mbmbmbmbmb
Inis
Cyclades
Kemet
Blood Rage
Cry Havoc
Nexus Ops
etc...etc..etc..

These are all essentially the same game. Why is the newest one always the next must have?

Please Internet... Tell me why I need to buy all these games when I really could just be playing El Grande and be just as happy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexus ops and kemet are dudes on a map games.
Blood rage is an eurogame dressed up.
Cyclades is an hybrid of the two (its so brilliantly hybrid that has an euro structure with a very american kingmaking problem).
Really not the same IMHO

cant speak much about the rest..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:
These are all essentially the same game.

They really aren't.

Kemet is a game that you have to attack to win. Cyclades is a role selection game where you win by cutting yourself off of the rest of the game and making it impossible to attack you. Blood Rage is more of area control but much more in the way of tweaks than El Grande. Don't know the others.

El Grande is a good game. I've owned it for over 25 years. But it's not the same as the other ones you listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Podsiadło
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EITHER you know literally nothing about each and every game you listed OR it's just very weak troll. I bet on the second one, personally.

#1Try... um... reading anything about how those games work? Yeah, that's a solution.
#2Or just leave and keep playing El Grande.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
mbmbmbmbmb
kalevi1999 wrote:
nexus ops and kemet are dudes on a map games.
Blood rage is an eurogame dressed up.
Cyclades is an hybrid of the two (its so brilliantly hybrid that has an euro structure with a very american kingmaking problem).
Really not the same IMHO

cant speak much about the rest..

Kemet is not a dudes on a map game, and is FAR more a eurogame than Blood Rage, which has drafting and silly card combos.

Also the OP is not really asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pullen

Amarillo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Bohnanza.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the OP should ask himself. He rated Cyclades a 9.5.

Also according to his collection he has two copies of TIME Stories which is literally owning two copies of the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
mdrog2 wrote:
These are all essentially the same game.

They really aren't.

Kemet is a game that you have to attack to win. Cyclades is a role selection game where you win by cutting yourself off of the rest of the game and making it impossible to attack you. Blood Rage is more of area control but much more in the way of tweaks than El Grande. Don't know the others.

El Grande is a good game. I've owned it for over 25 years. But it's not the same as the other ones you listed.

Cyclades isn't role selection - I love the genre, but Cyclades is just auction for an action. Role Selection implies everyone will take that action ala Puerto Rico.

On topic, I need to play Blood Rage more but for gameplay and balance ottomh:

Kemet > Blood Rage/El Grande > Cyclades. No idea of the rest but Cyclades has a kingmaker problem and Blood Rage has a runaway leader problem while Kemet has neither. El Grande has both issues actually, but its smoother and more refine than all of them just about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust no one
badge
ümlaüt
mbmbmbmbmb
The Internet actually has very little vested in your game choice. It says you can play whatever games you like and ignore any and all that you see fit based on the criteria of your choosing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parham
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all of those games with two exceptions, Cry Havoc arriving soon and Inis on my purchase list as soon as it's released; so, I'm not the right person to ask because I think they all have a place in my collection.

I haven't played El Grande but you can have your dry euro and I'll take any from the list above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:

Also according to his collection he has two copies of TIME Stories which is literally owning two copies of the same game.

He could be asking for a frame of reference for the others then. He may not have mentioned owning Cyclades to bias our results.

I do this sometimes too. I'll ask about games X Y Z as if I know nothing when in reality I really like game Y, so people don't give me bias input based on my liking Y.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

He could be asking for a frame of reference for the others then. He may not have mentioned owning Cyclades to bias our results.

I do this sometimes too. I'll ask about games X Y Z as if I know nothing when in reality I really like game Y, so people don't give me bias input based on my liking Y.
He also doesn't own El Grande (at least according to his collection) so I am pretty sure he is just trolling a bit or possibly making fun of people who ask similar questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Podsiadło
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think OP probably tries to sow a seed of flamewar between fans of those games.
I don't think answering to this thread is viable for any longer in terms of making this site better place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
El Grande is a good game. I've owned it for over 25 years.

That's impressive, given that it was published 21 years ago!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Cultures with Clash of Cultures: Civilizations runs away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this in Recommendations - when it just seems to be a bitch about games that arent El Grande?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
Mat628 wrote:

25 years ago is when I did the KS pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goreyok wrote:
I own all of those games with two exceptions, Cry Havoc arriving soon and Inis on my purchase list as soon as it's released; so, I'm not the right person to ask because I think they all have a place in my collection.

I haven't played El Grande but you can have your dry euro and I'll take any from the list above.

You should've stopped there. Everything after that is pretty much wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust no one
badge
ümlaüt
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
Goreyok wrote:

You should've stopped there. Everything after that is pretty much wrong.

My copy has never seen cup nor drop of water, and Goreyok's dedication to keeping it in good condition is very much appreciated. I'm not sure why you insist on ruining board games, but if you have been wondering why you keep getting kicked out of game groups I think I've found it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Kemet > Blood Rage/El Grande > Cyclades.

Nah..

El-Grande> Cyclades > Kemet and Bloodrage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Woehrle
United States
California
flag msg tools
Bad troll is bad.

Anyways, I do see the root of the question here. These games are all highly rated so the question becomes HOW DO I CHOOSE? You do your research! If you just blindly purchase OTHER peoples favorites then your not guaranteeing your getting a game you'll love. Watch play-through's, read the manuals, do what you gotta' do to not spend more money than you have to.

My other main suggestion is to consider what's most likely to hit the table. For example, my friends love science fiction so Cry Havoc is an easy sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
BlueSwan wrote:
Mat628 wrote:

25 years ago is when I did the KS pledge.

Hats off to you sir, that was pure comedy gold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to. They all suck except for Blood Rage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.