Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diederik
Belgium
Brasschaat
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering how certain factions actually balance with more or less players. There are some abilities that are very much affected by the player count. For examle, in games with a high player count, the Mad God Marker is going to increase more rapidely and the Sea faction has more sea areas to possibly control. The Earth faction on the other hand, has 5 Queens for him/herself in a 3 player game, while only 2 in a 6 player game and even 0 in an 8 player game. The Moon faction has a bigger chance to get his/her Cycle screwed with more players. So intuitively it appears that with more players, Chaos and Sea get stronger but Earth and Moon get weaker. I was wondering what the actual balance idea behind this is, 'cause I'm clearly missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the Mad God marker is somewhat self-limiting, as it drops in the council phase. Chaos is also going to have a harder time keeping the rift open with more people opposing.

It isn't clear that Earth *wants* to keep Queens for herself. Marrying them off not only earns power, but is a useful bargaining chip for alliances.

I think large player counts does change the gameplay, but not sure it makes anything unbalanced.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diederik
Belgium
Brasschaat
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
Well, the Mad God marker is somewhat self-limiting, as it drops in the council phase. Chaos is also going to have a harder time keeping the rift open with more people opposing.

It isn't clear that Earth *wants* to keep Queens for herself. Marrying them off not only earns power, but is a useful bargaining chip for alliances.

I think large player counts does change the gameplay, but not sure it makes anything unbalanced.

Cheers,
Graham

To be clear, I'm not stating that anything is unbalanced. I was just wondering what I'm missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not sure in regards to Moon (don't know enough of the faction details), although I'd think in Sea's case, the presence of more players to steal their sea areas negates any advantage they have.

Earth is a bit stronger if anything. With more players, you have the option of marrying off more queens, as opposed to 4-5 players, where you can only marry off 3/4 (if you want). You don't have to marry them off, so you're left with however many queens to use as you desire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth has to marry them off, it's not optional. Also, it puts Earth in the vulnerable position of only having 7 units: 4 minions, a hero, and 2 greater gods. And if the titans die, that puts her down to 5 units for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diederik
Belgium
Brasschaat
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
Earth has to marry them off, it's not optional. Also, it puts Earth in the vulnerable position of only having 7 units: 4 minions, a hero, and 2 greater gods. And if the titans die, that puts her down to 5 units for the rest of the game.

I read that Earth only marries those off of the factions that are in the game and that the others could be summoned for personal use. That's why I thought Earth had 5 for him/herself in a 3 player game and only 1 in a 7 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diederik wrote:
AdamStarks wrote:

I read that Earth only marries those off of the factions that are in the game and that the others could be summoned for personal use. That's why I thought Earth had 5 for him/herself in a 3 player game and only 1 in a 7 player game.

You are correct. Adam seems to be replying to Peter, whose comment could be read as suggesting Earth could choose not to marry off Queens "belonging" to another faction.

In an 8 player game, that gives Earth potentially a lot of power, but not much flexibility.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to handle the marriages is to pay attention to what the other players are doing. Marry off a couple of them for guaranteed power. Use the others to benefit your own war machine! Just remember, it's not wise to give a strong faction another unit plus the potential for an additional +1 power.

I prefer this balanced approach as it maximizes my ability to cause wanton mayhem and destruction! Not to mention it gives me a great deal of control over the potential power I can generate over the course of a game.

Earth remains my favorite faction in the game.

Do you have what it takes to be a "God"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diederik
Belgium
Brasschaat
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But do you HAVE to marry off those from the colors that are currently in the game? So if Darkness is playing, do you HAVE to marry off the black Earth Queen? Or can you always choose to recruit her yourself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
If you summon a Queen of the same color as an empire present in the game she is automaticly married, its not a choice. Just like you or another Empire with a Queen in his pool, have to place an Earth Queen in any earth area when they build a temple or Ziggurat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diederik
Belgium
Brasschaat
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, that's what I thought. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:

Where can we find the expansions factions or are you a play tester and in the know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The files section here has old, semi-outdated sheets & gifts for the expansion factions, plus I playtested the game a few times at Sandy's back in April.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
The files section here has old, semi-outdated sheets & gifts for the expansion factions, plus I playtested the game a few times at Sandy's back in April.

Great, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S

Fredericksberg
Virginia
msg tools
This might have answered in another thread. In an 8 player game would Darkness have to kill a unit or destroy a building from all 7 other factions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they would. However, upon completing that Hero Quest, they would then get 7 power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Player Count issues:

Darkness - the extra power received from her Heroquests in theory makes up for it being harder to achieve. Even more to the point, she gets to "hold captive" units for longer which is undeniably a useful trick. If she's captured something good, it's not unknown for other players to actively cooperate with her so she can just finish the damn quest already and they can get their unit or building back.

Earth - in theory Earth could have 7 married queens, earning her 7 Power a turn. This may seem unstoppable, except for the fact that each queen costs 2 Power (admittedly usually she double-dips by also getting a Temple with this Power). This means that a queen doesn't turn a profit for three turns. In a game that lasts 5 turns, that's hardly a deal-breaker. It does often mean that she is the Judge of the Compromise in the late stages of a 7-8 player game, and the other players need to be aware of this. Of course the other players are also getting 1 Power a turn, and this adds up.

Also as has been pointed out, if all her queens are married, she only has 7 units in play, two of which can't be resummoned if killed. I mean, seriously she isn't going to guard a shrine with a lone titan - that's just asking for trouble. This means she can guard 5 buildings. (Four with axe maidens, and 1 with her behemoth, if she's willing to risk it being alone). She can use Earthquake to kinda-sorta protect important buildings, but other players can often have a much bigger board presence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diederik
Belgium
Brasschaat
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the information, Sandy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.