Legendary: Paint the Town Red» Forums » General

Subject: Brutal setup or expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

My wife and I are pretty big Legendary fans and we just got paint the town red. We have the Guardians and the Dark City expansions too. We are pretty good at the game and we win more than we lose. I would estimate about 75% of the time we win. We even play with a house rule that requires one more hit to the mastermind after their tactics are gone. Sometimes I increase the amount of scheme twists for an additional challenge.

Paint the Town Red is destroying us. I'm typically stubborn if we lose and I like to keep trying with the same villian and hero deck until we win. We have lost all seven of the games that we played with the setup below. It's worth noting that win or lose we are having fun. However, I'm curious on if this expansion drastically changed the difficulty or if we stumbled upon a brutal setup? We haven't played any other setup yet but I can tell that my wife wants to move on

Any takers on this 2 player setup? I'd love to hear if someone was able to beat this scenario because I'm not sure we can.

Scheme: Invade the Daily Bugle News

Mastermind: Mysterio
Villians: Sinister Six
Emissaries of Evil
Henchmen: Phalanx

Hero's: Symbiote Spider-Man
Spider-Woman
Scarlet Spider
Spiderman
Iron Fist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird, you have a (probably) cherry-picked set of heroes comboing the wazoo out of each other (drawing a buttload of cards), lots and lots of cheap cards for the most part. One Uncommon Symbiote Spider-Man should be hitting 20+ Attack by himself.

Invade the Daily Bugle News HQ is also one of the easiest Schemes in the game, along with Mysterio who is a weak Mastermind, his gimmick is that you just need to hit and hit and hit (saying those things as I've never lost that Scheme or to Mysterio), plus he's a measly 8 Attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, Mysterious is a tough Mastermind. Sure, his base attack is low, but his Master Strike and tactics make him a PITA, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
To me, Mysterious is a tough Mastermind. Sure, his base attack is low, but his Master Strike and ta[q="Thud105"]To me, Mysterious is a tough Mastermind. Sure, his base attack is low, but his Master Strike and tactics make him a PITA, IMHO.

This is what we are experiencing with this setup. We can hit Mysterio but not consistently because there isn't anything to weed out the agents. He basically just delays with his masterstrike and tactics which is bad for this scheme. Also, with a lot of cards that cost two to recruit you will go through your hero deck quicker which will cause you to draw a henchmen or two. Not having tech for the Phalanx will help weed out a few troopers but they it starts to become a problem later on in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in general I lose most of my games, but I'll try this two handed and let you know, always love a good challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you figured out how to combo with wall-crawl yet?

I remember it taking me a while to get my head around that, I was so much in the habit of playing all my cards and then deciding what to recruit and what to attack. With PtTR it's often better to play part of your hand, recruit or hit something, and then carry on. Couple of examples:

Play two SHIELD agents, recruit Flip Out to the top of your deck, play a spider-man card, draw Flip Out, play Flip Out and draw another card.

You have Dark Strength in your hand, but you're not sure what's on top of your deck. Play two SHIELD agents, recruit another copy of Dark Strength to the top of your deck. Play the one in your hand for a guaranteed 3 attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried your setup yet, but be wary of being too stubborn about winning every setup. I've found that some of them are almost impossible to win and require a lot of luck. You have to let some of them go.

But thanks for posting this, it might be a fun challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried a few more times and lost, lost, and lost. My stubbornness finally gave in and we moved on. I'm not sure I agree with Invade the Daily Bugle News being one of the easiest schemes in the game. This scheme relies on luck a lot more than others. Three or four games we played we lost two HQ spots by the second or third turn. There's nothing you can do about that either. Also, I think the hero's in this expansion are fairly underpowered compared to the core or Guardians. They don't have enough umph to consistently win this setup. I haven't tried but I'm pretty certain that I wouldn't have that much trouble with this setup if I swapped the PtTR hero's with anything from the core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.