6 Posts

Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: robber behavior query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tharfa Gar
New Zealand
flag msg tools
hi all - long-time visitor, first post - haven't seen this one answered anywhere on BGG, so here goes:

the 5th Ed. instructions/almanac say that if a 7 is rolled or a Knight is played, the robber must be moved to the number token of "any other terrain hex (or to the desert hex)" and that you then steal a resource card from a player with a settlement adjacent to that hex.

but what if you move the robber to a terrain hex with no settlements adjacent? what if you use a Knight, move the robber back to the desert, and there's no settlements nearby? do you (a) choose at random from whom to steal, or (b) not steal at all?

the rules clearly state that you MUST move the robber. they do not however clearly state that you MUST steal. I can appreciate that moving the robber back to the desert frees up a resource-producing hex, but couldn't you just as easily move him/her to an unoccupied corner of the board?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I've always played that scenario is that you simply don't steal anything. It's come up in situations where you don't want to shut down your own production, or if you're playing the friendly robber variant, or if you're trying to deter others from building on a certain spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the rules say that you can steal a resource from a player with a settlement or city adjacent to the hex where you place the robber, this implies that you cannot steal anything when there are no cities or settlements adjacent to this hex.

Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must move the robber, as you can't leave it in the same spot after a 7 is rolled. You can move it wherever you please. If you choose to move it to an unoccupied space, you won't have the ability to block off a resource that someone else is using or take a card from anyone.

Personally, unless you're trying to play nice, I wouldn't see the benefit in doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
You must move the robber, as you can't leave it in the same spot after a 7 is rolled. You can move it wherever you please. If you choose to move it to an unoccupied space, you won't have the ability to block off a resource that someone else is using or take a card from anyone.

Personally, unless you're trying to play nice, I wouldn't see the benefit in doing this.

There is a variant in Traders and Barbarians w/ the robber where he can't be placed next to settlements of players that have only have their initial settlements built (2vp), so you could easily run into situations where you have to move a robber a hex with no adjacent settlements in the early game .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tharfa Gar
New Zealand
flag msg tools
thanks all for the swift replies.. in my mind it could've gone either way (i.e. since the rules state that you steal from a player with an adjacent settlement/city, this implies that you have to place the robber such that he/she is adjacent to at least one settlement/city) but I'm happy to proceed with the option to not steal at all.

I've read elsewhere 'if you're trying to play nice, you're not playing Catan..' but I've found (in the few weeks that we've been playing) that co-op works pretty well too.

anyway thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.