Subject: Color blind friendly colors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to come up with 6 colors that are color blind friendly to represent 6 different player factions. Any suggestions? So far I've got:

Red (or Green, not both)
Blue (or Yellow, not both)
White
Black
Gray

So if this 5 is okay, I'm short of 1 color. But if there are any other color suggestions that's cool too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since colorblindness is a little different for each person, I'll share our experience. With my husband, it's best to avoid green. If it's too bright, he can't distinguish it from yellow; too dark and it looks like brown; too dull and it's grey. Most games, when available, he takes yellow and red is a second choice. As an additional color, he's good with purple as long as the blue is not too dark. If an orange and yellow are far enough apart on the spectrum, he's okay with that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Talley
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would encourage you to also look into using symbols. There are varying degrees of color blindness and it is almost impossible to account for all the variations.

I have had to mark up numerous games using alphabetic letters for my severely color blind friends. One of the worst was 3 Sind Eine Zu Viel. They used pastel colors. Unbelievable.

I think you are doing great job with your color combos. I added a link that might help as well.

http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/colorblind/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my research into video games, it's impossible to be colorblind friendly while still using colors. The best thing to do is focus on value over hue. Hue is the shade but value is the lightness in a color. If two colors of different hue but equal value are side by side it can confuse someone who can't distinguish between them. You want them to contrast e.g. having a dark yellow with a bright red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gamed with a few color blind people and they've all said yellow tends to be easy to identify. Not sure why, only one of them I've grilled them about it and he was red/green color blind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
There is no try
badge
There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force.
mbmbmbmbmb
My father is colorblind and he only plays Yellow. It's why I can't play it, because I won't move the pieces because "they are dads"

Another thing to think about is what color/background the pieces will be on. If things are too busy then the pieces get lost. I tried to teach him Memoir '44 without thinking using the base game pieces (dark green and bluish grey) on a bright green background. That didn't go over well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patterned Plaid - helps with various types of color blind players AND Canadians. Win/Win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
almond55 wrote:
I'm trying to come up with 6 colors that are color blind friendly to represent 6 different player factions. Any suggestions? So far I've got:

Red (or Green, not both)
Blue (or Yellow, not both)
White
Black
Gray

So if this 5 is okay, I'm short of 1 color. But if there are any other color suggestions that's cool too.

Green and gray aren't safe together (speaking as one who has deuteranopia).

I think bright, vibrant reds and semi=dark forest greens are safe so long as you don't have a brown or a black/gray that is near the same density as the color green. I have no idea why Blue and Yellow would not pair well together. In my experience, it is purple/violet/indigo and blue that should not be paired.

Safest colors in my opinion:
Bright Red
Bright Yellow
Bright Blue
Forest Green
Arctic White
Pitch Black
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
gradman2k3 wrote:
I would encourage you to also look into using symbols. There are varying degrees of color blindness and it is almost impossible to account for all the variations.

I have had to mark up numerous games using alphabetic letters for my severely color blind friends. One of the worst was 3 Sind Eine Zu Viel. They used pastel colors. Unbelievable.

I think you are doing great job with your color combos. I added a link that might help as well.

i definitely second that!
my card game still in the works, has 3 different colored cards used to create sets so what we are doing is putting a circle with the bg color and then on top of that we put a white logo representing the set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fouts
United States
San Martin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
For printed components, symbols are the way to go. For meeples and the like, sometimes symbols are not an option. I agree with the color selections above from my experience, but you can also use a color blind simulator if you want to try other combinations. I use this one:

http://www.etre.com/tools/colourblindsimulator/

Make sure to get exact pantone numbers from the manufacturer,along with a key PDF file. Paint doesn't come in every color you can perceive, but it does come in several hundred options.

Telling a manufacturer to make it "Forest Green" will result in a lot of variation from what you expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gradman2k3 wrote:

+1 for using symbols. My father and another friend I game with are color blind and both speak of how symbols in games really helps them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
SoundCity wrote:
gradman2k3 wrote:

+1 for using symbols. My father and another friend I game with are color blind and both speak of how symbols in games really helps them.

i would also look into shapes and sizes which relate more to tokens and board game plastic player markers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taela Sky
msg tools
You may want to take some tips from UI (user interface) design. The suggestion there is to always have both color and some sort of symbol,shape, or other identifying mark and if possible words.

As an example, for the card game I'm working on I have icons on the cards. I'm using shape to indicate different sets of icons, and then colors and a simple image to distinguish between the icons within a set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Houghton
United States
Platteville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
vwoommmmmm
badge
mbmbmbmb
Great question. Here's a resource I use for color picking: colorhexa.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schemaille
United States
N. Attleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm color-blind, myself. Not to an extreme, but I sometime have troubles with brown/green and blue/purple. Depending on the particular color shade, ambient lighting, etc., brown and green can be problematic for me. If you're familiar with Blink, the brown and green in that one are tough for me to distinguish at a glance. I can usually distinguish between blue and purple, but I really have to look closely. Qwirkle is tough, but manageable.

Because of this deficiency, I play yellow whenever possible. It's usually brighter and less ambiguous than any other color.

As for the colors you're working with for player factions, have you considered metallics or patterns? Silver's not going to be mistaken for grey or white if it's shiny enough; similarly, gold won't be mistaken for yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.