Salem» Forums » Rules

Subject: Thomas Danforth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zachery Hershberger
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
We had a little bit of debate over how to proper play this card.
It seems clear to me that it means to say that when Danforth plays a sixth accusation it is the final accusation and the accused flips a trial card. Basically, Danforth requires one less red X to seal the deal. The parenthetical statement "or the 7th" is accounting for the special ability of George Burroughs who requires 8 accusations before losing a trial card and Danforth can make a final accusation with the 7th. Or perhaps the parenthetical statement "or the 7th" is simply stating that placing a 7th accusation on a character will always result in a trial card being revealed per the game rules (Danforth's ability doesn't somehow prevent him from making final accusations normally). One could play that Danforth can reveal any other character's trial card on any sixth accusation, which would be two less than normally required for Burroughs.
It's a little ambiguous isn't it?

A friend of ours argued very strongly that Danforth ought to be able to reveal a trial card any time he makes a sixth accusation, but it wouldn't discard the accused's red cards in front of them like when normally resolving a final accusation. Instead, Danforth could reveal a trial on the sixth accusation and a following player could play the seventh on his turn and reveal yet another trial card.
Or table felt that interpretation was made Danforth very overpowered but our friend insisted my interpretation made Danforth's "the worst character ability in the game."
This was our second game of the night and the friend who had originally chosen Danforth ended up playing another character to avoid further argument.

Our troubles may have been exacerbated by some quirks in gameplay that we realized halfway through the night but stuck with when a couple people at the table said they liked them.
Each player draws two cards AND plays one, but only one, each turn. This seemed to make the deck deplete faster but also meant that as the round went on, we had many cards in our hand. We discarded any unused cards and shuffled the deck every time the night card on the bottom was revealed.
Our quirk of only playing one card per turn gave our friend an interesting interpretation on how Danforth's ability ought to play out.

Anyway, just sharing this to see if anyone else has had any trouble with interpretation of Danforth's ability.
Thanks,
Zd10-1d10-1d10-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped by my house for lunch, it's a simple game, and should be kept that way, I don't think cards stay in front at the 6th card with Thomas Danforth, when a tryal card is revealed all red cards are discarded, the only thing his ability does is allow him to accuse with one less card, and because you can play as many cards on your turn as you want you could accuse several with 5 accusation cards each by just adding one additional accusation card to cause multiple players to discard a tryal card.
If both Thomas and George are in play, then Thomas could cause him to lose a tryal card with 7 or 8 accusation cards, either way all cards are discarded when a player has to lose a tryal card.

Also you can either on your turn draw 2 cards or play as many cards as you want.

I'm sure the designer could confirm what I'm saying, it's a simple fun game and should stay that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Castellanos
msg tools
mb
WhoIsZachery wrote:
We had a little bit of debate over how to proper play this card.
It seems clear to me that it means to say that when Danforth plays a sixth accusation it is the final accusation and the accused flips a trial card. Basically, Danforth requires one less red X to seal the deal. The parenthetical statement "or the 7th" is accounting for the special ability of George Burroughs who requires 8 accusations before losing a trial card and Danforth can make a final accusation with the 7th. Or perhaps the parenthetical statement "or the 7th" is simply stating that placing a 7th accusation on a character will always result in a trial card being revealed per the game rules (Danforth's ability doesn't somehow prevent him from making final accusations normally). One could play that Danforth can reveal any other character's trial card on any sixth accusation, which would be two less than normally required for Burroughs.
It's a little ambiguous isn't it?

Yes, your interpretation is correct, your friend's would make him the most powerful character in the game, not that there are not other powerful characters. I had this same question and the designer answered it in this thread here. Another way of thinking of his power is that he can reveal Tryal cards in the normal way but in addition requires one less accusation to reveal a Tryal.

WhoIsZachery wrote:

Our troubles may have been exacerbated by some quirks in gameplay that we realized halfway through the night but stuck with when a couple people at the table said they liked them.
Each player draws two cards AND plays one, but only one, each turn..

Anyway, just sharing this to see if anyone else has had any trouble with interpretation of Danforth's ability.
Thanks,
Zd10-1d10-1d10-1

As already stated you can only either draw two cards on your turn or play as many as you like. Not both unless your character power allows it. Card hoarding was something I noticed in my group as well, if robbery and arson alone are not enough of a deterrent this thread had good ideas for green and blue cards to counteract it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hancock
United States
Springville
UT
flag msg tools
designer
Designer here.

This has been responded to correctly. Thomas Danforth may flip over someone's Tryal card if he plays the final accusation on that player. If a player has 5 accusations, when Thomas plays the 6th, that player loses a Tryal card. If a player already has 6 accusations when it becomes Thomas Danforth's turn, Thomas Danforth must play the 7th and final accusation to reveal that player's Tryal card.

Against George Burroughs, Thomas Danforth must play at least 7.

And yes, on your turn you may EITHER draw 2 cards OR play as many cards as you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.