$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Pax Renaissance» Forums » Rules

Subject: Who gets the Florin if a concession is repressed during a Tax operation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The owner of the Concession targeted by a Tax operation can choose to either pay one Florin to China or repress the Concession (and after either choice, then place a Levy). The Glossary explains that "if you repress as the result of a repress op (F5), you gain 1 Florin." Who is "you" in this situation? The owner of the Concession who chose to repress it or the person who initiated the Tax operation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tax Op forces your victim to pay a florin to China/bank. You're influencing an empire to tax your opponent.

Repress Op is slavery. You enslave a token, and sell them for money. You, the Op-user, gain the florin,not the victim of your Op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still confusing what is going on thematically. I'm a banker (Medici Bank of Florence). Say I have influence with the Grand Inquisitor (the card is in my tableau) and I want to use his Tax op. And say I want to target a concession owned by a rival bank: the Fugger Bank of Augsburg. I think I am influencing the Grand Inquisitor to engage in a Tax-like operation against my rival bank.

The result is the Fuggers either send money to China so their concessions can remain (why?) OR they sell the merchants represented by their concession into slavery and give the money to me? (why would I get the money, thematically?)

And this also results in the rising up of another ruling class token? Thematically, why does the tax operation result in the emergence of a new noble or a new armored cavalry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
The owner of the Concession targeted by a Tax operation can choose to either pay one Florin to China or repress the Concession (and after either choice, then place a Levy). The Glossary explains that "if you repress as the result of a repress op (F5), you gain 1 Florin." Who is "you" in this situation? The owner of the Concession who chose to repress it or the person who initiated the Tax operation?

As stated, if you repress as the result of a repress op (F5), you gain 1 Florin. This means that if you repress as the result of a tax op (F4), you do NOT gain a florin. The taxes are instead used by the king to produce a levy for the empire.

Repressing can also cost money, as the preceding sentence in the glossary under Repress states: "If you repress as a result of Agent placement (E2.2), the cost is 1 Florin."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
As stated, if you repress as the result of a repress op (F5), you gain 1 Florin. This means that if you repress as the result of a tax op (F4), you do NOT gain a florin.

Ah! That is a subtle, but important distinction I had missed. It was very easy to slide right over the word "op" in the glossary entry for Repress and think it was saying you gain 1 Florin if you repress as the result of a repress (action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
phileklund wrote:
As stated, if you repress as the result of a repress op (F5), you gain 1 Florin. This means that if you repress as the result of a tax op (F4), you do NOT gain a florin.

Ah! That is a subtle, but important distinction I had missed. It was very easy to slide right over the word "op" in the glossary entry for Repress and think it was saying you gain 1 Florin if you repress as the result of a repress (action).

I added a phrase in the living rules so this is not so easy to miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.