United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a mechanics over theme dude in general. A good game with mediocre art or a pasted on theme is fine with me. But I saw the box for this and was just drawn to it. It hit me in the aesthetic center of my brain, which like early grinch's early heart is three sizes too small. I loved the markered over look of the Z and the rest. I was sold. I picked up the game knowing Martin Wallace was involved but if the designer had been Randle McMurphy I still would have been in.

I get it home and follow the standard ritual which is waiting for
April Olin
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to get home as she has first dibs on punching cardboard. She gets it punched and hands me the bits in the box top and my love for the aesthetics deepens. The player order markers are basically found cast offs from a society circling the drain. A punch card for a burger joint in ruins, a department store name tag from a place most likely burned down, an insurance card and a credit card that has no use in a place where plastic has no meaning. It was clever and creative and I just kept falling deeper into the theme. The cards used for missions, especially the third set looked like playing cards picked up off a muddy no longer used thoroughfare. Not just one print of dried on mud in the same places on each card, they each looked different and weathered. I was drawn in further. The resources are bottle caps and as none of you know I am a huge Fallout fan so that hit me in the right place as well. If is simply a beautiful presentation and the finest capturing of a feeling of society breaking down that I can remember.

I have not played the game yet and I can't imagine it can live up to the spot on feeling the game gives me. I looked at the solo rules and I will try it once, but it strikes me as a little hollow. I want my first game to be with four players. I expect it to be a bit dry which I will remedy with a glass of bourbon while playing but I think it will be fun. I do not expect amazing, well really I go into almost every game with no expectations and just experience it and see how it goes. Even if it doesn't find an audience in me I will display the box if only as a weird piece of gaming art. If it is terrible maybe I will learn how to make a shadow box if only to display a beautifully themed game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
There was a reviewer who talked about how the box cover, bottle caps, and even card backs had this 1950's "Fallout" theme while the card art was more modern. Watching the video I drew the same conclusion, which is that the theme is great in spots and not in others. He also complained about the meeples. What are your thoughts? Does the art on the cards match up to the theme? Like the meeples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't want to spoil the surprise of the cards before playing so I didn't look. As soon as I play I will update and do a mechanical review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The art on the cards is definitely of this time. There are a couple cards with vehicles and weapons that did not exit in the era of the art on the box. I'm not going to go so far as it is an expression of how the way we view the 50s was really this romanticized veneer that glosses over the rampant racism, sexism and bad things that happened in that era and they were highlighting that juxtaposition because I have no idea. However that is how it is playing out in my head, there is this candy coating of the idealized the all American road trip but at the core it is a gritty horrible trip full of danger and death which brings things back to reality.

I am totally not making excuses for it but the dichotomy of the art styles actually kind of works for me. It provides a dissonance that a Zombie apocalypse would. It leaves things feeling slightly off kilter and at odds and I am ok with that. Right now I look at a gas station and see a place to get gas and snag a can of a random energy drink before a third shift night but during a zombie apocalypse it is suddenly somewhere I hope may have life sustaining food or fuel that I need to move around and I have to wonder if someone is camped out there waiting to kill me and take my stuff. Two ways to look at the same place under different circumstances. I am most likely reading way too much into this. I admit that.

I had the game set up for a solo game last night but I couldn't bring myself to play it that way. I think that I have to play it four players first time to get the full experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
Sounds just about as disappointing as I suspected it may be. Prior to this I would have said Space Cowboys, insta-buy. This game seems like it was slapped together in a haphazard fashion. Disjointed art, out of place meeples, and probably most disappointing - first Cowboys game with no custom insert. It seems like a game that I would like if I look past these things, but I hardly want to encourage this sort of laziness in Space Cowboys future endeavors.

Anyhow, thank you for posting your impressions. It was a nice little read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was told that the basis of the components in this game were as follows:

This is the game that Martin Wallace would design if he were in a zombie apocalypse and survived to make it to a relatively safe compound. He themes the game as the zombie apocalypse he's surviving. The game is produced to reflect the idea that he would have to use stuff he found around the compound because he couldn't just produce new cards, boards, etc. Hence you have a box from another game that's repurposed, meeples and cards from other games such as Dixit and 7 Wonders being repurposed, and of course bottle caps and other junk.

Personally I love the components for this game and see them as the biggest selling point. The thing that kept us from buying it was that, in the end, it's just a push your luck dice game. It has very good ideas in it such as bidding for turn order with resources that you may need to fight the zombies and I found that the tension was great with those little bids and bets playing off of each other. However, if I'm going to sit down for a push your luck dice game, I want it to be a fairly quick game and this seemed to go quite a while longer than I would want for that type of game. The demo we played was 3 rounds shorter than the full game and it went over an hour and a half. So for me, good game, very fun idea for a game (component wise), but it over stayed its welcome with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
manustrium wrote:
I was told that the basis of the components in this game were as follows:

This is the game that Martin Wallace would design if he were in a zombie apocalypse and survived to make it to a relatively safe compound. He themes the game as the zombie apocalypse he's surviving. The game is produced to reflect the idea that he would have to use stuff he found around the compound because he couldn't just produce new cards, boards, etc. Hence you have a box from another game that's repurposed, meeples and cards from other games such as Dixit and 7 Wonders being repurposed, and of course bottle caps and other junk.

Personally I love the components for this game and see them as the biggest selling point. The thing that kept us from buying it was that, in the end, it's just a push your luck dice game. It has very good ideas in it such as bidding for turn order with resources that you may need to fight the zombies and I found that the tension was great with those little bids and bets playing off of each other. However, if I'm going to sit down for a push your luck dice game, I want it to be a fairly quick game and this seemed to go quite a while longer than I would want for that type of game. The demo we played was 3 rounds shorter than the full game and it went over an hour and a half. So for me, good game, very fun idea for a game (component wise), but it over stayed its welcome with us.

Hmm thats interesting. When explained like that it makes sense. Regarding playing time, it is listed as 30-60 minutes. Your demo went 1.5 hours. Does anyone else have any experience with the time? Could it be the first game or two takes a bit longer, or is the BGG play time off (wouldn't be the first time)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.