$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 55.96

4,081 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
25.7% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Hugh Jorgan
msg tools

I've heard people compare KD to Monster Hunter (haven't played it).
Regarding the gameplay, and art style, I'm seeing similarities between KD and the Manga/Anima series Gantz.

This is the basic plot of Gantz, no real spoilers I'd say but just in case
you're really sensitive, I'll hide it...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
A couple of people die and wake up in a strange room. In this room is a sphere, telling them they are dead. Some text appears on the ball telling them they are dead and trapped. They are sent to hunt and kill a monster, depending on their performance in the fight and if they survived, each person is awarded points. These points may be used to buy weapons/gear for fighting or their freedom (100 points can be used to resurrect someone who has died or free yourself and go back to your life). Whoever survives the fight is rewarded points and returns to their life only to resume their trials the following evening, until such point that they are killed or gain enough points to save themselves.

The Settlement, Hunt and Showdown phase has a very similar structure to
Gantz, even the art style is similar. Have a look at some of the Gantz monsters.

I'm not saying AP ripped it off, since it's clear that he drew inspiration from many different sources to make something completely unique.

So, what does KD remind you off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I always thought the Dragon King was similar to Gurren Lagann's Enki mecha. Maybe it's just the circular headcrest and face in its chest, but we've got the pseudo- Kamina as a Messenger already... wouldn't put it past Poots.

The Fighter pinup/class figure has a background similar to Blade of the Immortal, with a warrior whose blood has been replaced with worms that sew the owner back together.

I think the consensus on the Messengers were that they were influenced by the following-

Courage- Zelda
Humanity- Berserk's Guts
First Story- Chrono Trigger's Ayla
Spiral Path- Gurren Lagann's Kamina

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Berserk FOR SURE. There's even a giant 2h sword called the Dragonslayer. The Gorm even looks like a background Apostle, all of which is great Berserk is awesome and I'd strongly suggest anyone who likes this game to read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I draw similarities from Suda 51's Shadows of the Damned which does not follow a similar story at all but contains some pretty messed up monsters with rather sexual features. In particular the gorm looks like it could be right out of there. It is what attracted me to KD in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Sutherland
United States
Union City
Michigan
flag msg tools
Llez wrote:
Berserk FOR SURE. There's even a giant 2h sword called the Dragonslayer. The Gorm even looks like a background Apostle, all of which is great Berserk is awesome and I'd strongly suggest anyone who likes this game to read it.

Was absolutely coming here to say this. Berserk, Berserk, Berserk. There's so many references to the series scattered throughout Kingdom Death: Monster that there's no way it wasn't one of his main inspirations. As you said, there's the Dragonslayer greatsword which is almost identical to Guts' (the main character of Berserk), then the setting itself is another one. Without going into much detail to avoid spoilers, there's an event called the Eclipse, where characters end up getting transported to this eternally-dark nightmare realm where the entire ground is made of carved stone faces... Ring any bells?

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/berserk/images/7/79/Ecli...

But there's even more. The Lucky Charm gear card is very similar to the Behelit, a magical artifact in Berserk that has a very important role in the storyline.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/berserk/images/a/a8/Behe...

And finally, this one may just be me seeing it and not an actual reference, but if you look at the little artwork at the top the Butcher's "Infectious Lunacy" card, which drives survivors insane/berserk/frenzied, the survivor pictured looks a bit like Guts when he goes into his blind rampages during a battle. Compare that artwork on the card to this picture of Guts.

http://static1.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11112/11112080...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam also said he gets a lot of his inspiration from nature. A lot of his monsters are very perverse distortions of animals from our everyday Earth. Each monster has a human element thrown in for creepiness measure or to serve a philosophical undertone/allegory. Reader/player's choice. A good example is the Sunstalker. Its like an octopus and shark merged together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Careful, telling the hivemind what you think KDM reminds you of can apparently offend some people and get your thread yanked by admins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Careful, telling the hivemind what you think KDM reminds you of can apparently offend some people and get your thread yanked by admins.

??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm reminded of the "Bowels of Gluttony" from Full Metal Alchemist.

Also, Envy could easily be turned into a KDM monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.