Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth G
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone. I've been working on a wargame design for the past few years and am busy putting the map together. This is my first time trying to do cartography and I'd love some feedback, both from a strategic as well as an aesthetic point of view.

Thanks

Gareth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Just on the to of my head, I think some vegetation - even dry - should stand out, like in crumbling desert. So some dark yellow, hay-like patches should be visible, as well as darker burnt ones.

Also, and that is only me, I would make all the map a little more Mars-orange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth G
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Boulter
United Kingdom
Bristol
UK
flag msg tools
knowledge is power
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice effort sir! Reminds me of Grav Armor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Looks quite nice. The Grav Armor comparison is apt. The hex coordinates at the bottom of the hex are a bit odd; normally they are at the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth G
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
M St wrote:
Looks quite nice. The Grav Armor comparison is apt. The hex coordinates at the bottom of the hex are a bit odd; normally they are at the top.

Noted thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite attractive. My only comment is on playability - somewhere (in the rules presumably) to be sure to be explicit about terrain effects and whether they apply if a hex only has a little bit of that terrain feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really nice. I especially like the mountain artwork. Wendel makes a great point in his comment as this has been a sticky issue in many a wargame.

I can't say whether or not you would need to add anything to the map at all. In my opinion, the rules and the subject matter would dictate whether or not anything needed to be added or changed.

What is the game subject by the way? Is this historical or sci-fi or other?

EDIT: I had the map blown up full size and missed the title at the bottom which would have answered my last question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumis Dalidalisa
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What software did you use to make the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Harris
msg tools
Wow. Looks pretty sweet. I think compared to the mountain areas the normal hexes seem a bit dull although that may only be this photo

What software did you make this in? Did it take a long time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't make sense to me. You have all that water and no vegetation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
It's quite attractive. My only comment is on playability - somewhere (in the rules presumably) to be sure to be explicit about terrain effects and whether they apply if a hex only has a little bit of that terrain feature.

Additionally, your mountain hexes look to have very different inclines on the same hex (see for example hex 08.09). If approaches from different sides have different effects that should be very clear. If they don't, be sure that when you do your terrain effects chart you are showing both the steeper incline as well as the flatter incline as the same value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth G
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cazzer505 wrote:
Wow. Looks pretty sweet. I think compared to the mountain areas the normal hexes seem a bit dull although that may only be this photo

What software did you make this in? Did it take a long time?

This was made in Adobe Photoshop and took about 6 hours.

The theme is post apocalyptic (think Mad Max meets Fallout).

I'd be happy to share a Vassal module once I get the playtest build up and running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth G
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Additionally, your mountain hexes look to have very different inclines on the same hex (see for example hex 08.09). If approaches from different sides have different effects that should be very clear. If they don't, be sure that when you do your terrain effects chart you are showing both the steeper incline as well as the flatter incline as the same value.

Thanks for the advice.

I was contemplating treating all mountain hexes as the same type (irrespective of incline) - I realise that realistically a smaller hill would be easier to summit than a vast peak, but for playability I was just going to say something along the lines of "All hex's that contain any mountainous terrain are considered Mountains for the purposes of play, and entering a Mountain hex costs 3 AP" (or something along those lines)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frenzykitty wrote:

I'd be happy to share a Vassal module once I get the playtest build up and running.

I've always wanted to get into hex–and–counter cartography. Your map looks quite professional, reminiscent of something from Lock 'n Load Publishing. Could I trouble you for a tutorial?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth G
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SeriousCat wrote:
frenzykitty wrote:

I've always wanted to get into hex–and–counter cartography. Your map looks quite professional, reminiscent of something from Lock 'n Load Publishing. Could I trouble you for a tutorial?

Wow thank you very much! Of course. Give me some time to figure it out more clearly in my own head and then I'd definitely be happy to help! Send me a geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frenzykitty wrote:

I was contemplating treating all mountain hexes as the same type (irrespective of incline) - I realise that realistically a smaller hill would be easier to summit than a vast peak, but for playability I was just going to say something along the lines of "All hex's that contain any mountainous terrain are considered Mountains for the purposes of play, and entering a Mountain hex costs 3 AP" (or something along those lines)

Yes this would definitely work. I mention this because I played a game sometime in the past 6 months or so--can't remember which one!!--where the terrain was meant to be differentiated in this way yet the designers failed to make it clear which elevation was the predominant one in any given hex. It was irritating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
The overall look is sharp and professional. My only question is why all the large standing bodies of water in what is otherwise a rather barren plain? Also, do you have rules in mind for conflict on those bodies of water?

Overall, excellent, excellent effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Visually, very nice. If you don't mind some nitpicking, I would complain that the actual geography doesn't make much sense. The main thing that pops out is the water at the bottom right, which appears to start in the plains, go up over the mountains as a stream, and then come out again on the plains. A quick fix for that one would be to surround that small lake with mountains, so it's at a plausibly high enough elevation to be the source of a mountain stream. The other thing that I would say is that the specific arrangement of the mountains (and to some extent, the water) doesn't jive with what we see in the real world; I would expect to see some kind of evidence that the mountains are part of a chain or are otherwise the result of natural, geological processes.

Anyway, I realize that it's a sci-fi setting, so this isn't terribly important. I wouldn't expect you to completely redesign the layout after this. Just figured it might be useful for other endeavors. Either way, keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming that all mountain hexes cost the same for access and defense.

What are those wispy lines? Dried river beds? Low slopes? Artistic lines with no effect?

Looks great, BTW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lower
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
Just ordered WV's Up Front Banzai. Very excited!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gareth -

Your color palette choice is very nice. It is subtle and the different elements work well together. Color-wise they look like they belong.

Depending on your rules, you may consider little circles in the center of the hexes for LOS calculation. Conflict of Heroes uses them and they don't detract from the look of the map. But, again, that depends on your rules.

The last thing that you might consider is this: the rivers and sand on the map have a nice, blended, fuzzy look to them, while the mountains look very sharp, like glass shards. I might consider adding some noise or blur to the mountains to make them fit in with the look of the other elements. The sand and the river appear as if you are viewing them from above thorough some atmosphere, while the base and the peaks of the mountains look unnaturally sharp.

I want to be clear: these are minor suggestions. You've done a great job!

Best of luck to you!

- Jeff
http://squadpainter.blogspot.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lamb
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive first effort! I think it looks pretty great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
First Image Ever of a Hydrogen Atom's Electron Cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice gradient/texture work on the rivers and flat hexes. For the mountains, I would say there are too many "circular" features, it looks a little unnatural. (Unless they're supposed to be craters.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
frenzykitty wrote:
Hey everyone. I've been working on a wargame design for the past few years and am busy putting the map together. This is my first time trying to do cartography and I'd love some feedback, both from a strategic as well as an aesthetic point of view.

Thanks

Gareth

surprise "Embiggened" for better/lazier viewer viewing purposes now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.