D-Day at Tarawa» Forums » Rules

Subject: Japanese Counterattack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mb
Got this wonderful event on Turn 5 which means that huge force on turn 6 got severely whittled down by the lovely artillery. A couple of questions arised though that I've been unsuccesful at seeing if I did it right or not.

1) The card had 2 yellow, 1 red and 2 purple squares. The rulebook said "active positions" get a depth. I couldn't find what active meant so I assumed that EVERY occupied position on the board matching those colors that didn't already have depth got one. I thought this was right but it severly depleted my depth marker pool and it's only turn 6 so I'm second guessing myself. I wasn't sure if "active" might mean revealed but that didn't seem harsh enough for a counterattack.

2) On an (A) assault a US unit was 2 tiles away but not in a position hex. I did the assault and moved the japanese back to their original position after winning. In another assault the japanese assaulted a US unit in a position hex and won (US left combat) - in that case I left the japanese in the assaulted position hex and moved the retreated US unit one square away. Did I play both of these correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
First, 2)
Yes, you did both correctly.

Now on to 1)
You probably do not know, but there is an errata for DDaT that deals with the very issue you're having trouble with in the Counterattack. The answer is (and I am paraphrasing): Stop putting depth markers on ANY Japanese units for a Japanese Counterattack event.

You were actually doing it correctly. Every position whose color matches the firing card colors will receive a depth marker if it does (did, since it's now abolished) already have one. As you see, if you get the counterattack on Turn 5, it means the Marines would be fighting uphill the rest of the day, and that's too much to ask.

So to summarize: Errata removed the step in which you add depth markers during the Counterattack process.

If you poke around the Rules forum, you will find those (by Butterfield himself in several cases) and the errata can be downloaded here or via the webisite for the game itself.

Among OTHER important changes:
A position is considered Marined-controlled (for victory purposes only) if it is not in the INTENSE field of fire of any occupied japanese position.

The victory conditions have changed so that you don't need to hold so many positions in order to receive a win.

Support-type Engineer units need not be in a beach hex to qualify for a support marker. (big change, as it means they can get out of random artillery fire)

The Turn 3 HQs cannot drift or be destroyed during approach.

Two 1-step LVTs may combine to carry a 4-step Marine unit.

Those are the big ones I can recall.

It's still a VERY hard game to win, but this answers your question and will get you some relief to some confusion and game balance issues.

I play with some house rules I'm VERY happy with and don't upset the balance of play in my favor too much.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mb
Thank you - that helps a great deal! The main reason I didn't think that that way was correct is the card I drew had 2 double color activations it would have meant the counterattack would have been extremely feeble this early in the game (not many depth markers so only a couple of spots would have activated) which seemed to not be the intent of it. Although a counterattack isn't necessarily an all out counterattack.

At this point I finished that turn. I could go back as I can recall mostly what happened but I think I'll play it out and see what happens.

Edit: do you know where the errata is? I foiund the Addenda but it doesn't cover that. Are these just forum posts by the designer?

Edit#2 - found it! https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1496356/updates-d-day-taraw...

Apparently I had the OLD version of the Addenda! Didn't realize there was an updated one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.