Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The listed play time on the bgg page is 20-45 minutes, which I must admit is a bit shorter then I would have liked. However, there are three game modes in the box, standard, epic, and alliance. I was curious what the general play time will be for each game mode. I'm especially wondering how long the alliance game will last.

Any info would be great. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this at Gencon and I think this games playtime will really depend on your game group also, will they spend a lot of time messing with other players extending game length or will your game group just play to get to game end trigger the fastest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
I think 20-45 minutes is accurate for the standard competitive game, as that is just a race to 16 XP. Epic and Alliance will take at least an hour since you are going all the way through to a boss fight, probably minimum of 1.5 hours with a full 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 or 3 players, I'm finding the games last around 30 minutes or even a little less. I played with 5 players, and it took more than an hour and a half with each player only getting 4 turns. That felt waaaaay too long. We fell victim to AP towards the end as some players weighed trying to eek out an extra point versus deny someone else a point or two, but the extra tiles (the stairs to the second floor came up late), extra cards in play, extra players and enemies to think about made everyone's turns longer than they have been in games with fewer players. Personally, I really like the quick play time for this type of game. There's some strategy and meaningful decisions, but there's a lot of randomness, push-your-luck and take-that. Not that this will always happen, but it was pretty boring to be solidly in last place for 45 minutes in a five player game with really no hope of coming back or affecting the outcome.

I'm really digging it, but I like it best with 3. I haven't tried it yet, but based on a few play throughs of the Alliance game, I think the Epic mode will add length and some chaos to the game. That could be good or bad depending on what kind of mood I'm in, but I haven't felt like any game was too short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, maybe somewhere around 10-15 minutes/player for the standard game?

Do you think the play length for the Alliance game is that player dependent since there is a set number of turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So, maybe somewhere around 10-15 minutes/player for the standard game?

Repeated plays will tell, but it could be that the length of each turn increases a bit as you add more players.

Quote:
Do you think the play length for the Alliance game is that player dependent since there is a set number of turns?

Yeah. There are only 21 turns to go around, so I think the Alliance game will tend to run the same length regardless of the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.