Hide
6 Posts

Catacombs (third edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Stun shot alternative! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
peppington smith
msg tools
I'm a huge fan of catacombs, but I wish the stun shot didn't cause player's to miss their turn. Instead, I treat stun shots like a grapple. We place the stunning monster (or projectile) on top of the affected hero's disc. During the hero's turn, they can use their action to flick off the monster (positioning it for their allies), or wait for a friend to bump it off for them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're planning to use this variant the next time we play:

Whenever a hero recovers from stun they get immunity to stun effects until the start of their next turn.

The result is basically that a hero can only get stunned every other turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron West
Canada
Greater Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
peppington wrote:
I'm a huge fan of catacombs, but I wish the stun shot didn't cause player's to miss their turn. Instead, I treat stun shots like a grapple. We place the stunning monster (or projectile) on top of the affected hero's disc. During the hero's turn, they can use their action to flick off the monster (positioning it for their allies), or wait for a friend to bump it off for them!

I've never been particularly fond of the stun mechanic, but kept it in Catacombs Third Edition for continuity with 1st/2nd edition. The timing around it can be confusing for new players. In the reprint of Catacombs Third Edition we could include tokens for the Stun shot such that it could work in a manner similar to the Bite shot. I'm seriously considering it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Breese
msg tools
I think that would be a welcome addition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Festa
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aronwest wrote:
peppington wrote:

I've never been particularly fond of the stun mechanic, but kept it in Catacombs Third Edition for continuity with 1st/2nd edition. The timing around it can be confusing for new players. In the reprint of Catacombs Third Edition we could include tokens for the Stun shot such that it could work in a manner similar to the Bite shot. I'm seriously considering it.

Yeah! It would be very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peppington smith
msg tools
That would be great! Trying to ricochet off a monster to knock a stun token off an ally would be a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.