6,611 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Ali B

California
msg tools
mbmb
There's something I've been wondering about as I've been painting through my board game collection, and that's the value I ought to place on card/box art vs my own "artistic license" with the miniatures. For some games, such as Star Wars: Imperial Assault, I stuck pretty true to the card art, supplementing with stills from the Star Wars movies when I wasn't sure how to do a detail. Did more or less the same while painting Shadows over Camelot, although I started being more creative with the Picts and Saxons in that game.

And then, I got to Mansions of Madness. So far, I've only finished painting the investigators from first edition, second edition, and Call of the Wild. But as I was doing so, I noticed that nearly every single character, at least following card art, was white. Also, about 2/3 of the men were wearing brown suits. I wasn't terribly happy or comfortable with either for these things. Clothes were easy to modify into different colors, but the skin tone thing bugged me quite a bit. In the end, I looked at the backstories of all the investigators, decided which ones made the most sense coming from a non-Caucasian background, and adjusted the skin tones accordingly.

I'm happy with the decision and the result. But I'm curious: if you paint miniatures in your games, do you follow the card art? Do you ignore it entirely and paint figures the way you picture them in your head? Am I overthinking the whole representation thing here?

(Also, apologies if this is something that's been discussed previously, or if this thread is in totally the wrong place; if either is true, I'd appreciate a point in the right direction, as I'm fairly new to BGG. Thanks!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone other than yourself is going to be playing the game, matching the card art makes it easier for them to keep track of which mini is their character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Imperial Assault I try to keep the overall original theme/scheme, but I have started to use alternative color schemes for the different groups (like blue Wing Guard group and a green Wing Guard group).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali B

California
msg tools
mbmb
jbrecken wrote:
If someone other than yourself is going to be playing the game, matching the card art makes it easier for them to keep track of which mini is their character.

That's a good consideration, although not sure how big a concern it is for the games I've been working on painting. All of the player miniatures are sculpted differently, both from each other and from the card art, so we've found it was more difficult to figure out whose character was whose when they were unpainted, and thus looked more alike. Still, something to keep in mind, for sure.

a1bert wrote:
In Imperial Assault I try to keep the overall original theme/scheme, but I have started to use alternative color schemes for the different groups (like blue Wing Guard group and a green Wing Guard group).

That's a neat way of doing it! For our set, we ended up just painting the bases to keep groups separate. Example: there's three sets of stormtroopers, one elite and two regular. One set has black bases, one has purple bases, and the elites have red bases. Each trooper also has 1, 2, or 3 tick marks on the base in white, to help us keep track of different individuals in the groups. It's been working well enough, but I can see advantages of having the colors incorporated into the figures as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
geoanomaly wrote:
For our set, we ended up just painting the bases to keep groups separate.

I use that too, with sand glued into the base and then painted/washed to grey, sand, red (for elites). Rebel heroes have grey, allies sand, elites red again. Some mercenaries and a few other have green, and one Probe Droid, Echo Base Troopers, and Leia have white bases. I also converted one HK Assassin Droid and the fourth Stormtrooper group to white bases.

Should take some pictures of the newer ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm painting Descent 2E with all expansions and lieutenants.

I almost always choose custom color schemes. Some characters end up similar, but most of them are quite unique.

My best so far was painting Tomble as a leprechaun, although my skills were still fairly poor when I painted him.

I have yet to drastically change any skin tones, but I will if it suits me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.