GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 90.86
37.2% of Goal | 26 Days Left
When it comes to storing my minis, I have three criteria. They are
1) My minis are kept safe. I like to take care of my stuff, and I don't want my paint job to be ruined.
2) The minis are portable. I move around a bit, and move time is the most likely time possessions get damaged.
3) It has to be cost effective. I wish I was rich. I'm not.
For my other minis (Star Wars X-Wing and Star Wars Armada) I have used the Game Plus system as it ticks all three of my criteria. Sure, they're soft bags, but the minis haven't been damaged yet. For KD:M, this system wasn't going to work as the minis are just too big.
I started by looking at other companies that offer dedicated mini solutions and only found one that had trays that could contain the two problem children of this game; Dragon King and Spidicules. The only company I found that could do it was Battlefoam, but even then, their largest tray size would be a very tight squeeze for Spidicules' legs. Combined with the fact that the bag without any foam would cost $160, and criteria 3 was shot out of the water. (I think I calculated a total price of over $300.)
After a bit of searching, I found the Foam Factory. The price of a pick and pluck foam sheet was roughly the same as Battlefoam, except the sheets were over 4 times the size. In some cases, I could split one sheet of foam and use them as complete layers in the tubs. This saved a good amount of money. I decided use this foam in some tubs bought from the Container Store.
Here are some photos of my solution.
The two tubs with all of the minis in them. The left tub is for the Dragon King and Spidicules alone.
These are the foam enclosures I made for the Dragon King and Spidicules. They sit one on top of the other in the smaller tub. I cut some foam core and glued/taped it together to make it safer.
The top layer of foam removed, showing how they're stored.
The top layer of the large tub. i haven't yet added Manhunter or Dung Beetle Knight as I'm still assembling and painting them. Note that I can fit another layer on top of this tray. The string is glued to a foam core sheet that enable me to take the top layer out easily.
The bottom layer of the big tub. The empty space is for Sunstalker who is still being assembled. Slender Man had to go in here as he's rather tall. Please note that there is more room for future expansions.
If you do go down the path I have, please note that the Foam Factory's cutting isn't as precise as mini specific pick and pluck systems. When you lay one sheet on another, the cubes won't always line up perfectly, but a clever person can work around that.
All up, this cost me $180 for the tubs and the foam. Yes, some people will say that I went a little overboard, but consider that this whole storage system has room to grow, will protect everything perfectly AND was only a little more expensive than the Dragon King itself. As for the game components, used this box insert. It works wonderfully.
For those who are interested, here are my painted minis. I know they're not half as good as some of the ones I have seen in the forums, but I'm rather happy with them. Plus, keep in mind that I had only ever painted 12 minis before I tackled KD:M.
Thoughts or questions?
Nice work. Can you post links to the foam you used please?
Here is the link for all of the foam sheets they have available.
Keep in mind that I trimmed off 2 rows of cubes from each side as the edges weren't the neatest. Even so, after you take those rows you're still getting so much more foam per dollar than any competitor. And the sheets are still massive, despite the loss of the "trimmings".
Also, take note that these sheets are perforated all the way across, they don't have the non-perforated boundary that dedicated mini solutions have. I left a border of three cubes on each side to ensure it maintained structural strength, although looking back, the tray of small minis only really needed 2 rows.
Remember that splitting foam sheets can save money. With Spidicules, I determined that I needed 3 layers of 2.5" foam. The 12" x 13" was too small, but the 18" x 20" was big enough. Instead of buying three sheets of 18" x 20", I bought 2 sheets of 24" x 26". I cut 1 layer from each sheet and then combined the off-cuts from each sheet to make the third layer. The picture below shows the three Spidicules layers, the right-most layer being the split layer that I placed on the bottom. Note the a split layer can either be held together by the tub or a foam-core enclosure like I made (see the pictures from the original post). This means that instead of paying for 3 sheets of 18" x 20" ($37.50), I paid for 2 sheets 24" x 26" ($31.20). I did the same with the Dragon King. Whilst they're not the most massive savings, I'm always happier when I spend less!!