Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone ever consider what theme songs a particular wargame or wargame system should have?

I propose A Journey To The Line from The Thin Red Line for ASL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG9-j3eevL4

Burn by Neurosis from the Eye of Every Storm album for Guderian's Blitzkrieg II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO7qCXKW6wQ&list=PLcWTmZIlCn...

and
Hanson MMMBOP for Tide (Tired) of Iron. Sorry but i have no love for this game and no i won't provide a link to the song.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Machine Gun by Jimi Hendrix, from the Band of Gypsies album, for any Viet Nam game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JASONMKRUSE wrote:
Anyone ever consider what theme songs a particular wargame or wargame system should have?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one wargame out there that actually HAS its own theme song:

Ogre

You can download the song for free and use it when you play:

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ogre-main-theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not for me, but I suspect my opponents hear circus music when I'm puzzling over my next move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Meh, the music would drown out all my pew-pew sounds and the little screams of your cardboard counters as I put them in their little piles. Piles of pew-pew pwnage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenarios in Downtown: Air War Over Hanoi, 1965-1972 were named after songs from that era. Pretty sure I've mentioned that in previous threads on the subject...

Started to search, and guess who started the first wargame soundtrack thread that popped up: Wargame soundtracks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing Empire of the Sun last weekend when Chip invaded Rabaul the Richard Rodgers track, "Rings Around Rabaul", from Victory at Sea, popped into my head. Been whistling it ever since.

I always think of the Victory at Sea music when I play a WWII PTO grand strategy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How could anyone forget Blood for the Blood God by Sabbat?

To enjoy it try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8mEOiI4pjs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no better song for any game involving certain WW2 German fighters than this:

And for any WW2 East Front game, we turn to Al Stewart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

One of my historical tabletop buddies is big on period music. From Napoleonic to the soundtrack of A Bridge Too Far - Though I never bother, I must admit it does add something to the game.

1812 Ouverture playing in my head right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have to confess that where the eastern front is concerned David Bowie's "Warsawa" from his "Low" album, "Saturdays In Silesia" by Rational Youth and the Korgis' "Young and Russian" often come to mind.

I don't seem to be able to get beyond the 1980s but I do like where this thread is headed. A thumbs up from me for mentioning Al Stewart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosecrans man
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any games from the PTO: The Pacific soundtrack

Games involving paradrops: The soundtrack from Band of Brothers (including the lyrical version sung by the beautiful Katherine Jenkins)

Last Blitzkrieg: Closing theme from The Battle of the Bulge

Day of Days: Theme from The Longest Day

Beyond the Rhine: a mix of Combat, themes from Patton, A Bridge Too Far

ETO aerial games: if playing Battle of Britain games, then the theme from the movie; beyond that, the theme from the series 12 O'clock High

DAK, Afrika, etc: Theme from the Rat Patrol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed when this topic shows up that nobody who plays the Germans on the eastern front during the Second World War ever picked the Beatles 'Back in the USSR'...
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
Not for me, but I suspect my opponents hear circus music when I'm puzzling over my next move.

I always figured it was the Benny Hill theme song when I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Songs and their Wargames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will list it here instead of the one mentioned above as I am pretty sure I don't know how to add a YouTube link, but any Viet Nam game makes me think of Camouflage by Stan Ridgeway. I gather it has been covered since but I don't want to hear about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One must listen to Wagner when playing the Germans in WWII...or if playing a game on Vietnam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Molon Labe wrote:
One must listen to Wagner when playing the Germans in WWII...or if playing a game on Vietnam.

Sure, Ride of the Valkyries is great for a Vietnam game, but I think few things are better for a Barbarossa campaign game than Shostakovich's 7th symphony.

Other good options are some of the folk collections out there. I have a collection of songs of American soldiers from Vietnam. My favorite is about an exchange between "Green Beret" and "Friendly FAC". I also have a great song collection called Partisans of Vilna. Talk about authenticity! These are songs sung by the participants of both wars!

Finally, I must mention that my sister's husband with his encyclopedic knowledge of WWII inevitably digs up a YouTube video of songs like Panzerlied in German or Song of the Volga in Russian when I game something like No Retreat Russian Front with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I have to admit putting on the Ken Burns Civil War soundtrack while setting up TUSCW for the first time. Also just watching the Pacific again so listening to that excellent soundtrack once more. However when I am actually playing a game I prefer no music. If I was to listen to anything it would have to be something very quiet in the background that I will pay zero attention to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.