Subject: How to keep track? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially in 4 and 5 player games a lot of time is spent bij the players tracking down which cards could still be in the other players hands. We thought of keeping track by laying open the remaining cards (in a 4 player game) or make some tiles to flip.
Do you feel this is a good idea (or do you use it already) or do you feel it is against the intention of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
Honestly, I feel it is against the spirit of the game. Also, we are talking about a player selecting 4 out of 10 cards. I think this would just grind the game to a halt.

Just from board position and what they have played (which is open on the board), you can get a feel for what they might have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Gary's comment. We don't bother keeping exact track. The game can get a little long already with many players, and that would really disrupt the flow even more. I play it to have fun, and working out exactly which cards everyone has is anything but that, for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tactitles wrote:
I'll second Gary's comment. We don't bother keeping exact track. The game can get a little long already with many players, and that would really disrupt the flow even more. I play it to have fun, and working out exactly which cards everyone has is anything but that, for me.
Hm, the idea to keep track for all players is to speed up the game, not to lengthen it! I agree that you better play it loosely, but not all players can (or do).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just thought of something, if you made a player aid with spaces for all of the cards. You could standardize how the cards were displayed after play, which would give a quick visual what was played, and potentially what was left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't feel that its against the spirit of the game to keep track of which cards have been played. The cards that have been played are open information, keeping track of it just speeds the game up. If it was against the spirit of the game, the information wouldn't be open.

The easiest way to keep track of which cards have been played is to take the cards that other players have played but you haven't chosen out of your not-chosen pile and lay them out separately (I usually turn them sideways). This way you can see which cards haven't been played by looking at which cards you haven't pulled out of that pile. Best of all, everything for this comes with the game and you don't need to make anything new!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
I simply cannot fathom any need for this idea whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.