Mare Nostrum: Empires» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trading rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tuttlebee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Am I right in assuming that during the trading phase, coins CAN'T be offered as one of the "commodities"?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools

Hi there

Section 2.1 of rulebook says "The Trade Leader plays one of the Exchange Markers, for the value of his choice, to determine how many Resources (Commodities and/or Coins) each player must choose from his Resource Supply and place face down in front of his Empire Screen."

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Gary,

As Robert says, you can most definitely offer Coins for Trade. That occurred several times in our game yesterday (Sunday). You could even offer the Legendary Commodities for Trade (doubtful they'll be offered).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmb
It's actually incredibly important for certain races (Rome and Carthage) to trade a coin out on the first turn, or you've basically lost 1/3 of your production on the first turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you can save 2 coins and the basic units cost 3 coins or commodities, you don't really have to trade coins if you don't want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
untitledFolder wrote:
Since you can save 2 coins and the basic units cost 3 coins or commodities, you don't really have to trade coins if you don't want to.

Indeed, with little experience of this game under my belt, I do wonder if it is ever useful to trade coins away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might trade coins if you were trying to get enough commodities for a Hero/Wonder or Temple/Market because you would need more than 3. Or if you thought you would have 2 commodities and a coin left after producing. You would get to keep the coin but lose the commodities. So it can be useful to trade coins.

But yeah, you should maybe think a bit before putting coins out to trade, especially if a player like Egypt looks to be scooping them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stratton
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hi, Eric,

Not sure why Legendary Commodities would be so much less likely to be offered. Once obtained, they're no different than any other commodity. There could be some value in other players not knowing which Legendary you obtained, but that doesn't seem to come up as often as I would have expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tuttlebee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Fantastic help!

Thank you everyone for clarification :-)

Gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik_the_Red wrote:
Hi, Eric,

Not sure why Legendary Commodities would be so much less likely to be offered. Once obtained, they're no different than any other commodity. There could be some value in other players not knowing which Legendary you obtained, but that doesn't seem to come up as often as I would have expected.

Yeah, some comments by others around the traps gives the impression that some players might be thinking all legendary commodities are unique, but this isn't the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.