Hide
14 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Is 1:35 too big a scale for SoB? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Caine
msg tools
Trederra features crew-served weaponry. I've been looking around for models to either press directly into service or do a bit of kustomisin' and I've found some fairly good picks... but they're all 1:35 scale. Is that going to be too big for SoB?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
They'd probably look a bit on the big side. However the accuracy of scales listed on packaging can often be somewhat questionable. The best way to figure it out is to find pictures online of the weapon next to something you know the real size of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
28 mm is roughly 1/58.
30 mm is roughly 1/54.

Sob minis are roughly 30 mm.
So I'd think you want a scale near 1/54
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
Cheers guys. Well, I am damned if I can find suitable miniatures then. They're either too big or too small. 40K's Death Korps of Krieg is close enough so I may very well have to bite the bullet and buy me some expensive geedubbyah minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maximillian_Caine wrote:
Cheers guys. Well, I am damned if I can find suitable miniatures then. They're either too big or too small. 40K's Death Korps of Krieg is close enough so I may very well have to bite the bullet and buy me some expensive geedubbyah minis.

1ed Malifaux metal minis works fine with SOB. Don't know about 2ed plastic minis though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With stuff like large weapons, vehicles, etc. scale tends to be much more forgiving than human models.

For example, 1:44 vehicles look good with 28mm-32mm minis. See Zombicide for many, many examples of 1:44 with minis. 1:54 is the right scale, but with the bases it visually looks small.

Here's a useful post by crazybyzantine. The smaller mini is 32mm.
crazybyzantine wrote:
Here's what I ended up getting, with a Clix Halo Marine (1 3/4" tall) and a more contemporary Agent X (1 3/8" tall) for reference:

The white one is a Jada Toy Just Trucks bought at Toys 'R' Us, marked 1:33.

The black one is a Top Mark Light+Sound Collection bought at Hobby Town USA, marked 1:38.

The red one is a Uni-fortune RMZ City Matte Collection bought at a Publix Supermarket, scale not marked but website says it's 1:33. Looks a bit big for Agent X but perfectly sized for the Marine.

The 2 motorcycles are Hot Wheels from Toys 'R' Us (they apparently scale these up - found a web site where someone uses their cycles with 40K customs).

My local BJ's (a discount club warehouse), Hobby Lobby and CVS all had some diecast lines with awesome variety but way too big and more than I wanted to pay even if they were right size.

Non-human creatures tend to be forgiving on scale as well. If they're a little big... well, I guess the Trederrans could dabble in genetic modification to create super-soldiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim DuPertuis

California
msg tools
mb
Weapons in 28-30mm "scale" are generally grossly oversized, so 1/35 scale weapons can work or even be too small. Which specific weapons are you looking at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
Well, I was looking at this. That would be just perfect - the Trederran machine gun looks like it's based on the .50 cal so it'd probably only need a few tweaks. I found out that 1:48 is mostly the scale for model airplanes. So I can find things like this. To make that work, I'd have to make a machine gun nest. I'm not that good at modelling (used to be back in my 40k days, but that was a loooong while ago) Urban Construct could help me out there and I could make different nests and pits for the various crew-served weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim DuPertuis

California
msg tools
mb
I don't have Trederra yet, but the cards list shows the following guns:

DSC-4 Light Machine Gun
Dark Stone Laser Destroyer
Maximus Heavy Machine Gun

I am only finding pics for the Dark Stone Laser Destroyer, which is a German WWI MG08 with a modified barrel. Here is a 1/35th scale kit: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...:g:8A4AAOSw14xWLlAd

A pic of the card, especially if it shows the crew would be helpful in establishing scale.

1/48th MGs would probably be too small, but if you think they would work, there are these: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...:g:G-YAAOSwYshUZ6Zo

Many 1/35th US military model kits come with a .50 cal MG and there are options on ebay from cheap: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...:g:ex0AAOSwGvhT9UYc

to more expensive: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...:g:~zsAAOSwWZ9XoXCi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Robot has some heavy weapons too, although these look a bit Sci-Fi:

https://madrobotminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
timdp wrote:
I don't have Trederra yet, but the cards list shows the following guns:

A pic of the card, especially if it shows the crew would be helpful in establishing scale.

Thanks for the links both of you! But are we allowed to post pics like that? I mean, I could scan the card and just cut out the pic so it's only the pic, but isn't that breaching BGG's TOS or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
I mean, it's an alien world with alien technology, no reason to think that their manufacturing process is to the same standards as ours was at that time. Guns a little bigger than what we would have made? It doesn't sound out of place, it sounds AWESOME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
Well, the pics don't show the crew, but I clearly can't tell the difference between WWI and WWII weapons. The Maximus HMG looks like a blend of Vickers and Maxim machine gun with a sheathed rather than round barrel. The LMG has the barrel and stock of a MG/085 and the trigger/firing mechanism of a hotchkiss. The Shockwave Gun is probably the only weapon which doesn't have a ready reference - it looks.. well.. the first thing that came to mind was "plasma gun" but it isn't. Then I remember Dr Grodborts Infallible Ether Oscillators, it's a bit like the 4th Law but again, it isn't. It's a pretty original design - I haven't found anything like it so far.

You know, Trederra is BEGGING for more Weird World War stuff - there's only a barest hint of it, but you know it's there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim DuPertuis

California
msg tools
mb
Maximillian_Caine wrote:

Thanks for the links both of you! But are we allowed to post pics like that? I mean, I could scan the card and just cut out the pic so it's only the pic, but isn't that breaching BGG's TOS or something?

There are plenty of pics of full cards in the 611 photos posted for City of Ancients. If you leave out the stats and just post the weapon pics I can't imagine that it would be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.