Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Simple "Roleplay" Variant, up to 8 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The multiplayer variant in the base game don't pleases me much, it seems quite artificial.
I have the impression, they had to add a multiplayer possibility to the game and felt obliged to add some rules for that.

What I propose is the following:
Each player takes in charge the destiny of a leader, so Alice plays the Emperor, Bob plays Dark Vader, Charles plays Leia etc.

They discuss affectation to the mission, but each player is ultimately responsible of the actions of its leader, they are not obliged to play in any order.

When another leader is acquired by the team, it is affected to one of the player (in alphabetic order for instance or whatever else the team decides)

If a player leader is captures, darkened, carbonited, returnofthejedied... He normally has the other one to play.

Maybe an evolution would be to provide each player with an action card corresponding to its leader.

That's all, it's simple, it will be longer due to discussions but it seems quite rpgesque.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
So what would you do with the other 4-5 leaders per side that get added in subsequent turns?

Personally, this sounds incredibly unsatisfying for most of the people involved. You are playing Mon Mothma. For your turn, you (once again) use diplomacy unopposed and then wait ten minutes for everyone else to do their thing?

If you actually try this out, please let us know if most of the players were actually entertained or if they felt the game had been divided into too many pieces to be fun.

Since I think the two player game is preferable to the four player game, I can't imagine it being enjoyable with eight. At that point, I would rather just break out the RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
I mean, I guess it's better than nothing.

I think in the long run, it's best just to count your losses and accept that this is a two player game. Nothing wrong with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:

I think in the long run, it's best just to count your losses and accept that this is a two player game. Nothing wrong with that.

excellent 2 player game at that.
I am trying to think of a good way to make this a 3 player game, i think more that that its WAY too much.

I want to feel like I am in charge of something in the game, don't take any of responsibility of my success away please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
jooice wrote:
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:

excellent 2 player game at that.
I am trying to think of a good way to make this a 3 player game, i think more that that its WAY too much.

Well, some people think we might see the Scum faction join the fray eventually. It would be interesting to see how they'd balance that, but I'd be all ears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
mb
Personally, after playing the 4p rule once, I like the small twist it brings to the game while staying away from over-complication.

You "variant" since to be just the same as the official team rule without the strict structure of who's responsible for what. If you take a look at the Play-by-forum thread, you will find many example of teammates talking back and forth, sometime in semi-roleplaying way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.