7,857 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not surprised at all.

Look Who’s Getting That Bank Settlement Cash
Tens of millions of dollars disguised as ‘consumer relief’ are going to liberal political groups.

Quote:
Imagine if the president of the United States forced America’s biggest banks to funnel hundreds of millions—and potentially billions—of dollars to the corporations and lobbyists who supported his agenda, all while calling it “Main Street Relief.” The public outcry would rightly be deafening. Yet the Obama administration has used a similar strategy to enrich its political allies, advance leftist pet projects, and protect its legacy—and hardly anyone has noticed.

The administration’s multiyear campaign against the banking industry has quietly steered money to organizations and politicians who are working to ensure liberal policy and political victories at every level of government. The conduit for this funding is the Residential Mortgage-Backed Securities Working Group, a coalition of federal and state regulators and prosecutors created in 2012 to “identify, investigate, and prosecute instances of wrongdoing” in the residential mortgage-backed securities market. In conjunction with the Justice Department, the RMBS Working Group has reached multibillion-dollar settlements with essentially every major bank in America.

The most recent came in April when the Justice Department announced a $5.1 billion settlement with Goldman Sachs. In February Morgan Stanley agreed to a $3.2 billion settlement. Previous targets were Citigroup ($7 billion), J.P. Morgan Chase ($13 billion), and Bank of America, which in 2014 reached the largest civil settlement in American history at $16.65 billion. Smaller deals with other banks have also been announced.

Combined, the banks must divert well over $11 billion into “consumer relief,” which is supposed to benefit homeowners harmed during the Great Recession. Yet it is unknown how much, if any, of the banks’ settlement money will find its way to individual homeowners. Instead, a substantial portion is allocated to private, nonprofit organizations drawn from a federally approved list. Some groups on the list—Catholic Charities, for instance—are relatively nonpolitical. Others—La Raza, the National Urban League, the National Community Reinvestment Coalition and more—are anything but.

This is a handout to the administration’s allies. Many of these groups engage in voter registration, community organizing and lobbying on liberal policy priorities at every level of government. They also provide grants to other liberal groups not eligible for payouts under the settlements. Thanks to the Obama administration, and the fungibility of money, the settlements’ beneficiaries can now devote hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars to these activities.

The settlements also give banks a financial incentive to fund these groups. Most of the deals give double credit or more against the settlement amount for every dollar in “donations.” Bank of America’s donation list—the only bank to disclose exactly where it sends its money—shows how this benefits liberal groups. The bank has so far given at least $1.15 million to the National Urban League, which counts as if it were $2.6 million against the bank’s settlement. Similarly, $1.5 million to La Raza takes $3.5 million off the total amount of “consumer relief” owed by the bank. There are scores of other examples.

Our analysis of over 80 beneficiaries from Bank of America’s settlement shows that they received, on average, more than 10% of their 2015 budgets from the bank. When other bank checks are added, the amount funneled to these organizations is guaranteed to rise. And the banks have multiple years to pay their total penalties, meaning some liberal interest groups can count on additional funding for years—and election cycles—to come.

As part of their “consumer relief” penalties, Bank of America and J.P. Morgan Chase must also pay a minimum $75 million to Community Development Financial Institutions—taxpayer-funded groups propped up by the Obama administration as an alternative to payday lenders. “Housing Counseling Agencies” also get at least $30 million. This essentially circumvents Congress’s recent decision to cut $43 million in federal funds routed to these groups through the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The politicians who negotiate the settlements as part of the RMBS Working Group have also directed money to their supporters and states. Illinois’s Democratic attorney general Lisa Madigan announced she had secured $22.5 million from February’s Morgan Stanley deal for her state’s debt-ridden pension funds—a blatant payout to public unions. The deals with J.P. Morgan Chase, Bank of America and Citigroup yielded a further $344 million for both “consumer relief” and direct payments to pension funds.

New York hit the jackpot too. Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, also a Democrat and chairman of the RMBS Working Group, arranged for Morgan Stanley to fork over $400 million to New York nonprofits and $150 million to the state.

Despite the best efforts of a few principled legislators late last year, Congress missed an opportunity to amend the Justice Department’s funding bill to stop further handouts. Lawmakers now have another opportunity as Congress enters budget negotiation for fiscal year 2017. Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R., Va.) introduced a bill in April that would prevent government officials from enforcing settlements that funnel money to third parties, and it needs to gain wider traction with his colleagues. The political shakedowns disguised as public service must end.

Well, this is what you get when you give control of the US Government over to a Community Organizer (aka, a "shakedown artist.") It's a lot easier to mau-mau the flak-catchers when you take the flak-catchers out of the equation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the part(s) I'm supposed to hate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
edgerunner76 wrote:
I don't see the part(s) I'm supposed to hate.

Apparently the Catholic Church is the only appropriate and "non-political" charity. Otherwise it's just a list of 501(c)(3)'s that all have to follow the same rules, but don't meet Drew's ideological purity test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Egads! The robber barons have been robbed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Quote:
The administration’s multiyear campaign against the banking industry

I thought Obama was in the pocket of the Big Banks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

You and everyone else will miss Obama no matter who wins in November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
but don't meet Drew's ideological purity test.

What does that mean?

That they don't make shit up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Not surprised at all.

Look Who’s Getting That Bank Settlement Cash
Tens of millions of dollars disguised as ‘consumer relief’ are going to liberal political groups.

Quote:
Imagine if the president of the United States forced America’s biggest banks to funnel hundreds of millions—and potentially billions—of dollars to the corporations and lobbyists who supported his agenda, all while calling it “Main Street Relief.” The public outcry would rightly be deafening. Yet the Obama administration has used a similar strategy to enrich its political allies, advance leftist pet projects, and protect its legacy—and hardly anyone has noticed.

The administration’s multiyear campaign against the banking industry has quietly steered money to organizations and politicians who are working to ensure liberal policy and political victories at every level of government. The conduit for this funding is the Residential Mortgage-Backed Securities Working Group, a coalition of federal and state regulators and prosecutors created in 2012 to “identify, investigate, and prosecute instances of wrongdoing” in the residential mortgage-backed securities market. In conjunction with the Justice Department, the RMBS Working Group has reached multibillion-dollar settlements with essentially every major bank in America.

The most recent came in April when the Justice Department announced a $5.1 billion settlement with Goldman Sachs. In February Morgan Stanley agreed to a $3.2 billion settlement. Previous targets were Citigroup ($7 billion), J.P. Morgan Chase ($13 billion), and Bank of America, which in 2014 reached the largest civil settlement in American history at $16.65 billion. Smaller deals with other banks have also been announced.

Combined, the banks must divert well over $11 billion into “consumer relief,” which is supposed to benefit homeowners harmed during the Great Recession. Yet it is unknown how much, if any, of the banks’ settlement money will find its way to individual homeowners. Instead, a substantial portion is allocated to private, nonprofit organizations drawn from a federally approved list. Some groups on the list—Catholic Charities, for instance—are relatively nonpolitical. Others—La Raza, the National Urban League, the National Community Reinvestment Coalition and more—are anything but.

This is a handout to the administration’s allies. Many of these groups engage in voter registration, community organizing and lobbying on liberal policy priorities at every level of government. They also provide grants to other liberal groups not eligible for payouts under the settlements. Thanks to the Obama administration, and the fungibility of money, the settlements’ beneficiaries can now devote hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars to these activities.

The settlements also give banks a financial incentive to fund these groups. Most of the deals give double credit or more against the settlement amount for every dollar in “donations.” Bank of America’s donation list—the only bank to disclose exactly where it sends its money—shows how this benefits liberal groups. The bank has so far given at least $1.15 million to the National Urban League, which counts as if it were $2.6 million against the bank’s settlement. Similarly, $1.5 million to La Raza takes $3.5 million off the total amount of “consumer relief” owed by the bank. There are scores of other examples.

Our analysis of over 80 beneficiaries from Bank of America’s settlement shows that they received, on average, more than 10% of their 2015 budgets from the bank. When other bank checks are added, the amount funneled to these organizations is guaranteed to rise. And the banks have multiple years to pay their total penalties, meaning some liberal interest groups can count on additional funding for years—and election cycles—to come.

As part of their “consumer relief” penalties, Bank of America and J.P. Morgan Chase must also pay a minimum $75 million to Community Development Financial Institutions—taxpayer-funded groups propped up by the Obama administration as an alternative to payday lenders. “Housing Counseling Agencies” also get at least $30 million. This essentially circumvents Congress’s recent decision to cut $43 million in federal funds routed to these groups through the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The politicians who negotiate the settlements as part of the RMBS Working Group have also directed money to their supporters and states. Illinois’s Democratic attorney general Lisa Madigan announced she had secured $22.5 million from February’s Morgan Stanley deal for her state’s debt-ridden pension funds—a blatant payout to public unions. The deals with J.P. Morgan Chase, Bank of America and Citigroup yielded a further $344 million for both “consumer relief” and direct payments to pension funds.

New York hit the jackpot too. Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, also a Democrat and chairman of the RMBS Working Group, arranged for Morgan Stanley to fork over $400 million to New York nonprofits and $150 million to the state.

Despite the best efforts of a few principled legislators late last year, Congress missed an opportunity to amend the Justice Department’s funding bill to stop further handouts. Lawmakers now have another opportunity as Congress enters budget negotiation for fiscal year 2017. Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R., Va.) introduced a bill in April that would prevent government officials from enforcing settlements that funnel money to third parties, and it needs to gain wider traction with his colleagues. The political shakedowns disguised as public service must end.

Well, this is what you get when you give control of the US Government over to a Community Organizer (aka, a "shakedown artist.") It's a lot easier to mau-mau the flak-catchers when you take the flak-catchers out of the equation.

Jesus Fucking Christ Drew... Did you seriously just use "mau-mau" as a verb in relation to Obama? I can't believe I'm saying this, but I thought you were (slightly) above that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
glundee1 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Jesus Fucking Christ Drew... Did you seriously just use "mau-mau" as a verb in relation to Obama? I can't believe I'm saying this, but I thought you were (slightly) above that.

Uh . . . it's a reference to a very well-known Tom Wolfe book, but I'm guessing you're either too young or too culturally illiterate to have picked that up.

Click the link above or start here, if you're interested: Radical Chic: That Party at Lenny’s.

Warning: you'll be time-traveling back in time almost 50 years.

Warning #2: It requires reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
glundee1 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Uh . . . it's a reference to a very well-known Tom Wolfe book, but I'm guessing you're either too young or too culturally illiterate to have picked that up.

Start here, if you're interested: Radical Chic: That Party at Lenny’s. Warning: you'll be time-traveling back almost 50 years.

And the title of that Tom Wolfe book is a reference to what? I'm guessing you're too historically ignorant and culturally insensitive to either understand the etymology of the term, or grasp how profoundly offensive your use of it in this context is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
glundee1 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
glundee1 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Start here, if you're interested: Radical Chic: That Party at Lenny’s. Warning: you'll be time-traveling back almost 50 years.

And the title of that Tom Wolfe book is a reference to what?

Like I said, it requires reading. Sorry if you're not up to it or need things spoon-fed to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
glundee1 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
glundee1 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Like I said, it requires reading. Sorry if you're not up to it or need things spoon-fed to you.

No, you misunderstand me. I already know what Wolfe's allusion is to. I'm saying that you (clearly) do not. By the way, it was racist when Wolfe first used it as a verb form too, so that's not really the defense I'd roll with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
glundee1 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
glundee1 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
glundee1 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

No, you misunderstand me. I already know what Wolfe's allusion is to. I'm saying that you (clearly) do not. By the way, it was racist when Wolfe first used it as a verb form too, so that's not really the defense I'd roll with.

Ah, shaddup you ignoramus. You really don't know a damn thing, and now you're just blustering your way forward hoping for an assist from Whitey Whitesplainer.

Read the fucking book before you start crying racist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
glundee1 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
glundee1 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
glundee1 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Ah, shaddup you ignoramus. You really don't know a damn thing, and now you're just blustering your way forward hoping for an assist from Whitey Whitesplainer.

Read the fucking book before you start crying racist.

Ok, you're going to play dense.

You and Wolfe both deployed the term Mau-mau (a reference to anti-colonial insurgency by the Gikuyu in Kenya) to refer to black Americans- Obama and the Black Panthers, respectively, intimidating white people as "shakedown artists." This is the standard, racist usage of this term, which has been deployed against Obama quite frequently in the right-wing fever swamp you inhabit.

Joyce Bell, chair of Sociology at U of Minnesota writes:

Quote:
The Black Power Movement and American Social Work, p. 164

The use of the phrase “Mau-Mauing” is particularly symbolic. While the
exact origin of the term “Mau Mau” is debated, it is generally used to refer to the Kikuyu people in Kenya who led an uprising against British imperialism between 1952 and i960. The Mau Mau were painted by the British as a violent and brutal threat to whites and became an international symbol of black anti-imperialism. This symbolism certainly resonated with segments of the American Black Power movement. For instance, several black soldiers returning from service in the Vietnam War formed a radical organization called De Mau Mau, equating their struggle to the anticolonial struggles throughout Africa (Horne 2009).

The term “Mau-Mauing,” however, became widely understood as the
strategic use of black anger to induce white reactions, and was popularly used to indicate a belief that black radicals were manipulating white fear as a con or hustle of sorts. In an atmosphere of heightened white fear of African Americans, this snarky term was intended to capture the emotional dynamic between Black Power advocates and white liberals, and served as an implicit indictment of both. However, how one views this dynamic is a matter of perspective.

Certainly, expressions of anger are a common feature of social move-
ments. However, the racial dynamic of these particular sorts of displays
complicates our understanding of them. For one, the notion of Mau Mau-ing, or to blame black activists of Mau Mauing, shifts the focus from white racism (even in its liberal forms) to black anger. This focus on black anger relies on specific racist tropes that paint both black men and women as unreasonably angry, dangerous, and violent while simultaneously depicting the white parties involved as innocent victims of black indignation rather than as active participants in liberal racism. Because these themes are all too common in American racism, discussions of emotion in race-based social movements cannot be race-neutral (see Feagin 2010, and Feagin and Harvey-Wingfield 2010 for a related analysis). Instead, these sorts of interactions have to be viewed in context.

Edited to add- the formatting errors/typos in the above quote are the fault of my OCR software converting my scanned pdf, not in the original
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
What the hell ever. If you can't handle seeing a reference to a famous, 50 year old essay on race relations and white guilt, you probably can't handle life in general. I suggest closing your browser and going to bed. Suck your thumb if it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
What the hell ever. If you can't handle seeing a reference to a famous, 50 year old essay on race relations and white guilt, you probably can't handle life in general. I suggest closing your browser and going to bed. Suck your thumb if it helps.

Drew be bad Cracker, show his Whitebread Peckerwood parts. Glundee say so and everybody must believe Glundee because Glundee hate hisself for being Peckerwood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Drew be bad Cracker, show his Whitebread Peckerwood parts. Glundee say so and everybody must believe Glundee because Glundee hate hisself for being Peckerwood.

White Knight to save the princess again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that the few groups mentioned are battling class warfare. When the Banks blew up, their shitball rolled down hill and splatted on the poor. It seems logical to direct money to the organizations that attempt to provide opportunity, tools and education so that everyone can succeed in the American dream. Just looking at the websites for the National Urban League and the National Community Reinvestment Coalition I'd say the bulk of their work was in that context. If they encourage the poor to be politically active also, that is fine. You can't complain about injustice in your treatment if you aren't active in trying to fix it.

Having said that, I see millions mentioned in this context and as for the billions, I think the author himself says it best:
Quote:
Yet it is unknown how much, if any, of the banks’ settlement money will find its way to individual homeowners.

Try to be a journalist buddy and find out the whole story before you open your mouth and possibly look the fool later. Or maybe he already knows the real numbers, but would rather obfuscate those facts to make his partisan point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
But it's really just another good example of how those in power in Washington have the ability to direct cold hard cash to favored groups. Why is La Raza getting money for "consumer relief" that's supposed to go be going to individual homeowners affected by the recession?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
But it's really just another good example of how those in power in Washington have the ability to direct cold hard cash to favored groups. Why is La Raza getting money for "consumer relief" that's supposed to go be going to individual homeowners affected by the recession?
Maybe for the same reason that catholic organizations do, they have the facilities in place to distribute it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

White Knight to save the princess again!

In blackface, no less. Way to keep it classy, Tripp!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I get a paywall.

Presumably disbursement of settlement monies from big fraud type actions fall into a grey area without legislation directing where they go. You could always pass a law or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
DWTripp wrote:

laughlaughlaugh Jar-Jar Tripp!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.