6,268 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to know the opinion of the experienced crowd with some games under their belt.

After long wait, my game finally arrived, so tonight we shall play. Gone through the rules I, I have a couple of house rules (hailing from the 1st edition, actually), that I'm itching to implement instantly, but want to know the opinion of those experienced with the game:

1. You can push barricades from space to space as a regular push action, as if the barricade was willing to be pushed. You cannot push barricades through doors or other impassable stuff.

2. Game doesn't ends because of 1 investigator's elimination.

So, would you kindly tell me (if possible - with some details), will those house rules affect game in any bad way and shift the balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm not the most experienced but if you want my opinion.

1. Sounds fine on paper, could have a test run on the 1st scenario and see how that works out for you.

2. I guess that should be fine if eliminated players don't mind sitting out on it, I would ask them before hand. I wouldn't introduce any resurrection rules akin to 1st edition as that would ruin the balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Harris
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you enjoy your gaming session tonight, am sure you will all have fun. For your first question, I am unsure if that would prove to be really useful, but you could allow it, it's not something that is managed by the app. I just think folk will be wanting to spend their actions on other things...For your second adjustment I can understand the desire to finish the story: I guess it's whether your group will be up for attempting the same scenario again or not, and how often you get a chance to play. We've stuck with the rules and it looks like we need a third run at innsmouth...heh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I don't think this will ruin the balance. I also don't think very many people will do it though.

2) This house rule I think has a much better chance of ruining the balance. By doing this it could allow investigators to sacrifice themselves without fear of the game ending and therefore make the scenarios easier. Also since the app has no way of knowing that an investigator has been eliminated it may keep throwing mythos events at specific investigators that are out of the game which means the ones still in the game won't have those negative effects to deal with when that happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Continuing after an investigtor is defeated would definitely make the game significantly easier. I think that an experienced player would rarely lose with this rule in place playing with 3 investigators or more.

With the barricades: as others have said, I can't see it ever being very useful to do. All scenarios have some sort of time pressure and generally speaking you would not want to spend so many actions just trying to block a monster. If you're happy to abandon that area of the map you're better usually to double move away from it or just kill it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yes. App doesn't know the player is dead and will throw stuff at him. That's a very strong point against the second one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barricade Objects are typically placed next to the most likely candidate door to be barricaded. Effectively you could think of them as doors that have reinforcement you can put into place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
1) I don't think this will ruin the balance. I also don't think very many people will do it though.

2) This house rule I think has a much better chance of ruining the balance. By doing this it could allow investigators to sacrifice themselves without fear of the game ending and therefore make the scenarios easier. Also since the app has no way of knowing that an investigator has been eliminated it may keep throwing mythos events at specific investigators that are out of the game which means the ones still in the game won't have those negative effects to deal with when that happens.

Definitely agree with your second point here. Making sure that everyone lives is pretty central to it being a cooperative game. This means that everyone is more likely to share/trade healing items and weapons, knowing that each investigator needs to survive to the end.

This also adds a HUGE dynamic to some of the Insanity cards where you are given a different win condition. It puts a big wrench in the investigation when you're also trying to prevent someone from killing themselves in order to fail the mission. It really enhances the tension of the game and removing that threat would make the game a little too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.