I will tackle first).

Lots of new stuff to learn!

And even more new stuff when OS2 arrives!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Unless your group is already very experienced with the game, it might be wiser to start adding new stuff step by step. For example, let the next game take place on an alternate map. The game after that could include neutral monsters, and for the third game, you could put indie GOOs on the table. After that, you can start bringing several of these elements into the same game.

The reason why I suggest to approach the extra stuff more slowly is the large amount of new interactions that these add-ons bring with them (especially the GOOs and the neutral spellbooks). Having to cope with so many new things at once could easily overwhelm less experienced players.

In our group, when we played the Yuggoth map for the first time, two players (each of them with four or five 'regular' CW matches under their respective belts at that time) complained that they felt somewhat lost. They thought there were too many additional things to consider (Slime Sea, Laboratory + Brain Cylinders, Pyramid + Watcher). If we had added neutral monsters and indie GOOs in the same game, it probably would have been disastrous ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Oh, I didn't mention it, but I'm playing solo a 4 faction game to try out the new rules.
I just want some experience on how everything works.

My solo games move slowly, so I have time to make sure I'm playing everything right.

The game flows quite smooth even when I'm soloing it. The only hard part really is to remember to use all the various abilities and spells for 4 factions...

This way, when it's time to break out extra stuff in a regular multi-player game, I'm at least somewhat familiar with all of the extra rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do the same thing, otherwise my first game gets frequently interrupted by having to look basic things up in the rulebook. Cthulhu Wars was particularly mind-breaking to solo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a lot of us solo games before group play. I don't always play the whole game, but do try to at least exercise the main bits (so battle, doom phase, gaining and using spellbooks for Cthulhu Wars).

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Well, solo test-playing to get familiar with the more complcated rules sounds like a really good idea!
Nevertheless, wouldn't it be easier for yourselves (and thus improve the training effect) if you didn't jump right into a game with all expansions at once? I think I'd still prefer the step-by-step approach - even though it probably takes more time to play three test sessions instead of one (really coomplicated) all-in match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. I've yet to use any indies in my home games.

Cheers, Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Well, okay, it might be better to try a new map without iGOOs or monsters. That way I can focus on the map rules.

Edit: I started a Yuggoth based game w/ Yellow sign, Sleeper, Cthulhu and Crawling chaos. No extra iGOOS/iMonsters.
I'm in unfamiliar territory now... couldn't be more excited. Can't wait to wake the Watcher 1st time.

Also, it's nice to see I'm not the only one to play this game solo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I have now soloed 4 faction Yuggoth map game and 4 faction Primeval map game. Next game is Dreamlands, which I have just started (few rounds in, the Shai-Hulud already ate one of Nyarlys Gates...)

I liked the Yuggoth map a lot. The rampaging Watcher is a fun addition to the game. He's like a kid, whom all the other kids in the yard refuse to play with. He then comes out and kicks all the sandcastles down just to spite the other kids.

The Primeval map was a different experience also. The frozen Gates kept the doom points down, so the game ended with rituals. Ithaqua was killed twice during the game, which was odd. Had to break 3 Gates to summon him 3 times...

The next game after the dreamlands I'm thinking of adding a 5th faction to the games. I'm running 4 factions quite smoothly already, so 5th one should not slow the game too much.

I'm sort of becoming addicted to playing the Solitaire Cthulhu Wars...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColHammer wrote:

I'm sort of becoming addicted to playing the Solitaire Cthulhu Wars...

The nice thing is that you simultaneously win and lose! The dice both love you and hate you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Norton
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to throw in a link to the Neutral Strategy thread I started whenever I see posts like this:

Neutral Strat Guide

If you are looking to give all the players a fast pros / cons of the neutrals in use, I think it is a good resource. It has helped new players in my games quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for that link. Very interesting read.

I finished my Dreamlands game. Suprisingly Nyarly won the game (out of all the factions, Nyarlys Crawling Chaos is the one I have most trouble playing with) despite the Shai-Hulud globbing up his Gates in the underworld. The tree-cats were a bit annoying, but the worm was frightening (my 4p map had 5 underworld areas, so no room to avoid the worm).

I started another Dreamlands game right after finishing the last. This time I added a fifth faction to the mix and Azathoths neutral spell books on top of that to see what they do to the game. With 5 player map, there is more breathing room in the underworld making the Shai-Hulud a bit less scary thing to face. Still 4 out of 5 factions start on the surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlyMcNasty wrote:
I like to throw in a link to the Neutral Strategy thread I started whenever I see posts like this:

Neutral Strat Guide

If you are looking to give all the players a fast pros / cons of the neutrals in use, I think it is a good resource. It has helped new players in my games quite a bit.

Nice read! Feel free to add this info to:

http://cthulhuwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cthulhu_Wars_Strategy_Wiki...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColHammer wrote:
Oh, I didn't mention it, but I'm playing solo a 4 faction game to try out the new rules.

You will find a multitude of new strategies playing the game this way. I find this game mode the absolute best for trying out new strategies without taking the risk of them failing during an official gaming session. My best advice is to try to keep your mind focused solely on the "active" faction. Live in the moment. Place your thoughts on how your enemies would interpret your next course of action. Then plan ahead based on that projected reaction. This type of mental training is used by world champion chess players. And it is HIGHLY effective. Keep it simple. And most important of all, have fun while learning the concepts of the game!

I often play all seven factions at once in a solo game mode. This allows me to focus on strategies that allow me to defend and manipulate my enemies before I use them in an official gaming session. You also have far more time to analyze potential strategies. Use this time to develop ways of mitigating your enemies potential. I also advise that you limit your usage of Neutral Monsters and Independent Great Old Ones until you are more familiar with all of their abilities. They do add new dimensions to the state of the game. But they also make keeping track of all the interactions more difficult.

AdamStarks wrote:
do the same thing, otherwise my first game gets frequently interrupted by having to look basic things up in the rulebook. Cthulhu Wars was particularly mind-breaking to solo...

My mind was broken long before I started playing this game solo... But I am positive that keeping track of all the interactions between factions has kept my mind sharp!

Cthulhu Wars! Game responsibly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Alas, I have room for only five factions in my table. And I had to cut up the thin faction sheets in three parts. The spell books go to the table with the map. The monster stats tables I keep in hand as cheat sheets. And finally the power tracks go to the whiteboard I have hanging on my shelf. The whiteboard is magnetic, so i use magnets to keep the power tracks, doom track and ritual track in place. I have glued magnets to all of the markers that I use to track power, doom, ritual and whatever else needs tracking. This way I have all the needed info in one place.

I still have the thick faction sheets intact, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I finished my sixth solo game.

It was 5 factions on Dreamlands map (I was lazy, so I kept the Dreamlands map on the table for 3 games.)

This last game was with full rules: 5 factions, High priests, Dreamlands map, Neutral spellbooks, 4 iGOOs and 5 iMonsters.

The game went really smooth and I'm getting to the point I remember all (well, most) faction rules without too much Consulting of the spellbooks or abilities sheets. The biggest problem I seem have is to remember to use the Thousand Forms every turn (poor Nyarly...).

I really enjoy using the iMonsters. They add interesting choises to the factions.

The iGOOs sometimes seem almost game breakingly good though. The Elephant man can really cripple the elder sign based abilities like Yellow Signs world tour.
My last game had Nyarly pairing up with the Filth-machine. He was throwing Filth on every enemy gate which was really annoying (and power consuming) to clean. He was like a monkey throwing poo on everybody!
Alas, Nyarlys dreams of conquest was shattered by that gate-eating Shai-Hulud.

But, apart from being a bit unbalancing, the iGOO rules mixed well with the base game rules. They gave me no extra trouble to include in games. (But they gave me extra head-ache when I thought about the faction strategies. They really are game changers!)

I made a small goof in the end of the game. The Black Goat came up as the winner of the game, but when I was reflecting on the game I realised that in the second last turn Cthulhu had killed Shubby, so the Elder signs from last ritual and cultist sacrifice were actually illegal. When I reduced Shubbys score, The Sleeper came out on top!

From now on, I will play all of my solo games with every add on. It's a bit chaotic, but great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.