Subject: Why did it drop to 105 in the rankings? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know many people do not care about where a game is situated in the BGG rankings, and it definitely does not diminish my own appreciation of the game, but it saddens me to see that Legendary dropped from 102 to 105.

It might be just me, but I'd certainly see it as a top 100 game. Furthermore, many people who are new to the hobby are likely to be more inteested in the top 100 games, since these are deemed the most worthy of purchasing by the community.

What are your thoughts on this? Also, has it ever been in the top 100? I believe there's a feature of BGG that allows you to check this but I don't know how to find it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Ellis
msg tools
3 better games came out and caused it to move down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If by that you mean Imperial or Dungeon Petz then no
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been hovering right around #100 for the past couple of years. There are times it jumps up to around 95 and times when it falls to around 105 or so. But it's been solid at staying in that area - a lot of games before or after it have moved significantly in the rankings (both positively and negatively). I think this is a testament to UD being very successful at releasing new content that keeps the game fresh and unique, and helping to prevent gamers from getting burned out.

A lot of the problem Legendary suffers from is that the base set is "just okay" and that is what the ranking is for - the base set only. With expansions, this is easily currently my favorite game of all time. Without expansions, the base game doesn't come close to breaking my personal Top 10 - maybe not even my Top 20.

Unfortunately, expansions aren't included in BGG rankings unless they are able to be played on their own as standalone games without the base game.

That's one of the reasons that Alien is ranked higher than Marvel - they were able to improve on the base game system, and that improvement is reflected in the rankings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Locutus Zero
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Dungeon Petz new to the top 105? It's five years old. Pretty fun game. Never heard of Imperial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Ellis
msg tools
AdelinDumitru wrote:

I meant maybe there is an entirely new game that made it into the top 100 pushing everything else down 3 that was below it. I don't really pay attention to the list. Legendary is in my top 3 games (with expansions that is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LocutusZero wrote:
Is Dungeon Petz new to the top 105? It's five years old. Pretty fun game. Never heard of Imperial.

If you haven't heard of Imperial, you are missing out on a great game. It is much better than Legendary in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Capo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

People say Imperial and Dungeonpetz are better than Marvel Legendary, then they go play Marvel. Marvel Legendary has 62,938 games played so far. Thats almost five times more plays than Dungeonpetz (13,104) and Imperial (13,298), despite those 2 games having been around longer.

Dont worry Adelin, Marvel Legendary belongs in the top 100, is just that people want to be hipsters and dont say it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because it gets more plays, doesn't mean it is a better game. One of my most played games is We Didn't Playtest This at All and it wouldn't make my top 100 best games list by far. Legendary is much shorter and less complex than either of those other two games (not that Imperial is complex). It also has a popular theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive my ignorance, but what is this ranking based on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Waits
United States
Elizabethtown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there are almost 86000 games in the database. Rank 105 is incredible, and the scores that high are so close together they're bound to shift ranks often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Capo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
Just because it gets more plays, doesn't mean it is a better game. One of my most played games is We Didn't Playtest This at All and it wouldn't make my top 100 best games list by far. Legendary is much shorter and less complex than either of those other two games (not that Imperial is complex). It also has a popular theme.

Think long and hard why you play that game so much. Sometimes the love of our lives is right in front of us and we dont recognize it.

I saw a lot of great game designs in the top 100 that intellectually i have to agree are "better" games than Marvel. But playing them...ugh..not fun. Im going to play a quick fun game of Marvel then maybe open that Agricola rulebook again tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New games are coming out all the time. When a new game makes the top 100, that causes all the games below it to drop a spot. Within the past year, Pandemic Legacy, Star Wars: Rebellion, Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization, and Codenames were all released and each shot up to the top 20. It's no big deal. 105 is still very respectable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Capo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is this ranking based on?

Its based of the average ratings given by users that range from 1 to 10.

You can see the full list by selecting "Browse" then "Games" from the Boardgamegeek menu at top. You can see full stats for each game by selecting the game then selecting "Stats" from its menu. If you click in any of the numbered ratings on the graphics you will see short reviews of why each user gave a particular rating.

Reading the short reviews you will notice some real crazy stuff that make the rating undeserving. Like for example: one reviewer rated it a "5" because: "The game itself would be a 8 or 9 if it wasn't so easy. I played this multiple times with several groups and every time it was just way too easy. Maybe I missed something on how to make it harder, but being this easy, it just wasn't fun" . Thats a shame because the rulebook has official rules to increase the difficulty to an enjoyable level.

Another user rated it 5 because: "Enjoyable deck builder; the only downside is that it is very mechanical and sports virtually no theme other than some pretty pictures on the cards. The game itself is a lot of fun and the semi-coop aspect works very well". So he gave it an abysmal 5 of 10 because only one downside of it not being thematic, and of all else thats the best thing it got going for it. Its even ranked 34 in the thematic ranking list!

So you see the ratings are very subjective, and I prefer to go on how many people actually play the game and have fun with it. Assuming people play the more fun games more times, else it be a really crazy society.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is more than just the average ratings though. BGG has a formula where they take the average ratings and add a number of dummy ratings so that games that have been rated only a few times are not strongly affected by a few high or low scores. There are both the average rating and BGG rating. Te ranking is based on the BGG rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
I'm surprised that anybody is keeping track of that. It's #1 in my book!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weirdly enough, now it is no. 100 shake

So I guess my wish came true!

Now what should I wish for next..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I now enjoy Legendary exactly 5 places more than I did before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.