Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game wasn't even on my radar, then out of nowhere it is number one on The Hotness. Any idea why it made the jump that quickly? Looks like a cool game and it is definitely one I will be keeping an eye on, but nothing about it seemed to jump out as something to de-throne the mighty Scythe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sit up and shut down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwspiker wrote:
sit up and shut down.

Or Shut Up & Sit Down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElcG-_-gfxo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwspiker wrote:
sit up and shut down.

I think you meant Shut up & sit down. I would recommend checking it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shut Up & Sit Down
Dice Tower's Sam Healey
Jim Fitzpatrick
Matagot

I'm finding it hard to name one thing that this game doesn't have going for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Kruis
Netherlands
Pijnacker
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One day the Scythe hype will die down..... and as it seems Inis found a "hotness" gap with their unique art, minis on a map warlike game, but with that little different approach to make it stand out all of a sudden.

Shut up & Sit Down did an awesome job for it I guess ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dudes on an expanding map, with action drafting and multiple victory conditions? It cannot come soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a few rounds of this at Gen Con, and it really is deserving of the hotness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vince san
msg tools
Saw a review of Inis by Sam Healey first. I was interested in the game after that.

After Shut Up and Sit Down, I needed this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oshio wrote:
Any idea why it made the jump that quickly?

Most people are "sheep" being unable to find out about games by themselves, and tend to jump on bandwagons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanguy Serra
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm biased as I know the Matagot folks and played Inis in its late prototype stages and I really enjoy the massive political tension in each play and I LOVE the artwork from Jim Fitzpatrick - but I'm genuinely excited for this game to be successful - it's one of those overnight successes that took 10 years to build - well deserved success for Christian Martinez and the entire Matagot team - really happy to see authors and publishers get recognized for all their hard work -

It's hard to describe - it's got a bit of Twilight Struggle with event cards and area control and massive massive tension and where influence is very valuable and the territory of operations expands during the game, a bit of Cyclades/Kemet/Blood Rage with dudes and dudettes on the map positioning (but no auction mechanism and a map that changes and expands as more of the island is discovered when the expansion card is played each round), multiple victory conditions, clear Jedi mind tricks and interaction during play - the mechanism I really like is the subtle concept of presence but not control in a territory - and I love the epic tales/territory cards that add that special sauce - and finally the theme/artwork hits home hard with me -
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
moocifer wrote:
Most people are "sheep" being unable to find out about games by themselves, and tend to jump on bandwagons.
Call me crazy but this sounds a bit rude. What is the "correct" way to find out about a game?

There's nothing wrong with "finding" and following a new game because of a review of it. If a few people say "hey, this game sounds good", why wouldn't I check it out? That is after all why many of us subscribe to those YouTube channels and/or podcasts right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
moocifer wrote:
Call me crazy but this sounds a bit rude. What is the "correct" way to find out about a game?

There's nothing wrong with "finding" and following a new game because of a review of it. If a few people say "hey, this game sounds good", why wouldn't I check it out? That is after all why many of us subscribe to those YouTube channels and/or podcasts right?

In my experience, anytime you see someone snidely calling people sheep you should probably just ignore whatever nonsense they're spouting.

Also, I think Shut Up and Sit Down is directly responsible for this one jumping up the hotness so fast. I know I hadn't heard of it before their review, but I preordered it immediately after watching it. Honestly I'm surprised there wasn't already more hype for this one coming out of Gencon, it being the beautiful new game in the series of Matagot XL games and looking super fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:
Honestly I'm surprised there wasn't already more hype for this one coming out of Gencon, it being the beautiful new game in the series of Matagot XL games and looking super fun.
People were probably excited about it ~two years ago (I know I was). Then delays and silence. Then we got the news it will be released this year. "Well... lets see what it brings." - was my reaction.
I totally LOOOVE Cyclades and Kemet is a very solid game too, so I'm glad this looks great too. But years of waiting can kill the pre-release hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:
Shut Up & Sit Down
Dice Tower's Sam Healey
Jim Fitzpatrick
Matagot

I'm finding it hard to name one thing that this game doesn't have going for it.

Availability. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moocifer wrote:
Oshio wrote:

You know the psychic powers you use to find out about games aren't real, right?

Get some trifluoperazine in you and you'll notice all sorts of cool things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WAKE UP, SH MEEPLE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never said there was anything wrong with being a sheep. I was simply answering the question presented.

Perhaps those who took it the wrong way (and reported me) should take a good look at themselves ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke deWaal
Canada
flag msg tools
moocifer wrote:
Oshio wrote:

The only way to avoid bandwagons is to design your own board games from scratch using the inside of empty cereal boxes. Enjoy your update of Snakes and Ladders using cheerios as player tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moocifer wrote:
I never said there was anything wrong with being a sheep. I was simply answering the question presented.

Perhaps those who took it the wrong way (and reported me) should take a good look at themselves ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adorably sarcastic?

SUSD had a glowing review which put it on the radar but the draft and area majority thing was done by Blood Rage. Despite that this game looks sufficiently different from the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
moocifer wrote:

The correct way to find out about a game is to sit patiently at a local gaming store and read the back of whatever games they get in stock. Then buy and play the ones that look good.

Anything else is cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Espinoza wrote:
moocifer wrote:

The correct way to find out about a game is to sit patiently at a local gaming store and read the back of whatever games they get in stock. Then buy and play the ones that look good.

Anything else is cheating.

PFSH! Only stuffy intellectual elites read the backs of boxes. Real free thinking men buy games purely based on the picture on the front of the box, and sometimes they don't even look at that! Get a solid glance from the corner of your eye? That baby's coming home!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Depew
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moocifer wrote:

You're a (insert pathetic insult), not that I said there was anything wrong with being a (same pathetic insult). Perhaps if you think that's an insult that's just because you understand basic communication, think about that.

Also, unlike pathetic insults, this game seems both awesome and unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.