Subject: Wait for JM or start now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

So I'd like to delve back into MYTH with my group, after its been sitting on the shelf for quite some time. I've got everything from KS1, and all the 2.0 stuff we were sent already. My only dilemma is whether I wait another month or two for the JM stuff to arrive (mostly for the new classes), or just dive in with what I have right now.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just dive in.
Put it on the table, choose heroes. Put a 4x6 tile down followed by a 6x6 and play some quests.
I'm not quite sur about this but I think when the next wave arrives it's gonna be journeyman content and not suitable for brown equipped novice heroes anyway.
One of the questlines let's you fight a boss (though you can feel free at the end of a session to fight a boss without a quest)... with that title under your belly start with the rise of the revenants module (or fireborn - though I would not want to be spoilered since that getting updated with wave 3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
tbh i'm waiting until they start making modules out of the base game missions.

Or atleast a way to play with modules. Because now, every time I play, I feel like I'm cheating because I have to decide most of the setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that putiing off games to wait for more just goes on and on.
When journeyman arrives you can wait for master... or may be not that long if you wait for the Dark-Frontiers crossovers...
Life is too short... start having fun right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst I agree with the "why wait" ideal, I put this out with a group of super keen players, and the lack of structure offered in freeform just didn't sell well with them - a seperate group we tried a story quest from the KS book, and it was a slog-fest and no fun.

I think it's going to take the extra structure offered by JM until I dare bring this game out again - I'm two strikes down, and don't want to fatigue my group with the game that they don't quite get yet (and, in all honestly, nor do I fully - the mechanisms are fun, but the whole "just pick whatever you want to face and fight it" approach falls quite flat with me)

If you have other choices, I honestly WOULD wait for JM before jumping in; it sounds like it will add many of the elements missing from the first release, which for many (myself included) was more of an adventuring framework or kit, less of a complete game with exciting, unexpected challenges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, the main reason I'm thinking of waiting is because I want the two new classes those will offer to be in the pool. I feel if we start now, we'll feel like we're "stuck" with the classes we choose out of the ones I have.

I don't mind going freeform, it's how I played MYTH before and I'm fine with it. I would usually set-up a scenario a head of time, preselecting a quest or two and the general tile lay out. I like that method, even though it requires a bit of gaming prior to the game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's just because of the new classes then you could just say that as soon as you get them you allow players to switch classes. Just apply all the upgrades to the new class. Means transfer the titles. Allow them to manipulate the deck etc.
Just the appropriate items could be a bit problematic... but you could find solutions for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
Honestly, the main reason I'm thinking of waiting is because I want the two new classes those will offer to be in the pool. I feel if we start now, we'll feel like we're "stuck" with the classes we choose out of the ones I have.

I don't mind going freeform, it's how I played MYTH before and I'm fine with it. I would usually set-up a scenario a head of time, preselecting a quest or two and the general tile lay out. I like that method, even though it requires a bit of gaming prior to the game night.

In my group we don't want to be stuck with any character for dozens of hours. We play a pool of character. One can be here for a session and not be played for the next. During 1.0 we chose to share all titles (but not deck upgrades if i remember correctly) to improve the lvl of the new character entering, but a lot of solutions are possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lots of great advice above...

I'd recommend getting back into it now so you're "ready to play" when JM wave2 hits. The learning curve (or relearning curve) is steep and I'd like to be a peak efficiency of play when I pry open those new pizza boxes of JM goodness.

This is what I am doing myself - bringing back Myth to the table and reacquainting myself after a much needed hiatus. It will take some time to get back into the swing of things, but I want to do this so the JM experience is smooth and nothing like what v1 was like. I think I'll get much more satisfaction from this reinvestment in time. Heck, I may have to watch my own videos to bone up on the rules!!! whistle

I'd think this approach would be especially true for anyone wanting to teach their group how to play. I've seen more stories of people ruining the group's "first impression" due to Myth's fiddliness and at times obtuse rules/terms. I'd highly recommend getting the mechanics down cold yourself before trying to get the group back into it. That's how I'd do it anyhow.

As for building up your characters ...... this might sound like Blasphemy so prepare yourselves. laugh

There's nothing making you level up heroes to JM so you can play the new content. I have no problem starting a fresh hero with the requisite JM cards and popping open Shores of Kanis when it arrives. As a matter of fact, that's likely what's going to happen at my place. There's absolutely NO chance Myth sees the table enough to fully upgrade a party to JM - regardless of when it arrives at my doorstep (much better content to spend my time with at the moment).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Banemus wrote:
tbh i'm waiting until they start making modules out of the base game missions.

Or atleast a way to play with modules. Because now, every time I play, I feel like I'm cheating because I have to decide most of the setup.

In case you missed that, Kenny stated these would be part of the Megacon Q416 Patch. Unfortunately their timing on patch release is as close to the end of the quarter as possible, so a Q4 patch means Dec 31. Depending on JM fulfillment, we might have wave2 before the Q4 patch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
NSW
flag msg tools
If you haven't played before, Itai, I'd suggest giving it a whirl solo until you've got a good grip of the rules and some of the nuances of the game. I think you should have someone who knows the game well before you break it out with a group.

If you already know the game well, then ignore the above advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I've played it quite a bit, even during 1.0. I've got a pretty good handle on the rules, my debate is content-based only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
Oh, I've played it quite a bit, even during 1.0. I've got a pretty good handle on the rules, my debate is content-based only.

I am waiting for the two new heroes. Wish we got all the new ones at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've spent the last few weeks trying to understand this game well enough to teach it and it's been a trial. There's an incredible game in there but the work required to figure it out without much help from the documentation is formidable.

What is lacking is a really good instruction manual, written for new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I've spent the last few weeks trying to understand this game well enough to teach it and it's been a trial. There's an incredible game in there but the work required to figure it out without much help from the documentation is formidable.

Have you watched the urban myth videos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

Yes, they're great but there aren't enough of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
whiskemuscles wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

What rules are you having trouble with? Make a post with all your rule questions. The community will answer them for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
whiskemuscles wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

Feel free to suggest additional content and I'll consider it. Those videos are pretty taxing to create, so I want to make sure the "juice is worth the squeeze" here.

Glad they were helpful, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bors Goertz
msg tools

As for building up your characters ...... this might sound like Blasphemy so prepare yourselves. laugh

There's nothing making you level up heroes to JM so you can play the new content. I have no problem starting a fresh hero with the requisite JM cards and popping open Shores of Kanis when it arrives. As a matter of fact, that's likely what's going to happen at my place. There's absolutely NO chance Myth sees the table enough to fully upgrade a party to JM - regardless of when it arrives at my doorstep (much better content to spend my time with at the moment).[/q]

Exactly what I was planning on doing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bors77 wrote:

There's nothing making you level up heroes to JM so you can play the new content. I have no problem starting a fresh hero with the requisite JM cards and popping open Shores of Kanis when it arrives. As a matter of fact, that's likely what's going to happen at my place. There's absolutely NO chance Myth sees the table enough to fully upgrade a party to JM - regardless of when it arrives at my doorstep (much better content to spend my time with at the moment).

What ever gets it played is best Hope you have fun and let us know how it works out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.