Subject: Nerfing Nightmare... help me with scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to try Nightmare mode (playing 4 monks), but going from 1 to 4 Wu-Fengs seems quite a jump. Has anybody tried just 2 or 3? If so, how should those be scored?

Related question: Since the rule book only discusses the extra points you get for the first, second and third Incarnations in Nightmare/Hell modes, I'm assuming that means the first, second and third one after you defeat the first Wu-Feng -- since you're supposed to have 4 Wu-Fengs total, not 3 -- correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure about your rule's question when it comes to scoring. I've always just counted the first three since defeating the last one gives me the points for beating the game.

As far as an intermediate level, I've played with 2 Wu-Fengs and put the Ghosts between them at 20. It was surprisingly difficult and a perfect intermediate as it focused a lot on consistency. As for scoring, I don't think we scored that round because we don't score when we lose. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Confusing as the scoring is the manual it should be taken literally.

In nightmare/hell mode only:
+2 for first incarnation defeated
+4 for second incarnation defeated
+6 for third incarnation defeated (3-4 players only)

Then for a victory:
+10 for victory in initaition/normal/nightmare only
+20 for victory in Hell mode only

Plus/minus the other scoring for haunted tiles etc.

So for defeating the 3 of the 4 incarnations for a nightmare 4 player game with 1 dead taoist with no haunted tiles and 5 remaining Qi and zero ghosts left in the deck you would score:
(2+4+6) -3 +5 -0 = 14

But if you won with the same setup (with one ghost left) it would be:
(2+4+6) -3 +5 +1 +10 = 25

While if this was normal mode win with only one incarnation

-3 +5 +1 +10 = 13

Compare this to a normal mode win with 10 cards left (ie. the earliest Wu Feng can appear and then defeated on the same turn)

-3 +5 +10 +10 = 22

Why this is confusing, defeating the 3rd incarnation in a 1-2 player nightmare game is actually the victory score.

The purpose is to actually credit your progress through the incarnations despite losing so you can compare a nightmare loss vs a normal victory as exampled above.

In terms of a victory against nightmare - it isn't impossible but is does require some luck and lots of experience balancing the risk of the die.

Don't get confused by this further in White Moon - you don't get any extra points for defeating incarnations of Wu Feng brought in by the Wu family!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
I am not sure about your rule's question when it comes to scoring. I've always just counted the first three since defeating the last one gives me the points for beating the game.

Right, I see -- that last Wu-Feng is the 10 points for victory. I think I will try 2 Wu Fengs, but just keep them 10 cards apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.