Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I've played many board games on the iPad vs the AI, pass-n-play, and over a network with a friend. I have a few questions to expand this experience:

1) What is the best voice option to use when gaming? Phone? Skype? Something else?

2) Do any board games on iOS have organized (or even informal) tournaments, league play, ladder matches, or community to join or is online gaming restricted to friends and quick play vs randoms?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinto wrote:
Hello, I've played many board games on the iPad vs the AI, pass-n-play, and over a network with a friend. I have a few questions to expand this experience:

1) What is the best voice option to use when gaming? Phone? Skype? Something else?

Either of these should do. AFAIK, these are really only suited for those you know.

Pinto wrote:
2) Do any board games on iOS have organized (or even informal) tournaments, league play, ladder matches, or community to join or is online gaming restricted to friends and quick play vs randoms?

Thanks.

Ascension has had at least 1 (or even 2?) online tournaments from time to time via the iOS apps. IIRC, you're provided the usernames of those you're competing with. Double elimination. All matches needed to be finished within a certain time period (like within 3 weeks), but since it's online async, no need to schedule in specific times. In the case of a tie, note whose score has the "glowing effect" because that's the winner.

Perhaps Carcassonne too?

You can try going to each of those game entries and navigating to Organized Play, or you can try posting on the Organized Play section somewhere of BGG in general
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms (deck builder game) has a large tournament community on BGG, you need to buy the app (and expansions to a degree) I've played a few seasons and it's well run.

See this thread..
[geekurl = http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1354680]Star Realms[/geekurl]

8 edits later and you can now click the link...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Decorations everywhere!
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing with folks who also are using iOS devices, you can use Facetime audio. In our group, we use an iphone for the facetime call and play on our ipads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ngwilliam wrote:
If you're playing with folks who also are using iOS devices, you can use Facetime audio. In our group, we use an iphone for the facetime call and play on our ipads.

Can the OP use the same iPad to play iOS games and facetime?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Boardspace.net ipad (and android) client is exactly the same
as the traditional java client. There's a lobby where players
can gather, chat, arrange games, etc.

Same for tantrix.com

AFAIK these are the only places where people using different
types of devices can play together.

Voice/Video is an interesting question. It's not generally
possible on mobiles to use skype or a similar program at
the same time as a game client. On IOS/Android, each app
is an island, and only one can be active at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Decorations everywhere!
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
ngwilliam wrote:

Can the OP use the same iPad to play iOS games and facetime?

Should be able to. I should have said: my husband and I use the phone because we can place it halfway between us and both talk/hear our friend we play with online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.