Popular Tags: [View All]
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
sorry to be slow here, can you help me one more time. Here is an example:

Falcon, Rapid Reinforcements:

Put a Hero from the HQ on the bottom of the Hero Deck.
(Tech Symbol): If that Hero had a Recruit icon, you get +1 Recruit.

This Falcon card has a Tech symbol on it, it is hard for me to believe/remember that I need another Tech card, in addition to this one, to use this simple ability ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Bruns
Germany
flag msg tools
You need to play another Tech card first so that you can use the effect to get the +1 recruit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
cad37 wrote:
sorry to be slow here, can you help me one more time. Here is an example:

Falcon, Rapid Reinforcements:

Put a Hero from the HQ on the bottom of the Hero Deck.

This Falcon card has a Tech symbol on it, it is hard for me to believe/remember that I need another Tech card, in addition to this one, to use this simple ability ?

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Are you saying that you think the printed instruction is incorrect and along with that, you are having a hard time to remember you can only get the +1 Recruit if you have in play another Tech Hero.

Not much we can do about you not remembering the Tech requirement.

Not sure why you think the printed instructions are incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry Chris, no, I understand what is printed, it just seems odd to me. It feels like when it reads TECH, blah blah blah, that should mean your TECH card should trigger the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
cad37 wrote:
Sorry Chris, no, I understand what is printed, it just seems odd to me. It feels like when it reads TECH, blah blah blah, that should mean your TECH card should trigger the effect.

Not if you were to read the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Not cool, Xris. OP doesn't understand the rule. Lack of understanding is far different from claiming it's incorrect. Accusing Cad37 of the latter is just rude.

It helps to notice that almost every card with these symbols in their effects already has that symbol. If the card you play qualified for it, then it would be wasteful to ever include such a requirement. There are plenty of cards that state no requirement. I think the cause of your confusion is a confirmation bias is sticking in your head. You may have initially concluded that the card you play would qualify, and thus evidence suggesting otherwise is difficult to consider. I would quote the specific page and entry of the rule book if I had it handy. As I do not, some examples to consider:

* Rogue's "Borrowed Strength" only supplies 1 power by itself, but an additional 4 if there's another strength card. It needs to "borrow" strength from someone else (even if it's another copy of Borrowed Strength).
* Hulk's Growing Anger (or Growing Strength, I forget the exact name) provides 2 power by itself. If you have another strength card, it gives 1 extra. Think of this as the momentum of swinging about in anger.
* Iron Man has a card (I truly forget the name) that gives you 3 power, +1 for each other tech card you played. Both the requirement and the nature of the ability require you to have other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmb
Organous wrote:
Not cool, Xris. OP doesn't understand the rule. Lack of understanding is far different from claiming it's incorrect. Accusing Cad37 of the latter is just rude.

And perhaps Chris just didn't understand the OP's question. There is no reason to call anyone out. It is disruptive and should be left up to the moderators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cade, think of it this way, let's use a movie reference as an example.

We will create a card for Wolverine called Flying Claws.
It is has 2 Attack, and says:
mb: You get an additional +2 Attack

At the end battle of X-Men 3, Colossus throws Wolverine at Magneto.

Hence, you need to have played a mb card first (in this case Colossus) to be able to activate the ability on the card.

In the movie/comic book setting... how is Wolverine supposed to throw himself?

If you previously played a Wolverine mb card, then imagine he threw himself against a wall first and then jumped off, or something of the sort.

The idea is that something needs to have happened previously to trigger the event/ability, how that works out in the story is all up to you. If you've played any other card drafting games like Dominion or Magic, then this should be very familiar. It is card drafting mechanics 101.

On a side note, ignore the negative comments... we were all new players at one point, and some people seem to forget that. Welcome to BGG, feel free to ask anything you still don't understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
cad37 wrote:

If that were the case, the combos would be meaningless. Hulk's Growing Anger may as well just state +3 fight, and Rogue's Borrowed Brawn would be a straightforward +4 fight. The combos make the game. If you see Borrowed Brawn in the HQ, but you've been buying a ton of blues and reds, you're never going to get that +4 fight. That card essentially becomes an expensive SHIELD Trooper.

I think the trick of it is to remember that the first card of any color does not get any combos. It's just there to set up the combos, and that's why it's important to pay attention to the colors as you're building your deck. That red 6 may look powerful, but a blue 4 with the right combo could be even better if you've seeded.

When I play, I generally play into two piles. The left pile is for my non-combo cards: SHIELD gray cards and the first card of any color. Then my right pile is for the cards that are getting combos. If I have a yellow in my left pile, then I know that any more yellows I play go into that right pile for combo-ey goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you need to be more explicit about what zone your cards are in.

Keep your hand of cards (cards that you have not yet played) in your left hand and cards that you have already played in a pile on the table.

When you play a card, use your right hand to pull it out of your left and do all of the effects that are listed on the cards. Heroic abilities are, therefore, activated by looking for a matching symbol among the cards already on the table.

If you are having trouble remembering if a card benefited from its heroic ability or not (and are not playing solo), have other players keep track of your combat and recruit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
I absolutely did not take Chris's comment as rude, it was a fair comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From pages 11 and 12 of the Core Rules:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
The first thing I do when I open and set up my hand is to look for what combos well together and put them in order to play. That may help you too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that the best way for me to remember how this rule works is to consider the following -- What would be the difference between these two statements on the card?:

If that Hero had a Recruit icon, you get +1 Recruit.

and

If there's no difference, then putting that Tech Symbol there would be pointless. So it must mean something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.