Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
PLEASE DO NOT SHARE THIS

Hey guys, I created an instructional video for Mansions of Madness second edition, and while I usually work pretty closely with the publisher on my videos, this time, I'm really just doing it because this is the game that started my series, and revisiting it 5 years later was just something I couldn't resist.

I think having as many eyes on it as possible would be helpful before I make a public release (that will be much harder to fix).

This video is currently not public, it's only view-able if you have the link.

If anyone has 30 minutes to spare and would be willing to check this over for any possible rules mistakes, it would be really appreciated. Even if that means replying and saying "Nope, didn't see any problems".

If there are any problem I need to correct, it means this video will be removed and replaced, so that's another reason I'd like the link to not be shared beyond here, if possible.

VIDEO REMOVED

Thanks for the big assist everyone. The old version has been removed. A new video will be uploaded for official release tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rodney - I just ordered this and it arrives tomorrow. How "spoilerish" is the video. I'd love to help you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Rodney - I just ordered this and it arrives tomorrow. How "spoilerish" is the video. I'd love to help you out.

I very purposefully avoided spoilers. I think there is one search item that I reveal, but it's something very light from early in the first scenario that shouldn't affect your experience in any meaningful way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:

I very purposefully avoided spoilers. I think there is one search item that I reveal, but it's something very light from early in the first scenario that shouldn't affect your experience in any meaningful way.

I'll check it out ASAP. Thanks Rodney!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Are you going to be doing an actual playthrough Rodney, or just a the 'How to Play'? I originally discovered your channel through your Mansions playthrough so would love to see you play this version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Are you going to be doing an actual playthrough Rodney, or just a the 'How to Play'? I originally discovered your channel through your Mansions playthrough so would love to see you play this version.

Yes, we're doing a play through - and I can't wait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

Yes, we're doing a play through - and I can't wait

Great news Neither can I. I look forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rodney,

Still new to the game myself - didn't see any mistakes as far as I know. Found it useful and informative (as always).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Great video

Only two minor points I noticed.

@26:54 If you fail an evade, not all instances cause you lose your action. Sometimes, you fail but the app doesn't make any mention of forfeiting your action (in a game I played, the investigator took damage but wasn't told to forfeit).

@28:19 You might want to add dice to the list of items that are not limited by the number of components. While you do mention this earlier, it might be less confusing if you also repeat at this point that the number of dice you can roll isn't limited to five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing really major, some nitpicks.

When describing becoming wounded/insane, first resolve all damage/horror (if face up), then proceed by discarding the face down damage. In your example you added two face down damage so it's not really a problem. Might need a clarification though. Resolving face up first does matter, since an effect of damage/horror might be to discard a damage/horror so investigator might have avoided becoming wounded/insane.

When an investigator is eliminated, do not select End Game from the menu, instead select Investigator Eliminated and then select End Game inside that. You'll get an epilogue instead of being taken to main menu directly.

Otherwise very good, as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
jhsa wrote:
When describing becoming wounded/insane, first resolve all damage/horror (if face up), then proceed by discarding the face down damage. In your example you added two face down damage so it's not really a problem. Might need a clarification though. Resolving face up first does matter, since an effect of damage/horror might be to discard a damage/horror so investigator might have avoided becoming wounded/insane.

This is a good point. At first glance, it seems some people are somewhat confused over this.

It may be worth noting that if, for example, you receive two face-up damage/horror, you must resolve the first one completely before you start resolving the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Bivins

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall looks good Rodney!

At 20:20 you mention that "if you are in or adjacent to a light source, ignore darkness". However, spaces that are separated by walls are still adjacent, but walls block light sources (and as you mention, doors do not).

You might want to mention that Insane players cannot reveal the back of their Insane card to other players. You mention it when you get the card, but might be more clear that you can never show it.

Sight Tokens aren't mentioned and may need a quick sentence explaining them.

I don't know if it's mentioned, but if there's a tie for something (such as "attack the player with the most HP"), the players decide.

These are more FAQ type issues than rules, but:

At 25:00, when the monsters move and attack, you might clarify that when the monsters move, they stop when they enter a space with an investigator.

When monsters spawn, they are not restricted by barricades, walls, etc.

If instructed to flip or discard damage, do it randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rodney

Looks great. I didn't have any other feedback that hasn't already been posted above.

Your efforts are an asset the the community. BTW, your MoM videos from years ago are why I own v1 today.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Jackson
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff!

The things that I picked up on were more in the nature of exclusions. Probably for the sake of clarity, but, just in case

Trade Action: According rule manual: "An investigator can perform the trade action to allow himself and each other investigator in his space to give any number of his possessions to an investigator in this space". Your explanation seems to implies that only the active investigator can only give to another.

Set Fire Action: Can also set fire to current or an adjacent space.

Thanks, love your videos! I always look for one when I'm learning a new games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good feedback everyone! Thanks for the comments so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I think you should seperate the conditions and spells in each pile by themselves..but thats just nitpicking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mordai wrote:
I think you should seperate the conditions and spells in each pile by themselves..but thats just nitpicking...

That's what I do (actually set them all in a card holder). Faster to find correct ones and shuffle, but it's not really needed. If any, I'd keep at least insanity cards separate, to avoid accidentaly seeing the backside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mordai wrote:

Oh yeah, there's lots of little things I differently in terms of how I set things up, but that's personal preference. I leave that to the players to decide as they like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mordai wrote:

There's nothing stopping you to do this but the set-up instructions don't tell you to do that.

Setup tell you to have a single pile of Condition cards and a separate pile of all the Spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent video! You cleared up more than a few rules that I wasn't completely confident with. Really nice work!

The only comment I have to add is on the Save Game. I don't believe you mentioned taking a picture of the physical game board to save the locations of the monsters, investigators, barricades, fire, and dropped items.

I haven't actually used the save game feature yet, but since the app doesn't track these items, it seems like it would be up to the players to record this information. A simple photo or two of the board should take care of that.

It's kind of a shame that the app doesn't handle this itself. A nice enhancement would be for it to prompt you for these specific photos within the app for when you save the game. That way it stores it for you and keeps it with your save game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, didn't see any problems. Looks good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other folks caught some of the things I noticed, but here are a few more:

When you show the tile side by side with the app at around the 5:00 mark there is a door blocked on the app but not on the tile.

Also, during the Trade explanation around the 10:41 mark, you mention dropping and picking up Items, but that should be Possessions.

I always enjoy your videos, so thanks!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good catches here, folks!

Good to have these found out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At 5:07, you missed adding the second Wall token on the top left door. (It was covered by the text box telling you to place the walls)

15:40: You can also set fire in an adjacent space.

16:40: Based on the phrasing in the RR about the extinguish action that "Fire discarded by this effect does not cause the investigator
to suffer Damage," I think it's the case that if you perform the Extinguish action but do not discard the fire in your space, you still take damage for performing an action.

22:00: You can also tap the symbols to enter a guess into a code puzzle (and tap a symbol in your guess to delete it if you misentered something)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy dimichina

vancouver
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome video as always. I have this game and simply love it. You know I had to bust out my 1st edition because my old friend Harvey walters was needed on the case yet again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.