Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so if you have played Scythe you know the player boards how they are like 2 on top each other with the indents for the figures to sit in. A game idea I am working on would benefit greatly from that type of board but on a much larger scale. It would be a 10x10 board and the openings would be just slightly larger than Bridge Card Sized. The point would be to lay cards into these cuts so they sink down a bit, but I am not sure the best way to create that. I was thinking Foam Core glued to cardboard but then I wondered how that would hold up. Any thoughts on how to make a homemade dual compression board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I've thought about the same for the character board (sheet) for my dungeon crawler; an easy way to track progression.

The cheap version would be to just make the indentations holes. As long as you don't lift the card from the table surface, it is functionally identical.

For the fancy version you'd have to glue together two boards. Foam core should work well for home brew and prototypes, no idea how expensive it is to do that for retail.

The problem I see with both solutions that it is easy to knock off the cubes. Probably not that different from having cards, tokens etc. on boards, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dany Aditya
Indonesia
Jakarta Selatan
JKT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to have a better appearance/precision cut, probably you want to consider using laser cutting services. I believe there are ones who accept small to no quantity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
dakukuc wrote:
If you want to have a better appearance/precision cut, probably you want to consider using laser cutting services. I believe there are ones who accept small to no quantity.

I can offer my services that cut no quantity for a cheap setup price of 100 EUR. PM me for details. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark w

Missouri
msg tools
You might use something like the punchout chits from the gamecrafter print your design on the chits then reskin the punchout board to create a playmat.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/publish/product/MediumSquareC...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.