flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
28 December (Turn 7)

Freeze, Good, 2 hexes
The 668 Flak battalion is unassigned from 5FJ
Germans receive 1 AV and 5 non-AV replacements
Allies receive 6 AV and 19 non-AV replacements
Allied Air Points: 9

Formation Draw: A(35ID), G(26VG), G(276VG)
The German chooses…

26th Volksgrenadier Division
Fatigue: 4
SNAFU mods: -5
The latest errata says that units at Fatigue 4 can no longer roll for 2nd activations. I’d need an 8+ for a Partial, so I’ll recover and hope for a 50:50 2nd activation on a 7+.
Activation: Recover
Fatigue is decreased to 3 and a 2nd activation is rolled.

Fatigue: 3
SNAFU mods: -4
Activation: Pass! (roll of 11)
A Double Tap goes on Bastogne itself, and the division tightens the ring around the city, carrying out 5 desperate attacks on units of the 101st. The defenders lose 5 steps in total, but they hold fast without a single retreat, and the attackers also take losses. Fatigue increases back to 5.

Formation Draw: A(CCA/9), G(276VG), G(167VG)
The German chooses…

167th Volksgrenadier Division
Fatigue: Fresh
SNAFU mods: 0
Activation: Partial
This newly arriving AR3 formation is on the Bastogne road north of Houffalize. It could reinforce Clervaux or Wiltz, join the attack on Bastogne, or plug the gap that 6th Armored is poised to exploit. With only a Partial activation it can wait to decide where to commit, as the division can only reach Houffalize without a 5+ for a 2nd activation. The roll is 4, and thanks to the Fresh bonus they make it.

The formation ends strung out along the Noville-Bourcy road with all options still open next turn. I notice the division has no support, which would make them ill-prepared to deal with a US armoured division, but I can allocate them a flak battalion next turn.

Formation Draw: A(6AD), G(FBegB), A(101AB)
The Allies choose…

6th Armored Division

Fatigue: 1
SNAFU mods: -1
Activation: Pass
With the relief of Bastogne now a priority, the division is ordered to open a supply road to the city. This will involve breaking through the 26 VG and 5FJ HQs and forcing three battalions off the road - a tall order, and the division only has the integral 4 points of artillery. One OBJ goes on 0518 and the other on 0320. TF LaGrew, with an aerial suppression barrage, shock attacks the 26VG HQ and supporting Ersatz battalion. Two steps are killed (to 1) and they are forced north. A further shock attack on 5FJ with more air support is less successful, but still forces a retreat with a 1 step loss to the attacker. A final attack by LaGrew with the support of TF Wall clears II/78 from the southern road at the cost of another step (to 4).

TF Davall, supported by engineers, sends Lehr’s I/901 battalion retreating NE with heavy losses. The II/901, at the gates of Bastogne, is sent to the graveyard after coordinated attacks by fire from TFs Brown and Britton. Bastogne is relieved - at least for the moment. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(80ID), G(FGrenB), G(9VG)
The Germans choose…

9th Volksgrenadier Division
Fatigue: 0
Battalions move up to, and in some case cross, the Our, threatening to put pressure on Skyline Drive. Another attempt to open the Dasburg bridge crossing goes badly, with II/36 being cut to pieces as they attack 1/319. Fatigue increases to 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(212VG), A(35ID), A(4ID),
The Allies choose…

35th Infantry Division
SNAFU mods: -2
Activation: Fail
The fail is accepted so the infantry can get out of unprepared mode. A 2nd activation is gained.

The division cautiously advances to contact with F Beg and 26VG. The normally reliable US artillery opens up but fails to cause a single loss.

Formation Draw: A(CCA/9), A(26ID), G(79VG)
The Allies choose…

26th Infantry Division
A flip is used to lower fatigue to 2. There will be no assault on Wiltz this day.

Formation Draw: G(352VG), A(101AB), G(FBegB)
The German chooses…

Fuhrer Begleit Brigade

It’s a problem deciding what to do with the Brigade. Facing off against the 35th Infantry would be an attrition battle they just cannot win. I decide on a bold strike against Bastogne from the north. The panzers drop support on 2/501, but fail to kill the unit. The Stugs are then sent in along the Longchamps road, and have to use both attacks by fire to eliminate the paratroops.

I/FB passes though a 26VG battalion to take the vacated position and supports the panzers attacking 1/502. Each side loses a step, with the US down to their last. Fatigue remains at 1 and a 2nd activation is gained.

The panzers drop support on 1/502 and then eliminate the unit. Two infantry battalions stack to assault Bastogne with artillery support. The Germans lose 2 steps and make no gains. The Stugs drop support and kill a step of 2/502 (to 1). Fatigue remains at 1. The 101st has just 7 steps remaining, but still maintains its grip on Bastogne.

Formation Draw: A(4AD), G(FGrenB), A(4ID)
The Allies choose…

4th Armored Division
Fatigue: 2
I really want them to wipe out 5FJ this turn, so I take the Fail and hope for the 2nd activation. 4th Armored is the best US unit, and only needs a 3+. But I roll a 1, and the division pauses for breath.

Formation Draw: G(276VG), G(5FJ), G(79VG)
The German chooses…

5th Fallshirmjager Dvision
They see a chance to retreat before 6th Cavalry can cut them off.
SNAFU mods: -6
Four remaining battalions retreat to follow their HQ northward. KG Bernk goes to the graveyard due to isolation. A 2nd activation is rolled.

SNAFU mods: -3
The formation is able to escape the US trap and deploy to defend the crossing of the Wiltz at Benonchamps, plugging the gap between Bastogne and Wiltz itself.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), G(79VG), G(FGrenB)
The German chooses…

79th Volksgrenadier Division
No actions taken. I don’t want to lose Fresh status for the privilege of firing 1 point of artillery, so the formation is happy to await a US attack.

Formation Draw: G(276VG), A(109/28), A(4ID)
The Allies choose…

109th/28 Infantry Regiment
Activation: Fail.
I take a flip and lower fatigue to 1. A lot of US units seem to be paralysed this turn. Must be a strategy argument at Army headquarters.

Formation Draw: A(5ID), A(6CavG), G(352VG)
The Allies choose…

5th Infantry Division
The division attacks all along the front line shared with 79VG, capturing 2 hexes and sending 1 battalion to the graveyard at the cost of 2 infantry steps. The supply line to Wiltz is now cut by US ZoCs. Fatigue increases to 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(6CavG), G(FGrenB), A(CCA/9)
The Allies choose…

CCA/9th Armored Division
Prepared Defence is dropped
A barrage sends II/987 to the graveyard. The tank battalion sees off I/986, shock attacks the 276VG HQ and sends them fleeing over the river, finally moving up to I/987 and also driving off that battalion with losses. The cavalry take Vianden. Fatigue remains at 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(15PG), G(352VG), G(FGrenB)
The German chooses…

15th Panzergrenadier Division
A flip lowers fatigue to zero.

Formation Draw: G(352VG), A(101AB), A(4ID)
The Allies choose…

101st Airborne Division
Use 7 Air points to re-supply
SNAFU mods: +1
Barrages kill a step from each of the Begleit battalions adjacent to Bastogne, and now that the road south is clear the Train can be placed on the board and allow replacements to taken. It is placed in 0214. Fatigue remains at 3 and there is no 2nd activation

Formation Draw: A(80ID), A(6CavG), G(352VG)
The Allies choose…

80th Infantry Division
The division is concerned by the threat of 9VG, and pulls back the two battalions from the Our to prevent encirclement. With assurances that CCA/9 will come to their support tomorrow, the formation continues to attack Clervaux. 2/319 loses 2 steps in the assault, and the defenders are untouched, with artillery fire completely ineffective. Fatigue increases to 3 and a 2nd activation is gained.

The attack continues using a double tap on Clervaux. Another step is lost, but at least artillery kills a step from the garrison and the battalion to the NW. Fatigue rises to 4. The 80th is going to need some help.

Formation Draw: G(FGrenB), A(6CavG), G(352VG)
The German chooses…

Fuhrer Grenadier Brigade
Seeing a chance to re-open the supply line to Wiltz, the Tigers move to 1617 (causing unavoidable coordination issues with 79VG). In two engagements they kill a step of TF Hamilton and force them back. The FG Panzers drop support and kill a step of 5th Infantry’s 2/2 battalion. Fatigue remains at zero and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), G(212VG), G(352VG)
The German chooses…

212th Volksgrenadier Division
Prep Def is dropped
The division continues to fall back the to the West Wall. The HQ takes the opportunity to relocate to north of the West Wall, and the Train is shifted also. A 2nd activation is rolled but is a Fail. Prep Def is re-established and the Train flips back of Ghost mode for next turn.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), A(6CavG), G(352VG)
The Allies choose…

6th Cavalry Group
Activation: Recovery
There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), G(352VG), G(278VG)
The German chooses…

276 Volksgrenadier Division
SNAFU mods: -6
II/986 flees back over the Our at the cost of a step. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), G(352VG)
The Allies win the die roll…

4th Infantry Division

352nd Volksgrenadier Division
Activation: Partial. No action taken.

29 December (Turn 8)

Freeze, Poor, 1 hexes
The 668 Flak battalion is assigned to 167VG. 4 Allied Artillery are unassigned from 4th ID.
Germans receive 1 AV and 5 non-AV replacements
Allies receive 6 AV and 17 non-AV replacements
Allied Air Points: 0

Formation Draw: G(79VG), G(26VG), G(3PG)
The German chooses…

79th Volksgrenadier Division
It takes its activation before the MSR can be re-closed.
No attacks are made and no roll for a 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(6AD), G(1SS), G(5FJ)
The German chooses…

5th Fallshirmjager Division
I was tempted to bring on the SS against Bastogne, but it would be better if I could avoid mixed formations and coordination problems, and to do that I will need to move 5FJ and 26VG first.
Establish Prep Def
Units set up to defend the crossings of the Wiltz stream, and the Train relocates east to clear the Houffalize road for the reinforcing divisions. There is no 2nd activation.

While taking the screencap I noticed a 15PG battalion defending the Wiltz stream, way out of CR of its HQ near Clervaux. When I spotted a 2nd 15PG unit nearby I realised I must have brought them on as replacements for dead Fuhrer Grenadier Brigade infantry instead of the correct units. These have now been replaced with the correct battalions.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), G(3PG), A(109/28)
The Allies choose…

109th/28 Regiment

The Regiment shifts north to engage 276VG and 9VG, freeing CCA/9 to head for Clervaux. A barrage on the West Wall hex eliminates I/987, and II/116 is reduced by 2 steps (to 3). Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(FGrenB), G(352VG), G(212VG)
The German chooses…

352nd Volksgrenadier Division
I want to save the Fuhrer Grenadiers to act after the allies have attacked, so I can counter-attack any successes.
No actions are taken. I’ll post a pic, just to remind readers where the 1 step division is located.

Formation Draw: G(1SS), A(35ID), A(4ID)
The Allies choose…

35th Infantry Division
The division pushes toward Bastogne and the N4 road, driving off a battalion of the 26VG and killing a step of KG Kunkel with artillery. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(276VG), G(15PG), G(FBegB)
The German chooses…

Fuhrer Begleit Brigade

SNAFU mods: -6 (35th ID have cut the supply link to the Train)
The Train is relocated to supply via the Houffalize road. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(212VG), G(167VG), G(1SS)
The German chooses…

167th Volkgrenadier Division
The division marches east to support 15PG at Clervaux. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(1SS), A(4AD), A(6CavG)
The Allies choose…

6th Cavalry Group

I really need 6th Armored to act before I activate 4th Armored.
The Group is sent to the rear, to clear confusion with 6th Armored and to relocate to the Skyline Drive front. They reach Boulaide village and are no longer mixed with another division. A 2nd activation is rolled.

The move east continues, with the Group SE of Bilsdorf.

Formation Draw: G(276VG), A(4ID), A(5ID)
The Allies choose…

5th Infantry Division
Barrages kill 6 steps of 79VG, including 2 from the garrison of Wiltz. An attack takes 1719 and cuts supply to Wiltz once again. Fatigue remains at 2 and a 2nd activation is gained.

The I/208 in Wiltz is eliminated by artillery. Two battalions in the line are reduced to a single step. The follow-up assaults succeed in taking Wiltz and killing the battalion to the north. The concentrated effort by the 5th has shattered the German defenders this day. Fatigue increases to 3.

Formation Draw: A(6AD), A(CCA/9), G(9VG)
The Allies choose…

6th Armored Division
The division shifts east to face off against the old foes of 4th Armored, the 5FJ. TF Kennedy drives back III/15, and attacks by fire cause losses among the front line paratroops after support is dropped. Fatigue remains at 1 and a 2nd activation is gained.

Further pressure captures Benonchamps and drives 5FJ back from the stream. Fatigue remains at 1.

The 5FJ support is marked as Stand-Off when it should be Red - it’s just a StuG battalion. I’ve corrected this.

Formation Draw: A(101AB), A(80ID), G(1SS)
The Allies choose…

80th Infantry Division
SNAFU mods: -4
The chances of avoiding a fail are better than 50%, so I think I’ll chance it.
Ah, well. I’ll take a flip to lower fatigue and wait for reinforcements to take Clervaux.

Formation Draw: G(15PG), A(CCA/9), A(11AD)
The Allies choose…

CCA/9th Armored Division
CCA/9 motors hard up Skyline Drive, objective: Ouren. The HQ and cavalry reach Heinersheid, delayed slightly by the slower armour. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(FGrenB), A(4AD), G(276VG)
The German chooses…

276th Volksgrenadier Division
I was intending to take advantage of the US weakness to try and cut the Skyline Drive, but the unit has other ideas and politely radios higher command to say a period of reorganisation will be necessary. I take the flip to lower fatigue to 1 and take the Train out of ghost mode.

Formation Draw: G(FGrenB), G(26VG), G(1SS)
The German chooses…

26th Volksgrenadier Division
This unit definitely needs to go before 4th Armored can strike.
SNAFU mods: -9
Ah. I don’t think modifiers can get much worse than this. Obviously nothing is going to happen, but I need a Fail in order to carry out voluntary retreats.
The formation tries to escape from 35th infantry before they can be crushed against the walls of Bastogne. The HQ also retreats, as 6th Armored have cut the MSR.

Formation Draw: G(3PG), G(FGrenB), A(101AB)
The German chooses…

Fuhrer Grenadier Brigade
I see no hope of retaking Wiltz, so its time to pull back to avoid being trapped. The panzer battalion drives off TF Kennedy with a 1 step loss. Fatigue increase to 1 and a 2nd activation is gained.

The Tigers drive off 6th Armored’s cavalry battalion with a 1 step loss. The panzers do the same to TF LaGrew.

It’s interesting to see the snowball effect of multiple formations having to fallback on an inadequate road network and the problems it causes with SNAFU rolls. The German rear areas are in complete chaos, because supply Trains for the entire 10 formations west of Skyline Drive can only use two roads leading north for MSR. Add two new formations needing to use those roads to reinforce and you have coordination problems everywhere and several mixed formations. Add the -1 date modifier and the state of fatigue after 8 days of fighting and a lot of German units are going to fail to do anything.

Formation Draw: G(15PG), G(3PG), G(9VG)
The German chooses…

9th Volksgrenadier Division
9VG abandons Dasborg and sends 2 battalions speeding north to reinforce threatened Ouren. One battalion is able to cross the Our using the bridge in 3029, and attack the HQ and cavalry battalion of CCA/9 as they drive north. The ambush kills 2 steps of the cavalry and send the stack fleeing south. I/116 occupies the road. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation. The allied advance on Ouren has been stymied for now.

Formation Draw: A(101AB), G(212VG), A(11AD)
The Allies choose…

11th Armored Division
Coming on from the West there’s no real roon to go anywhere other than to swing around the West side of Bastogne.

Formation Draw: G(3PG), A(26ID), G(15PG)
The German chooses…

15th Panzergrenadier Division
An attempt to open the supply route to Clervaux fails, with the loss of a step. Two steps are lost to isolation. Fatigue increase to 1. There is no 2nd activation. Oh - hang on - enemy ZoCs are negated by the presence of a friendly unit for safe path purposes, so Clervaux is not isolated now. I wonder if I’ve been getting this wrong previously.

Formation Draw: G(3PG), G(1SS), G(212VG)
The German chooses…

1st SS Panzer Division
The division heads for Clervaux along the packed roads. A 2nd activation is gained.

Formation Draw: G(212VG), A(101AB), A(4ID)
The Allies choose…

101st Airborne Division
The 3/502 attack out of Bastogne under cover of a heavy barrage, sending the two Begleit battalions in retreat with a step loss each. 3/506 attacks south and drives off II/78, re-establishing a defensive a perimeter for the city. Fatigue remains at 3 and there is no 2nd activation

Formation Draw: A(26ID), G(212VG), A(4AD)
The Allies choose…

4th Armored Division

Aargh! Just when everything was set up to roll over 26VG. That’s two full days with no action from this ‘elite’ unit! Do I risk the 2/3 chance of a re-activation or take the flip? I don’t think 26VG is likely to be able to activate even if they go before 4AD tomorrow, so I’ll flip & reduce the fatigue. It increase the chances of a full pass for next turn.

Formation Draw: A(26ID), A(4ID), G(212VG)
The Allies choose…

26th Infantry Division
The division shifts west to cross the Wiltz stream. The two defending 79VG battalions are overwhelmed by barrages and attacks, and 2 battalions of the 101st Regiment sieze the far bank. Fatigue increases to 3 and a 2nd activation is rolled.

Formation Draw: G(3PG), A(4ID), G(212VG)
The German chooses…

3rd Panzergrenadier Division
The division takes the western road through Houffalize and Bertogne to challenge the advance of 35ID and 11AD. No 2nd activation is gained.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), G(212VG)
The German wins the die roll…

212th Volksgrenadier Division

4th Infantry Division

A flip is taken to lower fatigue to 1.

I’ll call the scenario as an allied victory at this point, which is a couple of turns longer than I would have predicted on T5. The gradual increase in negative SNAFU modifiers as games go on certainly has a big effect on the tempo. Units get snarled up and fail to act, which usually matters more for the attacker than the defender. The road net can have a huge effect on this. Every German unit was being forced to use the same couple of roads for transit and supply, which led to huge coordination problems. I really liked the buddy rule as it affected the US Combat Command. It was able to zip about where it was needed without worrying about other units at all.

I think a German victory in this scenario would be very hard to pull off, but I no longer think it’s impossible. Let me know if you’ve managed it - I’d like to hear what happened.

I feel that I have a good handle on sequencing formation activation after all this, so I probably won’t use chit pull again. The march OBJ rule that I used was only significant 3 or 4 times in the entire scenario, but it’s no trouble to use and I’ll probably stick with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Massey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realised a couple of things I'd been doing wrong after a discussion on CSW.

1) Pure armour units (with no assault arrow) should not be carrying out attacks.

2) You can do shock attacks as long as you have TAC movement (I was thinking you had to have an AV value)

There are a few cases where I broke rule 1), and rule 2) was broken by omission.

I doubt is made much difference overall, as most of the US armour is assault capable anyway, but I certainly used recon units and some german panzers incorrectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.