Subject: Idol of the Clenched Fist clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
which events "force" you to discard? None in the jungle deck that I see. Or does this mean that you can reveal but not discard blocking cards to block attacks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Temple of the Sun forces a discard from hand, and that's the main thing the Idol is meant to pair with at this point. The City Event "A Change of Plans" also has forced discarding, and there will be more - I expect in some later pack combinations the Idol will be much in demand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
The Temple of the Sun forces a discard from hand, and that's the main thing the Idol is meant to pair with at this point. The City Event "A Change of Plans" also has forced discarding, and there will be more - I expect in some later pack combinations the Idol will be much in demand

given the wording on that card, it seems like Idol should also prevent requiring a discard when blocking, or requiring a discard on recycling. The problem is, to my reading, none of them "force" a discard since the action is voluntary to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A good point, I'll revise to make that clearer. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not to harp on this: but what exactly would be considered a "forced" discard as opposed to a "regular" discard? what is the distinction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll look at rewording to improve this; hopefully explaining here will help to work out what needs further clarification. If there's still confusion, please keep asking until we get it straightened out!

The intention is that the Idol is a protection against an external attack that would make you discard cards.

If discarding a card is a cost of something you choose to activate, then that's not forced - you're choosing to discard voluntarily in order to receive a benefit.

If a rule on a card you don't control tells you that you must discard a card, as in "choose one park card to keep and discard all other park cards", then the discard aspect isn't a choice and is forced, and the Idol would allow you to ignore the discard instruction.

Note that the Idol only applies to events, which are effects from Event cards, City event cards, and Park card abilities which take place in the Events step.

So the Idol doesn't exempt you from discarding when you draw cards in the Park step, or from discarding down to 5 cards in the Cleanup step.

Note also that the Idol applies to cards which are actually in your hand, not to cards which you're just working with, such as during Special Offers, or the Robopocalypse, where the cards haven't entered your hand before being discarded.

So to summarise: a forced discard is when the affected card is in your hand, and you receive an instruction from an event which you do not control to discard that card.

EDIT: I realised after posting that the Temple of the Sun is in your control, even though the discarding effect isn't an activation cost for the coin effect, it's a result. So I'll need to modify that definition.

A forced discard is when the affected card is in your hand, and you receive an instruction from an event to discard that card. Any discard that is required to activate the event ("as an extra cost, discard a card", or "discard this card to..." ) aren't included; the event isn't active until after its costs are paid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I see where you are going with this. Clenched fist is supposed to block "penalizing" discards. First thought would be to use a different word but a discard is still a discard (not like say "trash" in Dominion where the card goes to a different place). "forced discard" sounds clunky. Hmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.