37.5% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

James Brown
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A gun range ruler, not in a turret arc, for all different kinds of weapons. This would be helpful for scenarios where you need to change the guns a plane has to a different one with different ranges, as there performance ruler would only have the one and it might not be the right one. Also if you are going to use the optional rules for expanded gun dice this would be handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never considered changing the gun range when using optional gun dice, but I see your point about that.

I just finished my I-16 and P-40 forces, as well as modified performance rulers for the Zero-5 and Stuka. I also have a surprise that I will spring on everyone with the second AAR I publish (I'm one behind).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nelson
msg tools
I've thought about that, also. A .50 machine gun would have the longest accurate range. A .30 tends to lose energy quickly. A major advantage of a cannon was the exploding round. Since the damage is caused by the explosion and not the kinetic impact, cannon rounds don't lose damage with range and velocity. However, most WWII-era 20mm cannons had a low velocity. That makes them difficult to hit a maneuvering aircraft, so they'd have a lower range when dealing with fighters, but a long range against bombers or ground targets.
I'd have to back it up with research. At present, a .30 is based on a 200 yard convergence zone. Although they could fly further, most planes armed with .30s would attack from 200 yards or closer. The .50s are set between 300 and 500 yards, depending on the fighter. The standard was 300 yards, but energy fighters such as the P-51 and P-47 would set convergence to 500 to 800 yards.

Along with this, there could be another set of optional rules for ammunition. Machine guns are pretty much unlimited; The average fighter carried about 30 seconds worth of machine gun ammo. Cannon ammunition could be as short as 12 seconds, so many pilots would delay using cannons until the target was very close, or if the target were a bomber or other non-maneuvering aircraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a lot of bookkeeping to do. Think of the cards Gabbi will have to design...

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brown
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
That sounds like a lot of bookkeeping to do. Think of the cards Gabbi will have to design...

shake

Are we going to get an October surprise from you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.