Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I've seen this one a lot: Spidicules replaces the Antelope, but doesn't give as much as it takes away (Barber Surgeon + Cooking). So, let’s integrate it a bit more:

Barber Surgeon: Spidicules resources can stand in for Antelope resources.
First Aid Kit: No changes.
Brain Mint: 1x Eyeballs
Elder Earrings: 1x Scrap, 1x Small/Large Appendages
Musk Bomb: No changes.
Scavenger Kit: 1x Scrap, 1x 1x Small/Large Appendages
Bug Trap: 1x Spinnerets, 2x Bone
Speed Powder: 1x Arachnid Heart, 2x Organ
Almanac: No changes.

Cooking:
Shank Bone - Small/Large Appendages
Bladder - Stomach
Beast Steak - Unlaid Eggs or Eyeballs

I know it's still not the same (the probability is a bit off), but it's a start. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Another, expanded, idea might be creating a "Meat Peddler" Settlement Location that could convert one type of resouce into another (not just Spidicules -> Antelope). I know this might be overpowered, so there would have to be a strict 'downgrade' conversion only rule, i.e. you could convert only from a more difficult monster into a less difficult (you could convert Phoenix resources into White Lion's, but not the other way round).

The conversions would be specific, i.e. stomach -> bladder (not Spidicules into Antelope) and the conversion could cost 1 resource (regardless of the number of conversions).

Maybe the Meat Peddler would only show up after a Level 2 hunt? That would deal with my biggest gripe with the game, the quarry type/level dilemma.

Again, would love to hear what you think.

As a sidenote, maybe someone (Krzysztof RabidBlackDog, I'm looking at you! ) could create alternate Barber Surgeon and Cooking location/card for print and play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mockerre wrote:
I've seen this one a lot: Spidicules replaces the Antelope, but doesn't give as much as it takes away (Barber Surgeon + Cooking). So, let’s integrate it a bit more:

Barber Surgeon: Spidicules resources can stand in for Antelope resources.
First Aid Kit: No changes.
Brain Mint: 1x Eyeballs
Elder Earrings: 1x Scrap, 1x Small/Large Appendages
Musk Bomb: No changes.
Scavenger Kit: 1x Scrap, 1x 1x Small/Large Appendages
Bug Trap: 1x Spinnerets, 2x Bone
Speed Powder: 1x Arachnid Heart, 2x Organ
Almanac: No changes.

Cooking:
Shank Bone - Small/Large Appendages
Bladder - Stomach
Beast Steak - Unlaid Eggs or Eyeballs

I know it's still not the same (the probability is a bit off), but it's a start. What do you think?

After recently playing through a (almost certainly doomed) campaign that used every expansion (including the Gen Con campaign stuff) I was surprised by how much Spidicules blocks. Not only does it block Barber Surgeon + Cooking, but it blocks access to quite a bit in the Slenderman and Lion Knight expansions as well.

I really like your idea of doing a 1 to 1 resource replacement. I'm not looking at the resource decks right now, but are the probabilities off in favor of the Spidicules?

If they are harder to get with Spidicules I think it's a fair trade, if they are easier to get, the balance of having much less access to Acanthus might even it out in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I've read your report, it was one of the reasons ('the last straw' ) to make this thread.

The probability is slightly off in favor of Spidicules, as there are 14 resources in the deck (compared to 16 for the Antelope). I've replaced both Shank Bones and Pelt with Appendages, so on one hand it will be easier to build Earrings or Scavenger Kit, but more difficult to build them both.

All in all, I think this needs tinkering, but it's a start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I laid out all of the resources from both decks side by side and tried to match things 1-1. It's not perfect, but I think it might be 'enough' to make the Spidicules usable/compatible with the things it would normally block.

What do you think?

Edit: I got a response from Adam about this and the things made unobtainable from the core game with the inclusion of Spidicules are intentionally part of the design.

I did ask about the Lion Knight and Slenderman incompatibilities with Spidicules, but knowing that it was intentional for the base game is enough that I'm not going to worry about trying to get 1 to 1 replacements locked down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
NerdyRaptor wrote:

Edit: I got a response from Adam about this and the things made unobtainable from the core game with the inclusion of Spidicules are intentionally part of the design.

I did ask about the Lion Knight and Slenderman incompatibilities with Spidicules, but knowing that it was intentional for the base game is enough that I'm not going to worry about trying to get 1 to 1 replacements locked down.

I appreciate him responding, but would prefer this being stated in the Spidicules rules. Like, "remove Cooking from the Innovation deck" etc. It's frustrating that in your game with this Expansion you can get components that are basically useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for mentioning, that means my work is being appreciated.
Currently I'm stuffed with work but that's an idea I can add to my KDM to-do list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mb
I think a meat peddler would work as a settlement event card.

When they arrive you can swap any number of monster specific resources for random monster specific resources from chosen decks, or for 2 from the basic resource deck

Example
You have 5 spidicules resources you don't want
You discard 1 and randomly draw from the antelope deck and don't get what you want
You discard a second and randomly draw again from the antelope deck and get the resource you want
You spend the third to draw a random card from the Phoenix deck, hoping for an early katana
The fourth you spend to randomly draw two from the basic resource deck
The fifth you keep.

I'm a,so hoping for the expansions to be more integrated into the main games (with an expansions expansion), allowing for new combinations of resources or different ways of making the same resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.